User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Heart One More Night

There are no songs by Chris that I dont like. One More Night is not in my top tier Chris songs. It sort of got lost on the Live album. The demo is meh. But the live version adds so much heart to the song. Almost like songbird, it adds mood to the song to be singing live on a stage. Some nice backing vocals that may not have truly been live and added later. Who knows. A few things make this song special. Chris was a fairly steady singer. But this song she throws her voice into a few lines for effect. It works rather nicely. I am guessing it was about Dennis since it was recorded when she was dating him. Its a fairly somber song. "You MAY come home some morning and find she's not sleeping alone." Clearly Chris again felt neglected in the relationship. "If you want her, better get her now" But I love when she throws in "Dont be a fool"
It works so much better on a quiet live stage compared to the demo. We get to hear that emotion in her voice. It just does not pack a punch in a studio. Over the years, this song has grow on me with leaps and bounds. Its about her emotion throwing her voice that brings it home for me. Maybe I want to be the one holding her tight. Chris does not like sleeping alone

The demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx8UZgg5TtI

The live version on the album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BZizgbhy2g
Old 05-24-2023, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The demo is meh. But the live version adds so much heart to the song.
I wouldn't say meh, cause I enjoy a lot listening demos, early takes, alternate versions, etc. But I do agree the live version is far better, and yes so much emotional.
Old 05-24-2023, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Please, nobody kill me, but I happen to really love that demo. Her voice is killer to my ears. The piano is a little blocky and chunky but the singing is classic Chris.

But, too, I love the song in general — one of my all-time favorites.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-24-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Please, nobody kill me, but I happen to really love that demo. Her voice is killer to my ears. The piano is a little blocky and chunky but the singing is classic Chris.

I've always said, "No matter if you like this song, the vocal is unbelievably good."
Old 05-25-2023, 05:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

It was recorded post Tusk tour for friends and family on 09/03/80 at the Santa Monica Auditorium. They did not play there during the Tusk tour but the Eagles had 3 sold out nights there that year for the Long Run Tour.
If the liner notes are to be believed, Fireflies and Farmers Daughter was recorded the following day which means this was a 2 day event there?
I would love to know the details about these recordings post Tusk tour. It must have been a tremendous and fun event. I cant even imagine the party that was rocking that place for at least 2 days. The Live album was not a huge success and these gems almost get lost. The passion from Chris's live vocal I dont know could have been duplicated in the studio. I assume Dennis was probably there?
Old 05-26-2023, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Holy crap, I’d never heard the demo before. It’s awesome! The piano, her high vocal, all done at a slightly brisker speed than the almost bluesy live one. I actually love this demo.

Edit: and I’m not trying to be contrary here. I really love it.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 05-26-2023 at 09:54 AM..
Old 05-26-2023, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never heard the demo either….I like it but the live version with Buckingham Nicks in the background vocals always does it for me.