Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I didn't like this song for a long time. Now, I appreciate it like you do. It has quite the history! I loved her version on the 1984 tour. She covered it really well. Also, it's one of the songs that I don't want to hear Stevie on.
It's pure BuckVie.
1984 was the last Dont Stop on a grand piano. Once 1987 rolled along it was all electronic sounding piano. My memory is the grand piano came out of the stage only for HAEWFY.
Old 06-14-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
1984 was the last Dont Stop on a grand piano. Once 1987 rolled along it was all electronic sounding piano. My memory is the grand piano came out of the stage only for HAEWFY.
I believe that's correct. I remember HAEWAFY and Songbird... I think...
Old 06-14-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I meant “traditional radio”
I can barely stand terrestrial radio. Once in a while but it's usually so many commercials. I don't bother.
Old 06-15-2023, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don’t Stop—it’s one of the first FM songs I remember (along with Rhiannon and SYLM). I have always LOVED the studio version with all of what Mick calls “the cream on the top.” The interplay of voices, the rousing shuffle, the synth playing key notes toward the end…

But it’s never been among my favorite live. I really dug Christine’s piano on it, especially that jazzy addition from the Tusk, Mirage and 1984 tours. But overall, it just never matched the magic of the studio version. By contrast, I love the raucous live performances of Hold Me from the Mirage tour…

Last edited by aleuzzi; 06-15-2023 at 07:45 PM..
Old 06-15-2023, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
By contrast, I love the raucous live performances of Hold Me from the Mirage tour…
I LOVED the raw Hold Me. I'd give anything if it had always been a staple.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I LOVED the raw Hold Me. I'd give anything if it had always been a staple.

I agree it had so much energy….I’m glad it was done on the BuckMcVie tour.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:41 PM

Yes, I really love the way her 1984 band did Hold Me. It was better than Mirage.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, I really love the way her 1984 band did Hold Me. It was better than Mirage.

Yes and her 1984 band was awesome.I’m glad I got to see one show live.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Yes and her 1984 band was awesome.I’m glad I got to see one show live.
Which one did you see? She never realized it, but she was a great band leader. She knew how to arrange better than she ever realized, too.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Which one did you see? She never realized it, but she was a great band leader. She knew how to arrange better than she ever realized, too.

kings Dominion in Virginia in the summer of 1984. Great show! I agree she was a great band leader.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
kings Dominion in Virginia in the summer of 1984. Great show! I agree she was a great band leader.
Agreed. And those audio files posted on YouTube are proof she was doing really tight, professional shows. I wish she had had the confidence to do more projects on her own. On the other hand, what I love most about her are her humility, modesty, and eagerness to be a team player within the band. She was always focused on doing whatever was needed to serve a song (as opposed to serving herself or her image).
Old 06-15-2023, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m glad I have a couple of her solo live shows on CD for my MAC collection.

Last edited by BLY; 06-15-2023 at 08:45 PM..
Old 06-16-2023, 12:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don’t think it was lack of confidence. I think she didn’t see the point in doing something outside of Fleetwood Mac when she was the main hit writer in the band. She wasn’t Stevie, with albums worth of unused songs, and she wasn’t Lindsey, with about a million different ways of killing a cow. So long as Mick and John were there with her, she was in her element.

Even on her 1984 album, John helped in the demo work for “Love Will Show Us How” and offered the inspiration for “The Challenge,” while Mick and Lindsey actually played on the album. Hell, she even brought back John Courage to be her manager. Fleetwood Mac was where her heart was.

Given all her hit singles, she hypothetically could have launched a comeback tour outside of Fleetwood Mac in 2013 with the core of her 1984 band plus whoever else. Wasn’t even joked about.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-16-2023, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don’t think it was lack of confidence. I think she didn’t see the point in doing something outside of Fleetwood Mac when she was the main hit writer in the band. She wasn’t Stevie, with albums worth of unused songs, and she wasn’t Lindsey, with about a million different ways of killing a cow. So long as Mick and John were there with her, she was in her element.

Even on her 1984 album, John helped in the demo work for “Love Will Show Us How” and offered the inspiration for “The Challenge,” while Mick and Lindsey actually played on the album. Hell, she even brought back John Courage to be her manager. Fleetwood Mac was where her heart was.

Given all her hit singles, she hypothetically could have launched a comeback tour outside of Fleetwood Mac in 2013 with the core of her 1984 band plus whoever else. Wasn’t even joked about.
She herself used the words “lack of confidence”—or near equivalents—in a few interviews over the years. Unless this was false modesty, I accept it. I remember at the time of The Dance she said she lacked the necessary charisma to go it alone on the road but that she felt she could do a studio album. She obviously could gave done both!
Old 06-16-2023, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
She herself used the words “lack of confidence”—or near equivalents—in a few interviews over the years. Unless this was false modesty, I accept it. I remember at the time of The Dance she said she lacked the necessary charisma to go it alone on the road but that she felt she could do a studio album. She obviously could gave done both!
What you and Steve both said. It's weird, having so many hits, and yet only a relatively small number of people show up for your concerts. There's certainly no accounting for taste, YET she knew where her place was. Part of the band. Not everyone wants or needs to be out there spinning around like a drunken sailor. Some people are content at their station in life. She found her station, as was content with that.

That should be a lesson for the world.