Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
I'll just get my coat before I blow and get banned.
It seems you have very strong feelings on the subject. I'm terribly curious to hear what you have to say. Surely there's a way you can share your thoughts without it being confrontational?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
It seems you have very strong feelings on the subject. I'm terribly curious to hear what you have to say. Surely there's a way you can share your thoughts without it being confrontational?
I think strong feelings are apt for this subject, considering that it's a "movement" that promotes eating disorders and self abuse in the name of aesthetic vanity. Please don't censor yourself, Georgie. People censoring themselves is how issues remain unresolved and ignorance is bred from that.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
I think strong feelings are apt for this subject, considering that it's a "movement" that promotes eating disorders and self abuse in the name of aesthetic vanity. Please don't censor yourself, Georgie. People censoring themselves is how issues remain unresolved and ignorance is bred from that.
Ugh I don't even know how to start this in a reasonable manner. Like some of the others who've posted about the subject, I've also been through an eating disorder and even though now I've "turned around completely" and I love food I still have days where it's hard and I do still skip meals, I just make up for them otherwise. It never goes away.

Dave, I'm happy you lost weight and are comfortable in your own body, that really is a brilliant achievement and is something to be proud of, I just think there's much more sensitive ways of approaching the subject than "I'm skinny so now I get the hot babes. I didn't before" and therefore implying subconsciously that if you're overweight (or not even that, just not Barbie/Ken skinny) you don't get the "hotties". It seems like you've gone from one extreme to the other and that's frightening. I don't remember where you said it but I remember you saying how you sometimes don't eat and that it hurts but you take that as a good sign because you're fighting it. I've been there, done that and it nearly killed me.

I feel like I'm beginning to get confrontational now, see. I don't want to be making an example of you but it's becoming inevitable as I type, the Riot Grrrl in me is still a bit of an oncoming storm.

On the subject of thinspiration, Bee, you're completely right. They are no different. It's just foul that one human can dictate to another how to achievewhat they consider perfection. No one should be anyone's thinspiration.

My ex-girlfriend also went through it. She also nearly killed herself and she looks in the mirror every day and thinks she's fat. She's almost 6' and I think she weighs about 7 stone. Do the maths.

Seeing discussions about it that are supportive towards one another are brilliant because we can help eachother and provide a shoulder to lean on but making jokes and enforcing the belief that skinny=perfect, IMO is NOT ok and never ever will be. I wish some people would just think a bit more before they type.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 06-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Ugh I don't even know how to start this in a reasonable manner. Like some of the others who've posted about the subject, I've also been through an eating disorder and even though now I've "turned around completely" and I love food I still have days where it's hard and I do still skip meals, I just make up for them otherwise. It never goes away.

Dave, I'm happy you lost weight and are comfortable in your own body, that really is a brilliant achievement and is something to be proud of, I just think there's much more sensitive ways of approaching the subject than "I'm skinny so now I get the hot babes. I didn't before" and therefore implying subconsciously that if you're overweight (or not even that, just not Barbie/Ken skinny) you don't get the "hotties". It seems like you've gone from one extreme to the other and that's frightening. I don't remember where you said it but I remember you saying how you sometimes don't eat and that it hurts but you take that as a good sign because you're fighting it. I've been there, done that and it nearly killed me.

I feel like I'm beginning to get confrontational now, see. I don't want to be making an example of you but it's becoming inevitable as I type, the Riot Grrrl in me is still a bit of an oncoming storm.

On the subject of thinspiration, Bee, you're completely right. They are no different. It's just foul that one human can dictate to another how to achievewhat they consider perfection. No one should be anyone's thinspiration.

My ex-girlfriend also went through it. She also nearly killed herself and she looks in the mirror every day and thinks she's fat. She's almost 6' and I think she weighs about 7 stone. Do the maths.

Seeing discussions about it that are supportive towards one another are brilliant because we can help eachother and provide a shoulder to lean on but making jokes and enforcing the belief that skinny=perfect, IMO is NOT ok and never ever will be. I wish some people would just think a bit more before they type.
I think, in a perfect world, people wouldn't hold store to how one looks aesthetically. Unfortunately, considering the people I see around me on a daily basis, there aren't many of us who believe that. People who believed that it was the outside that counted made my life hell for many years, leading me down the road of self harm, suicidal tendencies, depression and eating disorders throughout my teenage years. They're still demons I still carry with me, because the fact that they've been coping mechanisms for so many years trained me into believing that nothing else helps. I withhold meals daily, self harm when I'm in an especially dark place that my music and art can't soothe and I constantly battle against depression. I know some of this is my own fault, because I've always been hyper sensitive. But alot of it isn't. It's the fault of people who ever told me I was too fat to be anybody's friend (manbeast was my nickname at school...). It's the people who ever told me I wasn't good enough, who chose to heighten their confidence by comparing myself negatively to them. It's my father who told me to my face that he didn't love me. And yes, this probably is a whiny ass post. But these whiny feelings were conjured by people making me feel so god-damn low that I have now zero self worth. But it's the people who don't judge on appearances and other flaws, the ones who only want to make people feel better about themselves and fulfil their potential, that make me feel proud that i didn't give in to my urges years ago and remove myself from the equation.

For the first time in my life I'm in a place where I can say, without any doubt, that I'm glad I survived.

Last edited by Silver Springs; 06-13-2011 at 05:36 PM..
Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm late for a date, and don't really have time to respond....I will say, that I'm always AMAZED at how UBER sensitive people are. I'm tough as nails, and words just simply don't bother me.

Folks, they're just words. Listen to your ditzy queen, "words don't matter, they don't matter at all".

Now y'all have a great night. I'm in love, and I certainly intend to!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

... People who've

Oh my god I'm not even going there, you really are as thick as pig ****, aren't you.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Post omitted incase Georgie decides to retract
Georgie, don't. You're better than that. *hugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm late for a date, and don't really have time to respond....I will say, that I'm always AMAZED at how UBER sensitive people are. I'm tough as nails, and words just simply don't bother me.

Folks, they're just words. Listen to your ditzy queen, "words don't matter, they don't matter at all".

It's funny how your replies always seem to suggest that you expect everybody to be like you. As though we're all the same. Words are designed to hurt by their nature. Words are a translation of true feeling.

Last edited by Silver Springs; 06-13-2011 at 07:00 PM..
Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Words aren't the only thing that can cause/contribute to an eating disorder. I went through it, I didn't even think I was fat, nobody told me I was or thought I was fat, but as a dancer in a widely known group I felt like I needed to have the *perfect* body and years later I'm still feeling the effects of it. It never totally goes away, and hearing people talk about it like it's nothing and calling others 'sensitive' is utter sh*t.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
... People who've

Oh my god I'm not even going there, you really are as thick as pig ****, aren't you.
Wow. Really?

I'd rather be thick as pig sh*t, than all uber sensitive, and reading all sorts of negativity into things that were NEVER intended that way. You've got me all wrong. But I think the pack has decided that I meant some sort of negative connotation. You are all wrong. The truth is all that matters.

And.life.goes.on.

Thick as pig sh*t's gotta run now....have a good night.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a reply to that but I'll refrain from posting it incase I insult you like you've insulted so many people this evening, and continue spreading my negativity.

Have a nice date pops.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry is this Chit Chat or a thinspiration blog? I thought I'd payed to get rid of that redirecting virus.
+10

Quote:
Thinspiration.

I like that term!

You give meaning to my life, you are my thinspiration.....
wow. just wow.

Quote:

it's funny how they're "just words" when they're coming out of your hole, but when other people say things about you that you don't like, it's another story. of course, i'm pretty sure i'm on your ignore list, so maybe all of this is for naught, but whatev. you have some of the most confused, creepy, reprehensible views towards body image, sex, and relationships that i have ever encountered. the mere fact that you can't go one week without talking about your "23 year old" or your miraculous weight loss speaks volumes. we've all read your stories! we all know that you used to be a nottie! we've all seen your comma diarrhea! you don't, need, to, mention it, every, single, day.

it's great that you're happy when you used to be a sad, pathetic introvert (not my characterization of you, but yours!), but one thing about you will never change, and that is your singular interest in yourself. when your life sucked, your woes were all you talked about. now that it's "good," all you talk about is your fluctuating weight, the "love of your life" (who has already told you to back the f*ck off) and your coke-fueled pool orgies. when you interact with other people on this board, it is only so you can bring it back to yourself. if someone mentions losing weight, you're right there with the SAME, OLD, STORY! if someone talks about being in a relationship, you're there with the SAME, OLD, STORY! while i like having something to set my watch to, your dog and pony show is past its prime. it's ridiculous enough that you beat the same drum, but i really wouldn't have bothered posting in your general direction if you hadn't completely blown off people who pointed out, as respectfully as they could, that your self-aggrandizing posts may be having a deleterious effect on the younger members of the group. i avoid interacting with you at length because despite your bloviating, you really are a sensitive flower of a man (for years you refused to post a picture on the big, bad interwebs) who couldn't stand up straight if someone shoved a metal rod up your rear. but after seeing you blow off grace, georgie, and others, i see no reason to spare you my ~opinion.~

the people who have challenged you on your weight rhetoric are people whose lives have been deeply affected by food issues -- they have revealed very intimate truths about themselves in order to appeal to your better judgment, should you have any. as someone who is an expert at the 25-and-under set, you ought to have more awareness about how harmful your attitudes can be. do you realize that you talk like an addict? if anyone came on here and talked about how heroin or cutting or pills made their lives so much better, they would immediately be counseled and probably censured. it only underscores how pervasive body image issues are in western society that you are not universally looked upon with pity and/or scorn around here.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Best response in this whole conversation Carrie, thank you. I'm glad somebody understands the viewpoint and that our responses are not just "being overly sensitive" to the issue(s).
Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow. Really?

I'd rather be thick as pig sh*t, than all uber sensitive, and reading all sorts of negativity into things that were NEVER intended that way. You've got me all wrong. But I think the pack has decided that I meant some sort of negative connotation. You are all wrong. The truth is all that matters.

And.life.goes.on.

Thick as pig sh*t's gotta run now....have a good night.
wow. you really are like one of those ex-smokers who immediately starts proselytizing to the people he used to light up with about the dangers of smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefDumbandBlond View Post
Best response in this whole conversation Carrie, thank you. I'm glad somebody understands the viewpoint and that our responses are not just "being overly sensitive" to the issue(s).
thanks. i do have to say that dave's right about one thing -- he never intended for his words to be hurtful because he never talks about anyone but himself. for what it's worth.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

hmmm. ever notice the social butterfly suddenly has 'plans' when his chit hits the fan
Old 06-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Eep, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I feel like I have to say something, since weight is something I think we either have issues with or know someone else who has, and something we can all relate to.

I do not buy that only skinny people can be attractive. At all. I have two friends who have always struggled with their weight, and now they've accepted that they're always going to be on the heavier side in life; they are two of the most attractive people I know. Confidence is pretty much the sexiest thing, and if you're confident with your body; you're going to appear attractive to someone. Conversely, I've known many many healthy, skinny people who have been utterly convinced that they're fat, and become utterly obsessed with their weight, and because of this, they have made themselves unhealthy, or they become so insecure it becomes the biggest turn off imaginable. I think if people accepted their weight, everyone would be much happier. There's too much pressure on kids to be skinny. Sure, lose/gain weight if it's a medical necessity, or if you personally feel like it, but let's not try and say that only one way can be the right way; I believe that whatever makes you happy and healthy works just fine. It's why I, personally, don't really care what my BMI is, and I don't even know how much I weigh exactly, I'm quite content to carry on as I am, and to hell with anyone who'd tell me different.

And, for what it's worth, I think that words DO matter, more than people know. Verbal bullying is often far, far, FAR worse than physical bullying, for the sheer mental damage it can do to someone, even if they're able to laugh it off on the outside, they can be hurting on the inside. For every gay kid who's been able to shrug off the name-calling, there have been those who have been deeply wounded by it. For every person struggling with their weight who can laugh off a fat joke or not take it personally, there are those whom it will hurt and offend. And so on.

...I actually have no idea what I'm trying to say here, and I'm fairly sure I've just babbled a load of bollocks, but I felt like I had to say something.