The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Falafel's Drive-In in San Jose is amazing. It's been on the Food Network and a bunch of other random shows. It's been around since the 50s and feels like it-- neon light-up signs, the full deal. The best $7.50 you can ever spend: large falafel sandwich and a banana shake, their famous special.

Also in San Jose/suburbs:
Straits (http://www.straitsrestaurants.com/in...p?section=13): I usually go to the Santana Row location. I seriously think that you can order anything off of this menu and leave super happy.
Dio Deka (http://www.diodeka.com): awesome Greek food in my home town.

In San Francisco, EVERYWHERE is good. But if you want some awesome Cuban food and a fantastic atmosphere, go to Cha Cha Cha. Their fried plantains are magic. But expect a RIDICULOUS wait at either location (even on any given weekday-- I was there tonight and the wait was an hour and a half for a table for two when we walked in at 8) so reservations are a must. So delicious.
http://www.cha3.com/

Last edited by daniellaaarisen; 12-30-2009 at 04:20 PM..
Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I drove by the Buffalo Bew Pub last night & realized that I was remiss in leaving it off my list. Then I see that Cammie yelled at me for it. So yes, great wings as well as burgers & sandwiches & salads & stuff. It's in the 'burbs, in Williamsville/Amherst area.

Also, Seabar downtown for great Asian fusion/sushi place.

Thai food? Saigon Bangkok or Thai Orchid Cafe.

Steakhouse? Fiamma. Hands down.

Burgers? Grover's, a littel dive bar/restaurant that was just recently featured on some Food Network show, can't recalll which.

I don't know why I'm listing so many, it's not like anyone visits Buffalo unless they have family here or they are coming in for a show or sporting event.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
I don't know why I'm listing so many, it's not like anyone visits Buffalo unless they have family here or they are coming in for a show or sporting event.
i beg to differ.

buffalo: come for the wings, stay for the gourds.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustdrummer View Post
nah, too chewy, no taste.
I'll take the hillbilly as a compliment.
Evansville = Kintucky's kissin' cousin!

Gizzards ARE chewy, but you're SO WRONG in the no taste comment. They have wonderful flavor!

Hillbilly - takes one, to know one!
Old 01-03-2010, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love gizzards.... must be a Hoosier thing.

The ambiance sucks, the people there are rednecks, but damn I love me some Mann's Grill. This place is a **** hole if I've ever seen one, but the portions are huge and they serve everything that screams mamma's cookin'. Turkey Manhattans are awesome. I love their omlettes. They have to use 5 eggs and a pound of bacon.

And Grey's Cafeteria. Now, I absolutely hate cafeterias, but this place has a line all the way out the door, and sometimes, halfway wrapped outside. Every.Damn.Night. Best food ever.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
But locals usually go to Duff's or order takeout from LaNova.
ooh.... LaNova... sounds so good....
Old 01-03-2010, 02:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998 View Post
ooh.... LaNova... sounds so good....
I remember when I saw Lindsey in Indianapolis in 2008 my friend and I went to a plce I think it was celled the Red Eye in downtown. Excellent food. U familiar with that place?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I love gizzards.... must be a Hoosier thing.

The ambiance sucks, the people there are rednecks, but damn I love me some Mann's Grill. This place is a **** hole if I've ever seen one, but the portions are huge and they serve everything that screams mamma's cookin'. Turkey Manhattans are awesome. I love their omlettes. They have to use 5 eggs and a pound of bacon.

And Grey's Cafeteria. Now, I absolutely hate cafeterias, but this place has a line all the way out the door, and sometimes, halfway wrapped outside. Every.Damn.Night. Best food ever.
Gizzards must be a Hoosier thing! I love em!

Is Grey's the one in Mooresville? I think so, anyway. They opened one down here, 5-6 years ago. It only lasted about 2 years, though. I remember hearing that their rent was astronomical.
I never ate there....I'm not much on "home cooking". While I like it, my food dollars almost always go to Mexican, Chinese, or steakhouses(love me some Texas Roadhouse).
Old 01-03-2010, 01:11 PM
HomerMcvie
This message has been deleted by HomerMcvie.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
But if you want some awesome Cuban food and a fantastic atmosphere, go to Cha Cha Cha. Their fried plantains are magic. But expect a RIDICULOUS wait at either location (even on any given weekday-- I was there tonight and the wait was an hour and a half for a table for two when we walked in at 8) so reservations are a must. So delicious.
I wouldn't call Cha Cha Cha a Cuban restaurant, but more Caribbean style food. Their Sangria puts Spain to shame. Their Jamaican Jerk Chicken rules my world.

Also, the Haight Street location (original location) does not take reservations at all. Get drunk and wait. It's all about the experience, rather than the food at Cha Cha Cha's in the Haight-Ashbury district.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
I remember when I saw Lindsey in Indianapolis in 2008 my friend and I went to a plce I think it was celled the Red Eye in downtown. Excellent food. U familiar with that place?
Can't say that I am, David. I'll have to check that out. I'm a total foodie when I have the money to be.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Gizzards must be a Hoosier thing! I love em!

Is Grey's the one in Mooresville? I think so, anyway. They opened one down here, 5-6 years ago. It only lasted about 2 years, though. I remember hearing that their rent was astronomical.
I never ate there....I'm not much on "home cooking". While I like it, my food dollars almost always go to Mexican, Chinese, or steakhouses(love me some Texas Roadhouse).
Yeah, the one in Mooresville. They make tons of money! I don't know how they couldn't afford the rent. It's family owned, and I know a niece of the owners. They make good money there for what they do.

I'm a whore for Mexican and steak. Sara kinda burnt me out on Chinese, but I still love it from time to time.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Also, the Haight Street location (original location) does not take reservations at all. Get drunk and wait. It's all about the experience, rather than the food at Cha Cha Cha's in the Haight-Ashbury district.
Have you been on that stretch of Haight anytime in the last 6-8 months? It used to be just incredibly f'ing annoying- its now legitimately unnerving. A new crowd has moved in and taken over the sidewalks, literally pushing people (including tourists) around.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
If anyone is ever in Pittsburgh, you need to check out an Eat N Park. Don't worry, you won't have to drive more than five minutes to run into one wherever you are. It's basically a Denny's, but with much better food, and, of course, the famous smiley cookie.
Eat n' Park smiley cookies FTW! One time I moved away from PA and had no access to smiley cookies and it was just SAD. And WRONG. Fortunately, I moved back and can now eat them with abandon again.

I also enjoy a good Frownie from King's (more for the Frownie's attitude than its taste, true, but nonetheless) as well as their cheesy hashbrown casserole. Drool.

If you are ever in Oil City, PA (I can't think of a reason why you WOULD be there, but if it happens somehow), then you need to go to this hole in the wall place called Tobey's. Do not order their pizza, as I think it is made of cardboard, but do absolutely order their hot ham and cheese sub, because THAT, my friends, is made of sunshine, rainbows and a f*ck ton of mayo. Their wedgies are also delicious.

If you ever find yourself in Youngstown, OH, get yourself immediately to Antone's. It has a drive-thru, but do not let this deter you. This place has some of the best marinara sauce I have EVER had in my life. And not only do they make a lovely eggplant or chicken parm, they make a FRIED CHEESE parm - as in, they will put delicious, gooey mozzarella cheese in where the eggplant or chicken should be, and you will die from love and hardened arteries. Deep in the middle of the night, Antone's, I think about you. Indeed, I know what it smells like.

Good idea for a thread - food is love, especially good food in unexpected places.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 01-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
)

In San Francisco, EVERYWHERE is good. But if you want some awesome Cuban food and a fantastic atmosphere, go to Cha Cha Cha. Their fried plantains are magic. But expect a RIDICULOUS wait at either location (even on any given weekday-- I was there tonight and the wait was an hour and a half for a table for two when we walked in at 8) so reservations are a must. So delicious.
Wait, D, is this where we went? If so, additional plug, they serve minors alcohol...though not knowingly.
You're so like me
Old 01-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, the one in Mooresville. They make tons of money! I don't know how they couldn't afford the rent. It's family owned, and I know a niece of the owners. They make good money there for what they do.

I'm a whore for Mexican and steak. Sara kinda burnt me out on Chinese, but I still love it from time to time.
I'm talking about the one they started in Bloomington. Supposedly, one of their sons started the one down here. It was in an old Furrow's(like Lowes, but they went bankrupt) building. Huge. I think I remember hearing that the rent was 25K month, and they just couldn't keep up.

I could eat Mexican and Chinese, for every meal, for the rest of my life!