User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
1. Chris' songwriting declined after 1979.
I felt this way about her 1984 solo album, but when I started to work out the songs on a piano I realized they were as well-structured and conceived as her earlier work. What differed was the production. And the attack. After 1979, The band (including, obviously Christine herself) used Christine's songs as vehicles for album sales. It was much more calculated. In doing so, they sometimes went for "radio-friendly generic pop"--especially on the Behind the Mask songs, but also with Everywhere.

Little Lies, Nights in Estoril, Hollywood, Love in Store, Temporary One...all of these Mac songs are really strong, IMO.

And her skills in In the Meantime are really in sharp focus, despite the blandness of the lyrics.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How are "The studio version of 'Silver Springs' is better than the live version" and "The live version of 'Silver Springs' is better than the studio version" both unpopular opinions?
Old 07-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
"Never going back again" is not such a crowd pleaser anyway.
The audience responds when he does ... whatever he thinks he is doing on NGBA. When he pauses they clap and go "oooh" or something. I'm not sure he knows it's not a crowd pleaser. Michele
Old 07-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1) It was the right decision to include I Don't Want to Know on Rumours rather than Silver Springs.
2) Since at least 2003, Lindsey has been a far more interesting songwriter than Stevie.
3) Christine's Tusk songs are underrated.
4) Behind the Mask is better than given credit for.
5) I love "Temporary One."
6) Stevie is terrible on the Live in Boston recording. Beautiful Child being the exception.
7) I like Over My Head better than Say You Love Me.
8) Caroline is unfairly maligned.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
3) Christine's Tusk songs are underrated.
Agree. If I had to pick my favorite album of Christine's songs, it would be Tusk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
5) I love "Temporary One."
Also agreed. Although I like to pretend it was about the band getting back together, rather than her relationship with Eddie.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
Agree. If I had to pick my favorite album of Christine's songs, it would be Tusk.

Also agreed. Although I like to pretend it was about the band getting back together, rather than her relationship with Eddie.
Mark me in agreement with Christine's Tusk songs, too. Although she comes close on Mirage, thanks to Hold Me and Love In Store.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd welcome Stand Back's return to the live show.
Welcome to the Room...Sara is great.
You and I Part 2 is much better than You and I Part 1.
Crystal is just dull.
Never been especially interested in The Dance...probably only ever played it a dozen or so times.
Wish You Were Here is epic- the best song on Mirage.
The video for In the Back of My Mind is good.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:37 AM
dawn_amanda

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I prefer old performances of Landslide - including the studio version - because I like the high notes she used to hit. Having said that, I do think the old live versions (1975) are ruined by the keyboard solo, it just doesn't really go IMO.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Registered

I think Chris' 1984 solo album is underrated. As was her 2004 one. ITM didn't chart in the U.S. at all.

I really like "Sweet Girl" and "Not Make Believe"

Stevie will join FM in the studio after the tour

The Dance version of "Landslide" is the best

With the exception of "Angel" and "Bermuda Triangle", I didn't like Bob Welch's songs on HAHTF

Time is not that bad (Except for "I Got It In For You")
Old 07-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Ledgie

This is my first post ever on here! My name is Katherine by the way, but you can call me Kate, or anything really. Nice to meet you all! This is so exciting. Okay here I go with my unpopular opinions (as I try to fit in on here with people who've been on here since probably before I was born in the 90s...)

1. Keep Me There is one of my favourite Chris songs, I'm consistently confused as to why most people don't love it from the reviews. I do, I really really love it.
2. I really like almost all of SYW.
3. I think jumping into a huge tour like this was not very well thought out and the effects are starting to show (is this unpopular? My apologies if its not).
4. Caroline and TITN are my favourite Lindsey songs off TITN, I'm not crazy about Big Love at all.
5. World Turning is one of my favourite songs and it makes me optimistic for what Lindsey and Chris may do in the future.
6. I love the accordion, I wish it was incorporated into more songs.
7. I think that if all 5 don't do another album/tour, then there's no point. At this time, so much material has been released under different lineups that unless all 5 of them sign on, it seems like there's no point.
8. I love every single song on the White Album. Yes, every single song I love and they all hold a strong place in my heart. The entire thing. So there.

That's all! I hope I made sense, as this is my first post. Talk to some of you soon hopefully!
Old 07-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalline_ View Post
This is my first post ever on here! My name is Katherine by the way, but you can call me Kate, or anything really. Nice to meet you all! This is so exciting. Okay here I go with my unpopular opinions (as I try to fit in on here with people who've been on here since probably before I was born in the 90s...)

1. Keep Me There is one of my favourite Chris songs, I'm consistently confused as to why most people don't love it from the reviews. I do, I really really love it.
3. I think jumping into a huge tour like this was not very well thought out and the effects are starting to show (is this unpopular? My apologies if its not).
4. Caroline and TITN are my favourite Lindsey songs off TITN, I'm not crazy about Big Love at all.
5. World Turning is one of my favourite songs and it makes me optimistic for what Lindsey and Chris may do in the future.
7. I think that if all 5 don't do another album/tour, then there's no point. At this time, so much material has been released under different lineups that unless all 5 of them sign on, it seems like there's no point.
8. I love every single song on the White Album. Yes, every single song I love and they all hold a strong place in my heart. The entire thing. So there.

That's all! I hope I made sense, as this is my first post. Talk to some of you soon hopefully!
Agreed!
Old 07-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalline_ View Post

Hi Kate,
Keep Me There???? I don't think I've ever heard anyone be critical of that. I agree its terrific.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have no issues with Chris's tunes but I'm still burned up over why "Hold Me" was left out of this tour setlist.

Does anybody have the reasons why she axed the great hit tune from the setlist.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Hi Kate,
Keep Me There???? I don't think I've ever heard anyone be critical of that. I agree its terrific.
Yeah! Before I got the super deluxe 4CD Rumours, I was looking at the reviews for it, the reviews where they review every single song is what I landed on (normally I don't read those) but anyway I did. All of the ones for Keep Me There were mostly negative, like "nothing special" or "glad this didn't make it onto the album" or "definitely not required a listen". I love it!
Old 07-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post

I put part of those lyrics on the back of my father's funeral program:

The river goes on and on, and the
Sea that divides us is a
Temporary one, and the
Bridge will bring us back together