User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I'm not familiar with feline leukemia and had no idea it's contagious.

- Jake
Today's lesson on feline leukemia (I'm sure you're sorry you said anything):

It is a viral disease for which there is no cure. It is transmitted by mainly blood contact with another infected cat. It can be transmitted through saliva, but that is not as common. It is also transmitted from a pregnant mother to her kittens (which is my case). A cat can live with feline leukemia for years before becoming symptomatic, but that is not really very common. The most common cause of death from the leukemia is that the cat has a suppressed immune system (similar to HIV in humans) and will contract a secondary infection which the cat has no ability to fight and therefore dies.

Kittens who are born with FeLV seldom live to adulthood, as I witnessed firsthand. Gypsy is now 3 and because she did survive kittenhood has a fair chance of living a reasonably normal lifespan. But she could become symptomatic at any time. Once that happens, there isn't a damn thing I can do for her other than have her euthanized. It's really a horrific disease, even if you don't like cats. So you see, Jake, she is very special.

"Don't f*&k with anyone's dog and don't ever date a musician."
Old 07-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Oh please, I know just as many female control freaks as male.
By that reasoning I could claim that since men prefer dogs they must have a stronger nurturing instinct, since dogs require more care.

- Jake
Ah, douche! I could make a few more arguments, but i won't.
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 07-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti
Today's lesson on feline leukemia (I'm sure you're sorry you said anything):

It is a viral disease for which there is no cure. It is transmitted by mainly blood contact with another infected cat. It can be transmitted through saliva, but that is not as common. It is also transmitted from a pregnant mother to her kittens (which is my case). A cat can live with feline leukemia for years before becoming symptomatic, but that is not really very common. The most common cause of death from the leukemia is that the cat has a suppressed immune system (similar to HIV in humans) and will contract a secondary infection which the cat has no ability to fight and therefore dies.

Kittens who are born with FeLV seldom live to adulthood, as I witnessed firsthand. Gypsy is now 3 and because she did survive kittenhood has a fair chance of living a reasonably normal lifespan. But she could become symptomatic at any time. Once that happens, there isn't a damn thing I can do for her other than have her euthanized. It's really a horrific disease, even if you don't like cats. So you see, Jake, she is very special.
Up until now I'd only heard about toxoplasmosis from when Martina had it & the cats that were thought to be responsible tested healthy. That's the extent of my cat health knowledge, which you have now doubled.

- Jake
Old 07-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Ah, douche!
That's really not something I'm equipped to do. But on the bright side, I never get that "not-so-fresh feeling" anyway.

- Jake
Old 07-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
That's really not something I'm equipped to do. But on the bright side, I never get that "not-so-fresh feeling" anyway.

- Jake

i'm assuming you knew, in this case, it's pronounced doo-shay...
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 07-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

i'm assuming you knew, in this case, it's pronounced doo-shay...
Amber
Are you intentionally joking or do you mean touche?

- Jake
Old 07-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are you intentionally joking or do you mean touche?

- Jake
I'm intentionally joking, AND I meant touche. Instead I just said, "ah, doochay!"
Amber

Old 07-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm intentionally joking, AND I meant touche. Instead I just said, "ah, doochay!"
Amber
I feel like we're toasting with glasses on Massengill. Cheers.

- Jake