Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Posion Ivy/Oak/Sumac cures

I am one of the oh so lucky people that is highly allergic to the damn plants! Well Its been years since I last caught it... well this weekend I did fianlly!
Do anyone have any remedies that cure them. I am up to try anything! LOL
Thanks
jacob
Old 04-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That sucks. Which one did you get on yourself?

Best advice. Don't touch the area at all. Don't even think about it. You'll spread it faster than you can say herpes.

But a simple Google search provided this nifty link:
http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_pois.htm
Old 04-16-2006, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know that my friend, who is a pharmacist, swears by this stuff called Zanfel. Here is the web site for the stuff.

http://www.zanfel.com/

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 04-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77
I know that my friend, who is a pharmacist, swears by this stuff called Zanfel. Here is the web site for the stuff.

http://www.zanfel.com/

Yup. Zanfel rocks. I used it last year when I got poison sumac from playing tennis! I went to rummage around in the foliage for some stray balls, and bam! Sumac! Anyway, Zanfel takes care of the itch and draws all that puss stuff out of the rash making it heal faster.

Oh and Richard, you can't spread poison sumac, ivy, or oak from one place on your body to the other. My doctor said that's an old wives tale. The only place you'll break out is the localized area where the plant toxin touched your skin
Old 04-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
Oh and Richard, you can't spread poison sumac, ivy, or oak from one place on your body to the other. My doctor said that's an old wives tale. The only place you'll break out is the localized area where the plant toxin touched your skin
That's weird, my Doctor said something different. But you know doctors, they often have contrasting opinions which is why it's wise to always get a second opinion on serious medical ailments.

For instance, my friend is highly allergic to Poison Oak, which during the blooming season of the plant is even much more highly potent. He could get it on a wide trail (without contact with the actual plant) simply from the dust of dirt kicked up, especially if the Oak bush is alongside the trail. His dog got in it sometimes and after a few petting sessions, had it all over his hands and arms.

My Dad got it once on his hands and arms, then it spread to his penis (gotta hold it when you pee) and it spread there too.

It's all very interesting.

Last edited by Richard B; 04-19-2006 at 10:48 AM..
Old 04-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
My Dad got it once on his hands and arms, then it spread to his penis (gotta hold it when you pee) and it spread there too.

That sucks. I dunno, I'm just reporting what my Dr. said, and I tend to believe her too because my rash never spread and I scratched it in the beginning not knowing what it was .

I hate all the "poison" plants, I am so allergic to them! I had poison sumac so bad last year I thought it was going to scar my legs, but thankfully it healed up with no scars.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Man...

that has to suck, having to deal with the itching BS.

Only thing I ever knew to try is to use "calamine lotion"...Deb said either use clear "Calamine lotion" (Unless you want to walk around with "pink" skin splotches from the normally pink colored "calamine"), An "oatmeal bath" (exactly what it is, A bathtub filled with oatmeal) or "Aveeno" lotion (Sorta like the oatmeal bath except in a lotion form.)

Brian "Anyone know how to treat a stroke?" j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
Only thing I ever knew to try is to use "calamine lotion"...Deb said either use clear "Calamine lotion" (Unless you want to walk around with "pink" skin splotches from the normally pink colored "calamine"), An "oatmeal bath" (exactly what it is, A bathtub filled with oatmeal) or "Aveeno" lotion (Sorta like the oatmeal bath except in a lotion form.)

Those Aveeno oatmeal baths are a godsend for poison oak/ivy/sumac. They are also good for really bad sunburns which I've had the unpleasure to experience. Aveeno is just good stuff! I've never tried the lotion, but I've heard good things.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Ya know what is good...

Quote:
Those Aveeno oatmeal baths are a godsend for poison oak/ivy/sumac. They are also good for really bad sunburns which I've had the unpleasure to experience.
for a bad sunburn? A teabag! Dip a teabag in cold water and apply it to the burn and trust me, it will remove the burn!!!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
for a bad sunburn? A teabag! Dip a teabag in cold water and apply it to the burn and trust me, it will remove the burn!!!

I've heard that but I've never tried it. Wow. I guess I'll need one of those industrial size bags though, I'm not gonna put little tea bags all over my body--too cumbersome! .

Thanks for the tip Bri.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
For instance, my friend is highly allergic to Poison Oak, which during the blooming season of the plant is even much more highly potent. He could get it on a wide trail (without contact with the actual plant) simply from the dust of dirt kicked up, especially if the Oak bush is alongside the trail. It's all very interesting.
If you are highly allergic, one dr told me it can get in your bloodstream and crop up all over your body; this happened to me several times (unfortunately). I had to dose up on super powered steroids to get rid of it, it was horrific.

-Lis
Old 04-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True, unless you haven't carefully washed the area that made contact with the plant resin. If you touch that "dirty" part of your body to any other, you can spread the resin and cause the rash to form in a new area. But yeah, if you clean the original spot well, then the rash can't spread after that point.

Always a good idea to wash your hands well in the woods (if that's even possible). Had a guy one time in clinic whose chief complaint was "I got poison ivy on my penis," said with this heartbroken tone of voice! He had a patch of rash on his arm, apparently touched that area before he knew it was affected, then later peed without washing his hands beforehand. Poor guy!

Brad
Old 04-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow I always wanted to know what poison ivy did to people - must be horrible