The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Want only live tracks FM members on displaying when choosing live drop down?
Yes, only live tracks FM members appear on should display when choosing live recordings drop down. 10 83.33%
No, all live tracks should display when choosing live recordings drop down, even FM unrelated. 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2006, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question For Penguin Discog: Want only live tracks FM members on when choosing live drop down?

Marty originally envisaged having a “Live albums” sorting group for the discography but there are too many albums (& singles) that have “some” live tracks so we went with “Live recordings” as a sorting group.

However, he thought that something like “Sounds Of The Seventies: 1976”:

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=613

…should have the live tag attached to it because it has “a” live track on it (Peter Frampton’s “Show me the way”).

Now I thought we should put this to a vote because when you go to the FM group discog & choose the “Live recordings” drop down, you get this album mixed in with other albums that should be there (like “25 Years: The Chain”, “Live (1980)” etc.).

Because this album has a FM track on it (SYLM) this is why it must come up in the FM group discog.

I personally would find an album like this “in the way” if I did a FM live recordings search but I didn’t want to dictate the situation. Naturally if the majority here feels the way Marty does about this topic then we’ll leave it as is but the vote will be the decider.

As usual, because the database is either “is or isn’t” this should be a straightforward vote. We’re against having a new “live recordings by unrelated artists” category because information about unrelated artist’s live recordings is probably best obtained for those artists websites (in our opinion). I know saying this sounds like we’ve decided before the vote begins but we just mean in terms of trying to keep from adding too many new categories too far away from the focus of the discography if we can. We just thought a yes or no approach would be easiest, unless again, many here feel with good reason it should be dealt with in other ways & we’ll discuss if that does turn out to be the case but aside from that we’d prefer to just get the votes in this thread.

Thanks for your ops once again in advance.

John
Old 04-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
However, he thought that something like “Sounds Of The Seventies: 1976”:

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=613

…should have the live tag attached to it because it has “a” live track on it (Peter Frampton’s “Show me the way”).
No way. This is a Fleetwood Mac database, not a Peter Frampton database. Anybody searching the "live recordings" section will be doing so because they're looking for live Fleetwood Mac tracks.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
No way. This is a Fleetwood Mac database, not a Peter Frampton database. Anybody searching the "live recordings" section will be doing so because they're looking for live Fleetwood Mac tracks.
I personally agree, but let's see the votes!

John
Old 04-25-2006, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

One of the problems we have is with something like the "Best Buy Tour '97" promo CD:

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=628

We needed to attach the live tag to it because of it's inclusion of the 4/9/70 BBC FM "Rattlesnake shake" but then it has things like a solo CM song.

So with this being the case for this disc, if you went to Christine's solo discog & chose the "live" drop down, this CD would display even though the live track has nothing to do with her, but we need to have the live tag attached to the disc since it has a live FM track.

Any ideas on how to handle this?

John
Old 04-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One of the problems we have is with something like the "Best Buy Tour '97" promo CD:

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=628

We needed to attach the live tag to it because of it's inclusion of the 4/9/70 BBC FM "Rattlesnake shake" but then it has things like a solo CM song.
you also need to put the "live" tag on Gypsy.
Quote:
So with this being the case for this disc, if you went to Christine's solo discog & chose the "live" drop down, this CD would display even though the live track has nothing to do with her, but we need to have the live tag attached to the disc since it has a live FM track.

Any ideas on how to handle this?
Why does the Christine solo discog need to have the live drop-down? Just cross reference the live drop-down with Rattlesnake Shake & Gypsy.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
you also need to put the "live" tag on Gypsy..
Oh yeah, OK so I guess that's covered anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Why does the Christine solo discog need to have the live drop-down? Just cross reference the live drop-down with Rattlesnake Shake & Gypsy.
The database is set up to have the tags sort by package, not by song. The package shows up in her discog because of her solo (& FM of course) track(s) & since "Live recordings" is a tag attached to that package it shows up on that search, even though for a different reason.

I don't know if Marty can change that or not. If you guys think it should be that way instead, say so here & I'll point out the interest in that regard & run it by him.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 04-25-2006 at 11:28 AM..
Old 05-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Results

This poll is now closed. Only live tracks FM members appear on will display when choosing live recordings drop down (though I'll work out what I can with Marty on the BBT97 issue etc.). Thanks for your participation in this poll.

John
Old 05-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

OK, I'm going through & resorting now based on this answer & here's an angle I wanted to ask you guys about:

Just remembered that Aerosmith's version of "Rattlesnake Shake" on their "Pandora's Box" release is a live version.

So, would you guys want the live tag attached to it (so it'd show up with all the other live stuff (since RS is the related track on this release, though no FM member plays on it)?

Just not sure where you think we should draw the line on this (just do this to live recordings the FM members appear on? ...or those as well as live covers like this?)?

Let me know your thoughts & I'll sort accordingly, thanks in advance.

John
Old 05-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OK, I'm going through & resorting now based on this answer & here's an angle I wanted to ask you guys about:

Just remembered that Aerosmith's version of "Rattlesnake Shake" on their "Pandora's Box" release is a live version.

So, would you guys want the live tag attached to it (so it'd show up with all the other live stuff (since RS is the related track on this release, though no FM member plays on it)?

Just not sure where you think we should draw the line on this (just do this to live recordings the FM members appear on? ...or those as well as live covers like this?)?

Let me know your thoughts & I'll sort accordingly, thanks in advance.

John

I'd say just give the "live" tag to live Fleetwood Mac & solo tracks. A cover's just a cover, whether it's live or not.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I'd say just give the "live" tag to live Fleetwood Mac & solo tracks. A cover's just a cover, whether it's live or not.

OK, thanks for your thoughts. We'll leave this topic open until 5/15 & if many other disagree then we'll all discuss. If not then we'll press on with this as the rule of thumb (I guess we'd include the tag for any tracks that FM members appeared on as a member of another band too (like say, if Chicken Shack's "I'd rather go blind" was in a movie, don't think it is but...) unless the masses disagree here on this as well).

John