User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-06-2023, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yep. she just needed to simply say yet to this, and didn't have to move even a little finger.

yet she said no.
She probably wasn’t happy with how it was produced. Remember how she had Twisted reworked for 24k Gold!? She sucked the life out of that one.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
That is some flex man….you really believe that the same person whose arm has to be twisted to dust off popular album tracks was the primary cheerleader for pre-75 material in 2018? That’s some strong kool aid.
She just had her most successful tour with the vault and deep cut songs. It makes complete sense that she’d want to take that into Fleetwood Mac. In some way, “Without You” on EP is really where that all began.

Quote:
Since she’s such a blues advocate you’d think she would have done a blues album by now.
FWIW, she did sing on a B.B. King album.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-06-2023, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
It is amazing that by their last show of the tour they only did Black Magic Woman and Oh Well. I guess the audiences weren't feeling the pre 75 songs?

The only pre 75 song Stevie was on stage for the majority of the tour was BMW. Hypnotized got played 5 times? Seems like she wanted pre-75 stuff played so she could chill backstage
She sang on “Hypnotized.”

I think that material had been out of rotation for so long that it didn’t resonate as much with crowds beyond the diehards. I also suspect Christine decided to axe TMATTYD and “All Over Again.”

That said, Louisville was pretty close to my dream setlist.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-06-2023, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i can easily envision this supposed Stevie - Mick convo about playing more pre-Rumours stuff:
Stevie was was between legs on what was her most successful tour, which included vault songs and deep cuts, Mick had been promoting his 1967-74 book, and Fleetwood Mac had a 50th Anniversary compilation coming out. It makes complete sense that they’d have that particular conversation.

As I said elsewhere, Stevie began getting on YouTube to hear her leaked demos/vault songs and decided it was time to revisit older and forgotten material, starting with “Without You” on EP.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-06-2023, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
That is some flex man….you really believe that the same person whose arm has to be twisted to dust off popular album tracks was the primary cheerleader for pre-75 material in 2018? That’s some strong kool aid.
yep.

see my post quoted below. that's what is meant by "Stevie wanted pre-1975 material."

Quote:
i can easily envision this supposed Stevie - Mick convo about playing more pre-Rumours stuff:
  • Mick and Stevie both vacation in Italy, their paths cross
  • Mick mentions to Stevie how nice it would be to include some new Buckvie stuff in their next live tour
  • Stevie doesn't want to even hear any of that
  • then Mick tells Stevie there was FM music before she joined and tries to talk her into playing some of those deep cuts instead
  • her response - no deep cuts, nobody wants to hear that, but wasn't there something really really popular? she adds Lindsey will not want any non-Rumors era music (she always likes to put words in Lindsey's mouth)
  • Mick probably said, we'll see.

PR interpretation: it was Stevie's idea to play pre-Rumours era music live, but Lindsey wouldn't let them.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 01-06-2023 at 08:35 PM..
Old 01-06-2023, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
She sang on “Hypnotized.”
I acknowledged she did. But it lasted about five shows. So for 70 something shows, the only pre-75 song Stevie was on stage for was BMW.

Quote:
I think that material had been out of rotation for so long that it didn’t resonate as much with crowds beyond the diehards. I also suspect Christine decided to axe TMATTYD and “All Over Again.”
John axed Tell Me. Mike did an interview for Wreckless Abandon with David Fricke where he said John said "I hate that f***ing song." All Over Again left once Stevie got pneumonia.

I think that the material is not as popular as the 75-97 stuff, which is why the dropped that stuff and kept only the hits "BMW" and "Oh Well". For myself, I'm a fan of the 75-13 stuff. I'm sure there were others like me at the shows.

But I'm happy the setlist was perfect for fans of the band like you are.

I'm a fan of Stevie's FM songs so I was let down because Stevie did nothing surprising from her FM songs: Crystal, Angel, Affairs of the Heart, Fireflies, Welcome To the Room...Sara, Straight Back, Sweet Girl, Freedom, or Running Through the Garden.

She did what she's done the last 10 years: Dreams, Gypsy, Gold Dust Woman, Rhiannon, Landslide, and Storms (this song's inclusion was the most disappointing because Angel should have been a given, following FM Tour precedent since 2003)
Old 01-06-2023, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm a fan of Stevie's FM songs so I was let down because Stevie did nothing surprising from her FM songs: Crystal, Angel, Affairs of the Heart, Fireflies, Welcome To the Room...Sara, Straight Back, Sweet Girl, Freedom, or Running Through the Garden.
Hard pass on RTTG. I was at the Columbus show where they played it and it didn’t work so well in concert.

“Freedom” was the no-brainer with Mike Campbell in the band. “Straight Back” would have been another great choice.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-06-2023, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hard pass on RTTG. I was at the Columbus show where they played it and it didn’t work so well in concert.

“Freedom” was the no-brainer with Mike Campbell in the band. “Straight Back” would have been another great choice.
If it were a 50 Year Tour, there should have been a song each from Behind the Mask, 25 Years:The Chain, and Say You Will. So for me that would've been Freedom, Paper Doll, and if not RTTG, Illume.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me, Freedom, Love Shines, and Thrown Down.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just compared the two versions of "Sleeping Around The Corner" (Lindsey solo and Buckingham McVie). It's the identical recording, with Christine just added to the choruses of Lindsey's solo version.

Given that precedent, they could have selected a couple of Stevie's solo songs – particularly (but not necessarily) bonus tracks, of which there are many on the expanded 24 Karat Gold (don't know about her other albums, but feel free to chime in with examples of good songs she released as bonus tracks anyway anyhow anywhere).

Then they could have taken these selections, added to the tracks some FM members while subtracting some non-FM players, and–voila–new FM material – with Stevie not even needed for anything but permission.

The above comparison, however, left me wondering about two things:

1. As it was originally released as an iTunes bonus track for the album Seeds We Sow (on which neither Mick nor John plays), is the FM rhythm section even on the Buckingham McVie version of "Sleeping Around The Corner"? They may play on the entire album except this song – and perhaps except the two recorded in 2016 (see below).

2. Buckingham McVie was recorded in two sessions: 8 songs in 2014 and 2 songs in 2016. Did Mick and John play on both sessions or just on the first one?

Last edited by cbBen; 01-07-2023 at 03:03 PM..
Old 01-07-2023, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
The above comparison, however, left me wondering about two things:

1. As it was originally released as an iTunes bonus track for the album Seeds We Sow (on which neither Mick nor John plays), is the FM rhythm section even on the Buckingham McVie version of "Sleeping Round The Corner"? They may play on the entire album except this song – and perhaps except the two recorded in 2016 (see below).

2. Buckingham McVie was recorded in two sessions: 8 songs in 2014 and 2 songs in 2016. Did Mick and John play on both sessions or just on the first one?
the only 2 songs Mick and John were not on are Sleeping Around the Corner and Love Is Here To Stay.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-07-2023, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Stevie was was between legs on what was her most successful tour, which included vault songs and deep cuts, Mick had been promoting his 1967-74 book, and Fleetwood Mac had a 50th Anniversary compilation coming out. It makes complete sense that they’d have that particular conversation.

As I said elsewhere, Stevie began getting on YouTube to hear her leaked demos/vault songs and decided it was time to revisit older and forgotten material, starting with “Without You” on EP.
Her 24K Gold tour was insanely successful. She extended it 3 times which fit perfectly as a reason to stay away from Fleetwood Mac/Buck/Vie. She was selling out arenas and was grossing on some nights over 1 million which was almost on par to On With The Show numbers.
The 24k Gold album was not even commercially successful. But she packed the arenas like never before. I think the success of the tour gave her reassurance of her power when dealing with Fleetwood Mac.
Old 01-07-2023, 04:16 PM

Heart of Stone, Straight Back would make my life!
Old 01-07-2023, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The 24k Gold album was not even commercially successful.
That was the genius part of that album. It’s premise of being an album of leaked demos and unused songs she rediscovered on YouTube meant it didn’t need to be a commercial success. If it was, great! If not, oh well, it was a low effort project meant for the die-hards, anyway.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-07-2023, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I'm a fan of Stevie's FM songs so I was let down because Stevie did nothing surprising from her FM songs: Crystal, Angel, Affairs of the Heart, Fireflies...
Stevie singing Fireflies in 2018 would have been a travesty wrapped in a fiasco.