Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Final Round: SGTCYM

I gotta say...this song is just too beautiful for words.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 07-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Miss Vicky
This message has been deleted by Miss Vicky.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I can't keep up with the rules in my OWN Survivor game over on ledge #1 let alone the rules here, so please count my Holiday Road vote.
Your vote is in the subject line; hence, it will be counted.

I admit I was surprised when I saw you were running a Survivor. You are much too laid back to do it properly. Only anal control freak perfectionists can run this game in an orderly fashion! Luckily I meet all those requirements. Rezamatic is more normal and well-adjusted, but I am working on him.

Old 07-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default The winner!

Results for FINAL ROUND: THE WINNER IS....

HOLIDAY ROAD!!!

With 12 votes, “Holiday Road” is the winner of Non-Album Survivor!

Breakdown of Votes:
Holiday Road – sodascouts
Holiday Road – trackaghost
Holiday Road – msLinds
Holiday Road – faceofglass
Holiday Road – David
Holiday Road – macmar71
Holiday Road – golden braid
Holiday Road – AliP
Holiday Road – Mari
Holiday Road – Patti
Holiday Road – Dreammms
Holiday Road – GypsySorcerer
Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind – Lux
Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind – CreepingDeath
Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind – ontheEdgeof17
Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind – wondergirl9847
Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind – ReFleetwoodMac
Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind – Miss Vicky
Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind – Hawkeye
Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind – JohnnyStew
Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind – Moony
Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind – Nico

----------------

Voted off:
Twisted 07/19/05
Dancin’ ’Cross the USA 07/20/05
On the Wrong Side 7/21/05
Time Bomb Town 7/22/05
Someone’s Gotta Change Your Mind 7/23/05

Great game! That’s all for now!!

Old 07-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm kind of surprised "Holiday Road" won. Not that it's not a great song, I guess I just assumed the majority of LB fans would go with something a little more substantive and less commercial.

I was also curious as to how "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" would fare against the winners of the album survivors.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Disgraceful. People simply haven't a clue. Tsk.
Agreed.

I like Holiday Road, but it's pure fluff.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I'm kind of surprised "Holiday Road" won. Not that it's not a great song, I guess I just assumed the majority of LB fans would go with something a little more substantive and less commercial.
Now, that sounds a bit like a chastisement, but I know it can't be, because it was written by a man who has argued quite often on the fallacy of dismissing a song as lesser quality simply because it is commercially viable.

Lindsey manages to make a song both quirky and appealing to the mainstream, not an easy feat, and one for which he should be lauded. The fact that he can make a song with so few words speak to people is again a testament to his talent.

Finally, perhaps all Lindsey fans do not fall into the predictable stereotype that you seem to have bought into.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Finally, perhaps all Lindsey fans do not fall into the predictable stereotype that you seem to have bought into.

On the other hand, maybe the results would've been different if so many Ledgies weren't on vacation.

I fail to find anything that "speaks" to me in "Holiday Road." Maybe I'm just missing something.

It's fun, but it's fluff.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Um...

Do all songs have to speak to you folks? Do all songs have to have a message? LOL

YAY for Holiday Road!! All of these songs are awesome.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
Do all songs have to speak to you folks? Do all songs have to have a message? LOL

YAY for Holiday Road!! All of these songs are awesome.
Nancy said that LB managed to write a song that spoke to people even though it has very few actual lyrics. However, I seriously doubt that it actually "speaks" to many people in the manner she seemed to be suggesting. That's all I was saying.

As for myself... does a song need to have a message for me to like it? No.
Does it need one in order to be my favorite? Absolutely.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Now, that sounds a bit like a chastisement, but I know it can't be, because it was written by a man who has argued quite often on the fallacy of dismissing a song as lesser quality simply because it is commercially viable.

Lindsey manages to make a song both quirky and appealing to the mainstream, not an easy feat, and one for which he should be lauded.
I definitely think it's a grave mistake to dismiss a song for being commercial... though I don't think that's what I was doing here. I just think that "SGCYM" has qualities I would expect LB fans would appreciate more, as he seems to be offering a rare glimpse into his more gentle, vulnerable side. And, while doing that, retains the typical "Buckingham stamp," with the quirky production on the layered "I know (I know), I know (I know)" lines of the chorus.

As much as I love "Holiday Road," it can't help but seem like a mere trifle in comparison.

Quote:
Of course they do! We're all a bunch of raging stereotypes around here, don't ya know that?

Now, I shall go twirl!
Old 07-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
What she said.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

I'm late with this pretentious response, since I was on a "holiday road". (Excuse the lame pun.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I just think that "SGCYM" has qualities I would expect LB fans would appreciate more, as he seems to be offering a rare glimpse into his more gentle, vulnerable side.
For me "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" is a piece that is in the singer-songwriter territory, in a similar way to something like "Save Me A Place" or "Street Of Dreams" (both songs I know you dislike, albeit "Street Of Dreams" and "SGCYM" both are far more convincing atmospherically than "SMAP"). It is not a typical mode for Lindsey Buckingham, it is a mode you'd expect from someone like Bob Dylan, John Lennon, or hell, even Stevie Nicks. It is a mode where the appeal is usually to be found in the intimacy of the piece, the warmth of the vocal, the introspective lyrics and such. And it is something Lindsey Buckingham has gotten himself into only a few times during his career. So no matter how much I love "SGCYM", it won't ever find its way into my biggest favourites. Lindsey Buckingham didn't come here to bare his soul in the manners that singer-songwriters do (even though he might have done it a few times), he came here to dazzle us with his instrumental colours, to emotionally show all the various sides of his personality, his heartbreak, his spiritual uplift, his happiness, his hyperactive nuttiness, his violent and depression, through his music. "SGCYM" does show us his vulnerable side, but as I said, it is shown only in the more traditional manner of the singer-songwriters. I believe his vulnerability is present in almost anything he does, but not in the same way as in "SGCYM".
Quote:
I fail to find anything that "speaks" to me in "Holiday Road."
To me "Holiday Road" is a deeply resonating artistic masterpiece, but then I am a person who believes that all emotions are equal to each other, and that no emotion is deeper than the other. Thus the have-fun attitude that one should immediately find in "Holiday Road" is no less deeper than the introspectiveness of "SGCYM", the male depression of "Street Of Dreams" or the violent imagery of something like "Play In The Rain" or "Murrow".

What is the message of "Holiday Road"? To me it goes as follows: "forget all your troubles, let your hair down, go out and have some fun". It's a deep universal message that anyone can identify with. But then the world we live in has made things seem so that such a message is seen as superficial and empty, whereas songs that deal with sadness, depression, longing, yearning and such, are seen as "heavy and important". To me that's a false assumption. Just because it is more difficult and less acceptable to talk about the latter than the former it is assumed that it's therefore "heavier and more important"? Bah.
Quote:
Another thing that I personally don't approve of here is the suggestion that the only way you can find a particular message in a particular song is to look at the lyrics. But then it isn't surprising, considering that there are people on this board who consider the lyrics the "meat" of a particular song, and that the music is only "gravy". Therefore it is easy to assume that a wordier piece is deeper and that something with minimal lyrics is therefore less deep. To me the message of a particular song, no matter what it is, is conveyed through music as well, the way the whole thing is arranged and performed, the way the atmosphere of the piece is created. Lyrics are only a part of creating that overall impression. So when I speak of the message of "Holiday Road" I take into account the entire piece and choose not to just stare at the lyrics written on a piece of paper in front of me. "Holiday Road" may boast less sophisticated production than most of Lindsey's other work, but that underproduction only serves to emphasize the message of the track.

Since I believe that Lindsey Buckingham's career as a whole is a collection of diverse emotions, I also believe that "Holiday Road" plays an important part in that whole, it presents another important side of him to his listeners and serves as the necessary piece of unpretentiousness just before the release of his most pretentious album. And in the collection of diverse emotions that his career as a whole is, it is no less worthy than any other part of it.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 07-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What he said!
Old 07-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Follow the leader.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
What is the message of "Holiday Road"? To me it goes as follows: "forget all your troubles, let your hair down, go out and have some fun". It's a deep universal message that anyone can identify with. But then the world we live in has made things seem so that such a message is seen as superficial and empty, whereas songs that deal with sadness, depression, longing, yearning and such, are seen as "heavy and important". To me that's a false assumption. Just because it is more difficult and less acceptable to talk about the latter than the former it is assumed that it's therefore "heavier and more important"? Bah.

Another thing that I personally don't approve of here is the suggestion that the only way you can find a particular message in a particular song is to look at the lyrics. But then it isn't surprising, considering that there are people on this board who consider the lyrics the "meat" of a particular song, and that the music is only "gravy". Therefore it is easy to assume that a wordier piece is deeper and that something with minimal lyrics is therefore less deep. To me the message of a particular song, no matter what it is, is conveyed through music as well, the way the whole thing is arranged and performed, the way the atmosphere of the piece is created. Lyrics are only a part of creating that overall impression.
Agreeing totally, I don't think "holiday road" is the best example of it, but that's a matter of taste. You just gave words to my love for Given Thing, IKINW, NTF,The Ledge and That's Enough For Me, Hell, even Turn It On.
Thank you VERY much.

still the same selfindulgent buttheadiness, huh Gaius? Ramble on Fin, you make me smile and you deserve the presidency 100% with these posts.

Last edited by shackin'up; 07-31-2005 at 06:00 PM..
Old 07-31-2005, 07:02 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.