User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
MrBTH, firstly I want to say hello. You may have posted here before but I missed it so I'd like to issue a welcome on my part.

Now as far as your feelings re: some of the comments on this thread. Keep in mind this is a public forum and every person here has an opinion they are entitled to express. I have to say that, personally, I've never read many disparaging remarks directed at Kristen from fans on this page. If anything, people are kind of neutral here compared to other boards and even other musicians' significant others. I would be in the neutral camp. I respect her obvious hard work and talent but I am not in love with the results. However there are pieces of her work, and certain room set-ups, that I think are really great. Her showroom is also very nicely put together.

I'm more of a minimalist than Kristen. Where I prefer to hang maybe 3 or 4 really great pieces of art in one of my rooms, she's into 40. Not saying it's bad or wrong, but it isn't me. I can't pretend or give false praise when I'm not feeling it.

I also have NO ill feelings toward Kristen whatsoever. I think she's very lovely and I attribute her coming into Lindsey's life and having that beautiful family as an artistic rebirth for the man. I have no "spiteful" feelings towards Kristen, nor do I even go there in terms of how she got where she is now...not really a concern of mine. Lindsey loves her and that's all that matters. Not every LB fan feels vindictive towards KB. Some of us have fantastically fulfilled lives with S.O's of our own whom we adore to death. LB is merely a musical love of mine, nothing more. (I know you really didn't address your original post at any individuals but I'd like to just throw that out there because, for some reason, whenever the "wife of" or "girlfriend of" someone whom female fans show love for is brought up there always seems to be the idea that there's some jealousy there...not always the case).

Thanks!
Really? Dat the truth now?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBTH View Post

No seriously, sorry I probably came across as a grumpy so and so in my posts. I was in bed with the flu for the past week and clearly had too much time on my hands! This isn't the only online forum I've been getting on my high horse on either - very embarassing!
I hope you're feeling better! Don't be embarrassed. I'm sure everyone here has said something at some point that they wish they hadn't said. The important thing is that everyone has the chance to air their opinions here, good or bad.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post
Really? Dat the truth now?
Honest. I mean, he's hot and I will say it. But I don't have any kind of fantasies about him other than maybe becoming his Rachel Zoe. I would GQ that man up.

Even though I may not dream of LB "like that" I dig all the stuff you gals are on about on this board. He would probably not be aghast and definitely approve of all the attention he is getting- rightfully.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New Kristen interview/pic

Source: http://yummymummyasia.com/city-guides/los-angeles.html

Noted interior designer and tastemaker extraordinaire Kristen Buckingham gives us the inside scoop on getting the most out of a family holiday in LA.

Describe LA in 3 words.
Whatever. You. Want. Meaning you are never be far from a complete change of scenery – be it the beach, desert or the Mediterranean-like hillside.

Best hotel in LA when travelling with kids?
I love the Four Seasons. It’s not the hippest, the newest or the trendiest, but it is the most consistently comfortable and detail-oriented. They have cookies and milk for the kids upon arrival, child-size robes and a great kid’s menu. I love that there are always kid-friendly activities planned and usually something for them to do at the spa while you are getting a treatment.

Your favourite place to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner? Why?
Breakfast: The Fountain Coffee Room at the Beverly Hills Hotel. It’s our favorite place for waffles – the kids love it. It’s a beautiful space in one of the most famous places in LA (that fabulous Banana Leaf wallpaper). There aren’t many kid-friendly restaurants as chic as this one!

Lunch: Brentwood Country Mart. Built in the late 40′s, the red barn style market has a collection food vendors that will keep everyone happy. We love the classic burger at Barney’s Burgers but Reddi Chicken gets our vote for best fries. After lunch, take a stroll through some of the great shops like Diesel Bookstore, James Perse and my favorite place for sunglasses – Benjamin Optique.

Dinner: If you find yourself with a evening free of children, plan a date night at Dan Tana’s. It’s an old school Hollywood destination on Santa Monica Blvd. Steaks, cocktails and cannoli for dessert!

What is your favourite thing to do with your kids in LA?
Will Rogers Park is great for kids. You can watch a Polo match on Saturday afternoons or Sunday morning (if you’re lucky, you might be able to catch a kid’s match). There is a large lawn for picnics and trails for hiking with views of the ocean.

It’s L.A. so why not take in a movie at one of the many historic theaters? Grauman’s Chinese Theater is the most famous. Yes, touristy…but beautiful. Also try El Capitan where they show Disney films and have an organist who entertains before the show (then disappears into the floor as the show starts!). Then there is the ArcLight Cinerama Dome has an enormous screen and assigned seating.

Kid friendly museum?
The Norton Simon is the go-to museum for my family. They have story telling on Sunday afternoon and an impressive permanent collection. Not far from the Norton Simon is the Huntington Library, housed in a beautiful villa with spectacular gardens that go on forever. Don’t miss the desert area with crazy cacti and succulents – it’s like being on an alien landscape. You could always bring a toy store water color sets for an impromptu art lesson in the Shakespeare garden, too.

Best places to eat with kids?
You can’t drive too far in Los Angeles without happening upon a fun fifties’ style dinner. Whether its Mel’s on Sunset, any number of In ‘n Out Burgers or one of the many Googie style coffee shops, which are always a crowd pleaser for families.

Best outdoor activity?
Los Angeles is all outdoor activity…most restaurants have outdoor seating. The gardens at both the Getty Museum and the Getty Villa in Malibu are the best parts of each. Ideally you want to wrangle an invite to lounge by a friend’s private pool, but any number of westside beaches make a fabulous plan B.

Favourite spa?
The spa at the Peninsula Hotel.

I get my hair done at…
Byron & Tracey Salon in Beverly Hills.

The three shops I can’t live without are…
Barney’s in Beverly Hills, The Cheese Store of Beverly Hills (just up the street from Barney’s), and JCrew – just go online and avoid the LA traffic!

Who I have on my LA speed dial and why…
Patton’s Pharmacy – a pharmacist that delivers!
Divino – Great Italian take-out.
Harry’s Wine - Comes in handy for a mid-party refill à la Holly Golightly.

Best place for ice cream / cupcakes / burgers?
Ice Cream: Everyone used to rave about Pinkberry, but Yogurtland wins my family’s vote.
Cupcakes: Susie Cakes
Burgers: Father’s Office in Culver City

Your favourite souvenirs
What kid doesn’t want a lifeguard sweatshirt from the Santa Monica Pier???

An unforgettable moment?
Watching the sunset from our garden while my kids play in the yard on just about any day of the year.

Can’t live without…
Sunglasses and my iPhone (in that order).

Don’t miss…
Internationally acclaimed conductor Gustavo Dudamel at Disney Concert Hall.

Favourite time of year in LA, why and what do you love to do?
I love the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day when everyone else is gone and you can actually drive on the freeways and get into the restaurant of your choice without a reservation.

What advice would you give families visiting LA?
Get the best rental car you can – you’re going to be spending some quality time in it. (And make sure you have a navigation system in the car too!) And don’t be too ambitious – Los Angeles can be very relaxing and beautiful if you don’t overextend yourself by trying to ping-pong back and forth across the city.

Of all the tourist spots LA has on offer which would you try not to miss?
Griffith Observatory - a breath taking view of the city from an iconic building.

Tell us one thing about LA we don’t know.
In a hurry? Sunset Blvd is for people watching. And Fountain Ave is what gets you across town fast.

*Kristen Buckingham
Kristen Buckingham is a noted Los Angeles-based interior designer and tastemaker. Kristen has worked on a range of residential projects and in the spring of 2010, she opened her showroom and office space in Los Angeles’ La Cienega Design Quarter and launched her eponymous collection of custom furnishings, case-goods, upholstery, outdoor furnishings, mirrors and lighting fixtures. She lives in Brentwood, Los Angeles with her husband, Lindsey Buckingham and their three young children, Will, Leelee and Stella.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. The LA Tourism Dept. needs to send her over a nice basket or something!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, that was a great Q & A and she actually did make me want to check out some of those places she mentioned, so it really served its purpose.

Thanks for posting this.

Michele
Old 03-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Ledgie

She seems sweet and down to earth.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by njova View Post
She seems sweet and down to earth.

read= spoiled and high maintenance
Old 03-25-2011, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Kristen in the March issue of Angeleno magazine

You can find her part on page 114 here

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You can find her part on page 114 here
Oh, thanks for that. I wouldn't necessarily agree with her that there's nothing overworked in her designs. It is overworked, but that's ok. Ornate can be fun and expressive as well. It's not stodgy formal, but it's not as informal as she would suggest either.

Michele
Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I find it odd how someone who weights 3 pounds is going to tell me where to get good burgers and cupcakes. Seriously, next time I'm in LA, I am going to try some of those food places. Can't forget to go to Gladstone's in Santa Monica either.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD View Post
I find it odd how someone who weights 3 pounds is going to tell me where to get good burgers and cupcakes. Seriously, next time I'm in LA, I am going to try some of those food places. Can't forget to go to Gladstone's in Santa Monica either.
Perhaps they asked her because both burgers and cupcakes are fairly hip and quintessestially American at the same time. I visit LA from time to time and have been to Divino's ( duh, totally LB stalking-lite) and that Susie's Cupcakes...I'm pretty thin and try to be healthy 99% of the time but a cupcake on occasion doesn't hurt.

This being said- and some of you will disagree with me I'm sure- the more I read from/about Kristen the less I care for her. There's a level of privilege and arrogance in some of her responses, some of her pics that just doesn't appeal to me. It certainly doesn't relate to her being Lindsey's wife, because that aspect of her life is none of my business. I'm thrilled he's happy and his beautiful family inspires him.

I just can't really relate to KB. She talks so much about scaling things back and not overworking, etc. But everything, especially some of the things she references, are so quite the opposite. There's just a lot less real about her than I prefer I guess. Kind of like Gwyneth Paltrow and her Goop. I love nice things and have no problem spending money in moderation, but I simply can't relate to people who feel it's a necessity to turn their house into a walking museum of every overpriced "hot" item imaginable, and then think others should follow suit. Can't and won't.

But she certainly doesn't care what I think. As I've said, I like some of her pieces...

Last edited by Nico; 03-27-2011 at 02:10 PM..
Old 03-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Perhaps they asked her because both burgers and cupcakes are fairly hip and quintessestially American at the same time. I visit LA from time to time and have been to Divino's ( duh, totally LB stalking-lite) and that Susie's Cupcakes...I'm pretty thin and try to be healthy 99% of the time but a cupcake on occasion doesn't hurt.

This being said- and some of you will disagree with me I'm sure- the more I read from/about Kristen the less I care for her. There's a level of privilege and arrogance in some of her responses, some of her pics that just doesn't appeal to me. It certainly doesn't relate to her being Lindsey's wife, because that aspect of her life is none of my business. I'm thrilled he's happy and his beautiful family inspires him.

I just can't really relate to KB. She talks so much about scaling things back and not overworking, etc. But everything, especially some of the things she references are so quite the opposite. There's just a lot less real about her than I prefer I guess. Kind of like Gwyneth Paltrow and her Goop. I love nice things and have no problem spending money in moderation, but I simply can't relate to people who feel it's a necessity to turn their house into a waking museum of every overpriced item imaginable, and then think others should follow suit. Can't and won't.

Ah, but what of what we read of Kristen is the REAL Kristen? Think of her this way. I'm sure most of you have what I call the "phone voice", where you sound almost completely unrecognisable to yourself in normal setting. Perchance what we read of her is just her "interview" voice, or what have you. When pushed to speak openly about yourself and work, you do tend to say things you wouldn't normally say when not under that kind of pressure. I learn this myself each and every time I have to present my own work, being in the same "wider genre" as her as an artist. You have to come across as arrogant and in love with your work in order for others to take notice of it and take you seriously for your craft. I'm one of the least confident people I know, and along while ago when I had to present and I was bordering on self deprication, my grades and overall reception suffered greatly for it. Because nobody "got" me. But the more you tell people how brilliant your work is, the more they start to believe it and take you seriously. It's not the best thing to do, and saying things to make your interviewers happy does make me feel quite dirty, but at the end of the day in this kind of field it's a necessity. As, I'm sure, the music industry is quite the same. Buddha knows Lindsey can talk about how much he loves his own work...
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post

Ah, but what of what we read of Kristen is the REAL Kristen? Think of her this way. I'm sure most of you have what I call the "phone voice", where you sound almost completely unrecognisable to yourself in normal setting. Perchance what we read of her is just her "interview" voice, or what have you. When pushed to speak openly about yourself and work, you do tend to say things you wouldn't normally say when not under that kind of pressure. I learn this myself each and every time I have to present my own work, being in the same "wider genre" as her as an artist. You have to come across as arrogant and in love with your work in order for others to take notice of it and take you seriously for your craft. I'm one of the least confident people I know, and along while ago when I had to present and I was bordering on self deprication, my grades and overall reception suffered greatly for it. Because nobody "got" me. But the more you tell people how brilliant your work is, the more they start to believe it and take you seriously. It's not the best thing to do, and saying things to make your interviewers happy does make me feel quite dirty, but at the end of the day in this kind of field it's a necessity. As, I'm sure, the music industry is quite the same. Buddha knows Lindsey can talk about how much he loves his own work...
There is truth to what you say, and maybe I am being unfair in my judgment based on these interviews. I just feel that some of her suggestions aren't realistic for a lot of people, economically, and she has a certain audience in mind. I guess I was hoping for her to broaden her intended audience a little. Not because the things she recommended don't appeal to me but because, as a professional, it would make her look a lot less, um, well...I can't think of the word.

You are right that we change face/voice constantly. I do every single day when dealing with my clients. At the same time, there's a certain likability that those in the public eye- of which KB is to some level- should try to maintain. Maybe I'm just not feeling hers, but those who have met her (I've been within feet but never spoken to her) would know better how she deals with the public.

What is most important, as an LB fan, is that she makes him happy. So I should just stop my b1tchin' and step aside.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
There is truth to what you say, and maybe I am being unfair in my judgment based on these interviews. I just feel that some of her suggestions aren't realistic for a lot of people, economically, and she has a certain audience in mind. I guess I was hoping for her to broaden her intended audience a little. Not because the things she recommended don't appeal to me but because, as a professional, it would make her look a lot less, um, well...I can't think of the word.

You are right that we change face/voice constantly. I do every single day when dealing with my clients. At the same time, there's a certain likability that those in the public eye- of which KB is to some level- should try to maintain. Maybe I'm just not feeling hers, but those who have met her (I've been within feet but never spoken to her) would know better how she deals with the public.

What is most important, as an LB fan, is that she makes him happy. So I should just stop my b1tchin' and step aside.
I understand what you mean. There is a certain level of elitism in her audience demographic. But at the end of the day, she's trying to make money. And as anti-capitalist as I am, I understand that she's going for the audience with the biggest sales guarentee when it comes to her own work. Suggestions for others I guess could be skewed by the fact that she is effectively "rolling in it". When you've gotten used to it, I suppose you would lose a little touch with how much the "little people" can realistically afford. But, at least she's not rubbing it in people's noses or anything. She doesn't give off an err of "I'm better than you and my lifestyle proves it" in her interviews. At least I've never gotten that impression. She means well, she just needs to climb a few rungs down the ladder and have a look around once in a while.

Haha! B1tch away, m'dear! But I know what you mean lol. As long as Lindsey's happy then who are we to judge? It could have been worse and we could reading CAH interviews about how she spends his money now. I think we can pretty much agree he wouldn't be as happy now if that were the case..