The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Friends became Ally McBeal in is absurd ****tiness half way through its run. There shouldn't have been any spin off IMO.

I used to be Snow White but I drifted - Mae West.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved Friends and still watch it on dvd all the time. However, I thought that the last couple of seasons were not that good and some of the characters became unbearable (I hated Phoebe towards the end, she was totally b*tchy).
Joey was never my favorite character, but at least he remained lovable throughout the series (even though I hated the writers for making him seem almost like a retard sometimes). I don't know if his character was a good choice for a spin-off or not, but I didn't hate Joey. It had some funny moments, perhaps a bit forced sometimes, but still I preferred it to other sitcoms.

@catinthedark: Regarding West Wing-Along with Law and Order, it was my favorite drama show ever but unfortunately I haven't watched all the seasons. However, I still remember the last episode from season 2, called "The Two Cathedrals". Perhaps the best thing on tv ever
Old 03-16-2006, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
Gone with the wind??

Yep, Villavic, that's from Gone With the Wind. The last line of the movie.

"Don't f*&k with anyone's dog and don't ever date a musician."
Old 03-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by elie
@catinthedark: Regarding West Wing-Along with Law and Order, it was my favorite drama show ever but unfortunately I haven't watched all the seasons. However, I still remember the last episode from season 2, called "The Two Cathedrals". Perhaps the best thing on tv ever

i can understand that. west wing got, well, disappointing for a couple of seasons. the writing was flat, the storylines lacked great drama. i stuck with it just because i love it so much - and the reward has been this season. it almost feels at times like aaron sorkin is back writing. it's been really good - and i'm looking forward to (even as i'm dreading) the final few episodes. i love the characters so much - cj, josh, donna, leo (rip ) - and i have seen every single episode, some a few times. i can recite lines. it's just been one of the most brilliant tv series.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elie
I loved Friends and still watch it on dvd all the time. However, I thought that the last couple of seasons were not that good and some of the characters became unbearable (I hated Phoebe towards the end, she was totally b*tchy).
Joey was never my favorite character, but at least he remained lovable throughout the series (
I agree, though I think the last season got better than the 2 before, but never as good as the first 5. I think the writers were tired, it's very hard to mantain a good level during several years. It happened with most of long shows.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone catch Family Guy last week? Death (the grim reaper) come to get Quagmire "on my way to picking up the show 'Joey'" LOL!
Old 03-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I am totally in the minority. I thought Friends got better as the years went on. The first couple seasons of Friends I don't care for nearly as much as the rest of the series.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 03-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake
I guess I am totally in the minority. I thought Friends got better as the years went on. The first couple seasons of Friends I don't care for nearly as much as the rest of the series.
Amazing that there is so much dislike for a show that was perennially one of the top 3 watched shows on TV.

I thought it was great from the first episode to the last. I guess as to the reason that "Joey" isn't going over all that well is that there was just SO much expectation going in. In today's market, there's not the "let's see how the show grows" mentality...it has to hit right away from the first episode or its yanked.

My fear from the beginning was that the Joey Tribbiani character really didn't seem to me to be that strong to carry a whole series...the strength of Joey was his interaction with Chandler, and to a lesser extent Phoebe & Rachel. Friends was a 6 LEAD character show...all equals. With Joey being the main focus, there isn't the "ensemble cast" feel. The supporting characters aren't as well written or acted.

Now...West Wing. Sure, the show kind of dipped a bit in ratings, but I blame that on NBC's sabbotaging of it by moving it to Sundays. AND, that too many episodes were focused on Josh Lyman...even before the Santos campaign. I always liked his character when he was more a supporting character instead of a lead character...as a lead character he got annoying. (as did Toby) The show never really bounced back from Sam Seaborn leaving.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: ... in the shadow of this strange, strong love of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Now...West Wing. Sure, the show kind of dipped a bit in ratings, but I blame that on NBC's sabbotaging of it by moving it to Sundays. AND, that too many episodes were focused on Josh Lyman...even before the Santos campaign. I always liked his character when he was more a supporting character instead of a lead character...as a lead character he got annoying. (as did Toby) The show never really bounced back from Sam Seaborn leaving.
you've heard sam is coming back for the last few episodes, eh? funny, sam was never my favourite, but i did love his interaction with josh and cj. me, i love and adore josh. always have. and there was something about toby, too. i miss toby. i cried the day bartlet had to fire him. there have been so many amazing moments... two cathedrals, of course. the episode where cj's bodyguard was killed, the night zoe was kidnapped, and when leo told josh the story about the man who fell down the hole. i will miss it.

"We're rock stars. We are not nice."
Stevie Nicks, the sage mother goddess fierce gypsy bitch we adore.