Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-01-2024, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Besides the drugs I think her ego got in the way of a more dominating music career. She's not alone so I am not picking on her exclusively. But few could not have big egos if you joined a band and rocketed to a band almost as big as the Rolling Stones for a time in the states. Then having exceeded everyone's expectations for a solo album. Everything Nicks was touching was turning to gold. Drugs definitely got in the way but so did ego and that ego allows artists to get lazy thinking they can just "phone it in."
Imagine if Bella Donna flopped and she needed Fleetwood Mac and stayed near them more in the 80s. Or imagine The Wild Heart flopping and she had a sophomore jinx with her solo career. Would it have grounded her so that she did not lose control. She was on top of the world in 1982. Platinum albums, radio hits, rock credentials, concerts, and she was a sex symbol. A coke addiction is a horrible thing. But I bet it was just as much ego that made her ditch recording studios or come 6 hours late for a mediocre performance.
Old 06-01-2024, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Besides the drugs I think her ego got in the way of a more dominating music career. She's not alone so I am not picking on her exclusively. But few could not have big egos if you joined a band and rocketed to a band almost as big as the Rolling Stones for a time in the states. Then having exceeded everyone's expectations for a solo album. Everything Nicks was touching was turning to gold. Drugs definitely got in the way but so did ego and that ego allows artists to get lazy thinking they can just "phone it in."
Imagine if Bella Donna flopped and she needed Fleetwood Mac and stayed near them more in the 80s. Or imagine The Wild Heart flopping and she had a sophomore jinx with her solo career. Would it have grounded her so that she did not lose control. She was on top of the world in 1982. Platinum albums, radio hits, rock credentials, concerts, and she was a sex symbol. A coke addiction is a horrible thing. But I bet it was just as much ego that made her ditch recording studios or come 6 hours late for a mediocre performance.

I agree 100%.
I was fanatic fan since 1977 and followed them all as close as I could (considering no social media it was a bit of work)

STEVIE:
Drugs
Ego because of the success of her first two albums
Couldn’t sustain both solo and the band with touring/writing
Not working with Lindsey as she did from 1975-1979
This all caused the chips to fall as they did……..

Positive- a lot more solo releases from all the band members.

Negative- only 5 studio albums from my favorite lineup of the band

Bonus- in 1977 I got familiar with all the lineups of the band from 1967-1974 and loved and bought all the back catalogue .(as I was waiting for the release of Tusk)
Old 06-02-2024, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I agree 100%.
I was fanatic fan since 1977 and followed them all as close as I could (considering no social media it was a bit of work)

STEVIE:
Drugs
Ego because of the success of her first two albums
Couldn’t sustain both solo and the band with touring/writing
Not working with Lindsey as she did from 1975-1979
This all caused the chips to fall as they did……..

Positive- a lot more solo releases from all the band members.

Negative- only 5 studio albums from my favorite lineup of the band

Bonus- in 1977 I got familiar with all the lineups of the band from 1967-1974 and loved and bought all the back catalogue .(as I was waiting for the release of Tusk)
Her 1981 was insane. She recorded her first solo album. Then was jetting to France for brief Mac recordings for Mirage. She joined Petty for west coast and Florida dates on his summer tour. SDMHA was released and became so big that Petty added it to his set while she was with him. When she gets off the road with the Heartbreakers, Bella Donna hits the top and her management quickly starts booking solo dates in December. She does a brief solo tour and then jets back to France to finish Mirage. Mirage is released with 2 huge MTV videos and she does a summer/fall tour with the Mac and immediately goes into the studio for the Wild Heart. She gets married in January 1983 and then the Wild Heart is issued. She gets a huge lead off single and Wild Heart goes to #5 on the heals of Flashdance and Thriller. She tours again that summer with her boyfriend.

Thats a wild and very fast paced very early 80s schedule. It also fueled her coke addiction and she started to create and live in her own fantasy world and take it all for granted. She did not need to prove anything to anyone anymore and put everything on autopilot. She starts RAL in 1984 with sporadic recordings all over the place without focus. She is no longer in control of her own destiny. The drugs have her completely occupied and her career is a side gig. The producer who hid her in his basement away from Tom Petty and was nervous taking her on as an artist thinking he was no Lindsey Buckingham walked away. She was a mess and lost all interest in her career.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-02-2024 at 08:49 AM..
Old 06-02-2024, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
But few could not have big egos if you joined a band and rocketed to a band almost as big as the Rolling Stones for a time in the states. Then having exceeded everyone's expectations for a solo album. Everything Nicks was touching was turning to gold. Drugs definitely got in the way but so did ego and that ego allows artists to get lazy thinking they can just "phone it in."
I agree. But now imagine if Law and Order had been a mega hit and started to turn to gold everything he touched. Probably Lindsey would have had a big ego too. But I guess the difference would have been that drugs would not get in his way. And if he had continued to release successful albums, Tango probably wouldn't have existed, or it would be very different. Poor Mick.
Old 06-02-2024, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I agree. But now imagine if Law and Order had been a mega hit and started to turn to gold everything he touched. Probably Lindsey would have had a big ego too. But I guess the difference would have been that drugs would not get in his way. And if he had continued to release successful albums, Tango probably wouldn't have existed, or it would be very different. Poor Mick.
Lindsey HAD to be focused. Because he's THE CREATOR. Not like ditzy Old Goatsy, who jots down a few words, and hands them to a creator who turns her words into something.
Stevie never had to be focused. The smaller the talent, the less the required focus.
Old 06-02-2024, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Lindsey was still in his anger phase for Law and Order. Imagine if he had a "Tango" sense of mind and instead of rebelling and still making quirky Tusk like songs that Law and Order had several successful singles. No doubt Lindsey lost his mind of how successful Bella Donna was and she did it without him. When she left a copy of the album at Lindsey's door, she had to know she was egging him on.