Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-04-2022, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I playing my early 70s box set. OMG I never had Heroes on CD. The bass thumping on Angel and the incredible keyboard work. Forgot how psychedelic Coming Home was. I heard things on the remaster that I had not before. The 1974 concert is so psychedelic too. But it was the early 70s and many rock bands had that sound.
These albums are absolutely incredible.

I live near Coral Gables FL and I would love to know about the story Bob tells in the live version of Bermuda Triangle about the guy from Coral Gables. The bass and drums and keyboards are so good together. What an incredible rhythm section.
I am like I am 14 again rediscovering these masterpieces. John is on fire.
Old 12-04-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I playing my early 70s box set. OMG I never had Heroes on CD. The bass thumping on Angel and the incredible keyboard work. Forgot how psychedelic Coming Home was. I heard things on the remaster that I had not before. The 1974 concert is so psychedelic too. But it was the early 70s and many rock bands had that sound.
These albums are absolutely incredible.

I live near Coral Gables FL and I would love to know about the story Bob tells in the live version of Bermuda Triangle about the guy from Coral Gables. The bass and drums and keyboards are so good together. What an incredible rhythm section.
I am like I am 14 again rediscovering these masterpieces. John is on fire.
You have the bootleg of the Heroes rehearsal disk, no?

They have the keyboard solo on that one.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Gone From My Sight

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side,
spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts
for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, "There, she is gone."

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.

And, just at the moment when someone says, "There, she is gone,"
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

And that is dying...

Henry Van Dyke
Old 12-04-2022, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ That is very beautiful and we know that Christine believed this quite matter-if-factly, raised by a mother who was the neighborhood witch and healer and could channel things we cannot see. Chris said that her brother John had even more of their mother’s spiritual talent than she did. She definitely expected to reunite with her loved ones beyond this life.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
This week I've been playing her on the piano--Songbird, Over & Over, SYLM, Don't Stop, Hold Me, the keyboards on Rhiannon, and of course Why.
Good for you, Joe! In fact, I had basically stopped playing my piano about three years ago. I gave it to a friend and that was that. But last week I kept reaching for a piano that wasn’t there because I wanted to toss around all these songs we’re all working through our sadness with. I was getting frustrated, you know? So I went over to Sam Ash on Saturday and bought a little keyboard called the Casio Privia, which has hundreds of lovely patches on it. When it’s delivered, it will be my Christine-centric piano once again and I’ll have great fun with it. I don’t think I would have bothered if Christine hadn’t inspired me last week.

Quote:
Also listening to a pretty little cover of Why that sodascouts and I made back in the day.
Let’s hear it, kids!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-05-2022, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Nice!

I imagine it was a difficult choice between the Casio Privia from Sam Ash and Christine's Songbird grand piano from the Julien's auction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Let’s hear it, kids!
Word is that sodascouts recently sold her catalog for a cool million to an music equity fund, and I no longer own the master tape.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's rather taken me by surprise, but the song I've been playing most since we heard the news about Christine is 'Love Shines'. It's such a gorgeous, upbeat song, Christine doing what she does best - a lovely melody, beautifully sung, with emotional, optimistic lyrics.

I love the rooftop video too. There's something pure about it, even though it came at the very end of her first tenure with the band; I think it's do with the simple band of Christine, Mick, John and Billy, still making wonderful music, but without all that distracting drama and noisy egomania that came with Lindsey and Stevie. Here she's properly centre stage, where she belonged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dreb...3rgpQc&index=1
Old 12-07-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
It's rather taken me by surprise, but the song I've been playing most since we heard the news about Christine is 'Love Shines'. It's such a gorgeous, upbeat song, Christine doing what she does best - a lovely melody, beautifully sung, with emotional, optimistic lyrics.

I love the rooftop video too. There's something pure about it, even though it came at the very end of her first tenure with the band; I think it's do with the simple band of Christine, Mick, John and Billy, still making wonderful music, but without all that distracting drama and noisy egomania that came with Lindsey and Stevie. Here she's properly centre stage, where she belonged.

It's such a gorgeous song! And the opening lyrics:

Never can you be replaced... (That's you Christine)
Old 12-07-2022, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

This is one of my favorite songs, and I can’t remember ever having seen this video before. They all look so happy and like they’re having a great time together. That moment when Chris hugs Mick’s face is so sweet. Also I used to live across the street from the building they were on the roof of, so that was really trippy to watch.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Yesterday, I listened to every Christine song in a row (that had a lead vocal by her or at least shared vocal) from her 1970 Christine Perfect album through In The Meantime and a couple of previously unreased tracks from the new Songbird solo collection. It was a bit of a revelation, since I never really listened to Time or her 1984 solo album or In The Meantime before. Some great songs I've never heard before. Listening to (almost) everything really showed how she was the most consistent songwriter in Fleetwood Mac. It occurred to me how well 'All Over Again' works as a farewell to everyone, even though at the time, she only meant it to mark the end of her tenure in Fleetwood Mac. Such a lovely song.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 12-10-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highwayman View Post
Yesterday, I listened to every Christine song in a row (that had a lead vocal by her or at least shared vocal) from her 1970 Christine Perfect album through In The Meantime and a couple of previously unreased tracks from the new Songbird solo collection. It was a bit of a revelation, since I never really listened to Time or her 1984 solo album or In The Meantime before. Some great songs I've never heard before. Listening to (almost) everything really showed how she was the most consistent songwriter in Fleetwood Mac. It occurred to me how well 'All Over Again' works as a farewell to everyone, even though at the time, she only meant it to mark the end of her tenure in Fleetwood Mac. Such a lovely song.
Wow, that must have been a great journey!
Old 12-10-2022, 06:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

It was. I forgot to say, I listened to her songs on Buckingham McVie as well, so basically 1970 through 2017 is what I listened to.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 12-10-2022, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Thank you for posting the link to the video. I really enjoyed watching her having so much fun with the other band members. The playful affection she showed to Mick and Billy in this video was so sweet and good-natured. It's a better song than I ever realized. I could do without the silly clowns and kids on the street in the video -- a straight performance by the four members of the band on the rooftop would have been better -- but I realize most "official videos" contain pointless stuff like that.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a show on my local community radio station on Saturday afternoons.

On 3 December I bumped my planned show and presented a retrospective of Christine's musical legacy. The tracks I played were:

Chicken Shack - Get Like You Used To Be
Chicken Shack - I Would Rather Go Blind
Christine Perfect - When You Say
Fleetwood Mac - Show Me A Smile
Fleetwood Mac - Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Fleetwood Mac - Did You Ever Love Me
Fleetwood Mac - Why
Fleetwood Mac - Heroes Are Hard To Find
Fleetwood Mac - Over My Head
Fleetwood Mac - Say You Love Me
Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop
Fleetwood Mac - Songbird
Fleetwood Mac - Over & Over
Fleetwood Mac - Brown Eyes
Fleetwood Mac - Only Over You
Christine McVie - Got A Hold On Me
Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere
Fleetwood Mac - Little Lies
Fleetwood Mac - As Long As You Follow
Christine McVie - Roll With Me Henry
Fleetwood Mac - Save Me
Fleetwood Mac - Love Shines
Fleetwood Mac - I Do
Christine McVie - Friend
Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie - Red Sun

Last edited by Neb-Maat-Re; 12-12-2022 at 09:34 PM..
Old 12-12-2022, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still haven't wholly processed her death, still in shock. The well-deserved tributes have helped. At least we know she was loved. By many. Some kids are "reacting" to "Songbird" on YouTube as if the song suddenly materialized out of a 70s porthole--and they're amazed. They should be.

I just miss her. I know her death doesn't change any outward facts: I never knew her or talked to her. But knowing she was in the world made listening to her songs over and over again an experience akin to heeding advice from a loving, affirmative friend. I felt her voice in real time, as if she were calling to me from across the ocean. Now she calls from somewhere else...wherever that may be.