The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2003, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldn't classify that as another "version" of the song. I think we keep forgetting that those demos were not supposed to be heard. It's not another version officially...it's a work in progress. It's a demo. We shouldn't judge one against the other.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not one of my favourite songs, but it's not one that I hate alot.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I dont know why I came across this interpretation of the song but I read something on another site that was interesting about this song. Like many of Stevie's songs, they are about multiple experiences rolled into one song.

We all know Welcome to the Room Sara is about her stint at Betty Ford. She checked in under the alias Sara Anderson ....blah blah blah

She takes a swipe at her management team who forced her to go blah blah blah

Now here is the interesting part that I read. Stevie's best friend Sara we all know married Mick the year after this song was written and released. So the time it was written they must have been serious in their relationship. They got married in 1988 so they were probably engaged about the time the song was written.

Welcome to the Room, Sara - could mean the actual room of drug rehab OR it could also mean, Welcome to the madness Sara now you are part of us. Her best friend is now engaged to Mick.

The lines..."I thought you were mine" Could mean a Lindsey reference. Lindsey was still be written about even in later songs like Blue Denim, etc. Or could it mean Mick dumped Stevie for Sara?

The phone line "when you hang up that phone." Has been attributed to a Joe Walsh quote.

So its interesting this song has hidden meanings about everything. Gone With The Wind references with the Tara plantation and Scarlett the main character. So is she taking the strong willed Scarlett or the romantic part which makes it more relationship orientated than we thought.

I dont care for the song but its an interesting window into what was happening in late 1986/early 1987. Instead of creating a new thread, I found this old thread, not in Rumours but Stevie forum.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-07-2022 at 08:00 AM..
Old 02-07-2022, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Can I just say how much I love the resurrection of old threads? It's fun to see the old names of members and remember a different time (and tone) of The Ledge!
Oh and, WTTRS is definitely a weird song, doesn't fit the feel of the Tango album, but doesn't grate like When I See You Again (and can be a little bit of an earworm.) Seven Wonders is really the only song that sounds like it belongs on Tango in my opinion.
Ricoh
Old 02-07-2022, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I dont know why I came across this interpretation of the song but I read something on another site that was interesting about this song. Like many of Stevie's songs, they are about multiple experiences rolled into one song.

We all know Welcome to the Room Sara is about her stint at Betty Ford. She checked in under the alias Sara Anderson ....blah blah blah

She takes a swipe at her management team who forced her to go blah blah blah

Now here is the interesting part that I read. Stevie's best friend Sara we all know married Mick the year after this song was written and released. So the time it was written they must have been serious in their relationship. They got married in 1988 so they were probably engaged about the time the song was written.

Welcome to the Room, Sara - could mean the actual room of drug rehab OR it could also mean, Welcome to the madness Sara now you are part of us. Her best friend is now engaged to Mick.

The lines..."I thought you were mine" Could mean a Lindsey reference. Lindsey was still be written about even in later songs like Blue Denim, etc. Or could it mean Mick dumped Stevie for Sara?

The phone line "when you hang up that phone." Has been attributed to a Joe Walsh quote.

So its interesting this song has hidden meanings about everything. Gone With The Wind references with the Tara plantation and Scarlett the main character. So is she taking the strong willed Scarlett or the romantic part which makes it more relationship orientated than we thought.

I dont care for the song but its an interesting window into what was happening in late 1986/early 1987. Instead of creating a new thread, I found this old thread, not in Rumours but Stevie forum.
I thought I read an interview (and forgive me if it was mentioned here already) that she checked into Betty Ford under the name Sara Anderson. "Welcome to the room" apparently was the greeting they say when you come to group therapy there. Hence "Welcome to the room Sara".
Old 02-07-2022, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleshadow View Post
I thought I read an interview (and forgive me if it was mentioned here already) that she checked into Betty Ford under the name Sara Anderson. "Welcome to the room" apparently was the greeting they say when you come to group therapy there. Hence "Welcome to the room Sara".
That is the literal interpretation and probably the correct one. I believe she also said that if she had a girl she would have named her Sara. So she took the first name of her aborted baby Sara with the last name of her former husband Anderson.

I never got into the song. Its more spoken poetry than a song to sing. "This is a dream, right! DeJa'Vu"

I think Escape from Berlin is her better rehab song. In any event, its an interesting song to analyze and interpret. When Tango came out, I was a dummy because I never got any of the meaning thus liked the song even less.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It is one of her 2 Tango duds . The plunge from Mirage to Tango was breath taking.

Old 02-07-2022, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
It is one of her 2 Tango duds . The plunge from Mirage to Tango was breath taking.
True. 5 years
IMHO the more extreme plunge was Bella Donna to Rock A Little
Good God. One of the best albums from 1981 to one of the worst albums of the entire 80s
Old 02-07-2022, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I just want to say...
... I absolutely bloody love this song.
So deal with it, world!!!

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-07-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Well I just want to say...
... I absolutely bloody love this song.
So deal with it, world!!!
The first cut is the deepest...
Old 02-07-2022, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Welcome To The Room is the only song to me that fits with the album's cover.

It's my favorite song from Tango

Frontline Baby!
Old 02-07-2022, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True. 5 years
Good God. One of the best albums from 1981 to one of the worst albums of the entire 80s
It was all part of the same precipitous downward trajectory..vocals ,songwriting ,performance. Drugs and grandiosity are not a great combo.

Old 02-08-2022, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True. 5 years
Bella Donna is a f*cking MASTERPIECE. A classic. Yet $he's the poster child for what NOT to do with a career. And somehow, the idiot survived it all. $he should be in the Guinness book of records!
Old 02-08-2022, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Welcome To The Room is the only song to me that fits with the album's cover.

It's my favorite song from Tango

Frontline Baby!
That's interesting. You say that for the mystery of the song?
I am in the tiny minority (maybe I stand alone) that dislikes the Tango cover. Like the song, it's meh. Looking back it was a miracle Lindsey was able to corral everyone to finish it. I sense no one wanted to take time to discuss an album cover and Lindsey selected something. Of all the Mac album covers, its one of my least favorites. I suppose I dislike both the song and cover equally as you like them. Maybe we are on to something. Flame me all you want but BTM is one of their best covers ever It described the band perfectly which is not the case with Tango. Of all Mac covers, Tango is the least creative. But I understand the issues at hand
Frontline Baby!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-08-2022 at 08:10 AM..
Old 02-08-2022, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's interesting. You say that for the mystery of the song?
I am in the tiny minority (maybe I stand alone) that really dislikes the Tango cover. Looking back it was a miracle Lindsey was able to corral everyone to finish it. I sense no one wanted to take time to discuss an album cover and Lindsey selected something. Of all the Mac album covers, its one of my least favorites. I suppose I dislike both the song and cover equally as you like them. Maybe we are on to something.
Frontline Baby!
Mystery is a good point, but I feel like the opening of the song and Mick's sounds are like an accompaniment to walking through that rainforest on the cover; almost like being in the Avatar movie.

And the demo sounds nothing like a rainforest. If I had to give the demo some connection to wildlife, maybe it would be a processional for a slow parade of elephants.

I guess Mystified and Family Man are of that enchanting sound but WTTR, to me, has the best blend of sounds.

Family Man is like Lindsey playing a gig at Studio 54. Mystified is basically a sleep aid.