Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Unused Bare Trees cover art, drawn by Christine

This is new to me (sorry if it has been posted before; I searched and couldn't find anything). Unused Bare Trees cover art, drawn and painted by Christine and held by the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 12-04-2022, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
This is new to me (sorry if it has been posted before; I searched and couldn't find anything). Unused Bare Trees cover art, drawn and painted by Christine and held by the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
Didn't know about this! I definitely won't go into which one is the better, but I think it's a truly interesting alternative. I'd say it's not quite as bleak as the one they used . . . thanks for pointing out!
Old 12-04-2022, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Her art is lovely - thanks for finding that! That museum website is pretty cool - if you click on Christine’s name, they have a few things of hers. Check out the notebooks and papers. Can anyone recognize songs in the lyric ideas? I’m on a small phone screen and am having trouble reading them.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
Her art is lovely - thanks for finding that! That museum website is pretty cool - if you click on Christine’s name, they have a few things of hers. Check out the notebooks and papers. Can anyone recognize songs in the lyric ideas? I’m on a small phone screen and am having trouble reading them.
The lyrics and sketch book:

"Remember when you told me -
not so very long ago
that you'd always hold me
never let me go
- Chords
Dm. G. A min thingy
Did you alway know it
that your love'd be first to go
being the first one to bestow it
Now I'll never know
Playing around [scratched out]
don't be unkind
if you've made up your mind
to go, [scratched out]
I'd never hold you to me -
but before you go
you must know -
it's like an arrow going through me"

Mystery To Me jotter pad:

when I really give it a thought
I feel as though I need a break
get out into the country air
cos how much can anybody take
------------------
I feel I need a little bit
of piece of mind
and a little bit of sympathy
it doesn't seem to matter
what people say
cos it isn't enough for me

The longest one titled "A dream" is, well, a dream she had. I couldn't make out a few words, but the gist is that Mick left her near the house as he left for the gig one evening. She was scared of the dark so she ran to the house. She was stopped by a "strange man" who approached her and tried to pick her up. She tried to scream but found it difficult due to her fear. Two policemen came and took him away.

As she walked up the stairs to her flat (?), she heard "a voice, or that of a narrator saying, 'This is where it all started when she turned them to vegetarians.'" She brushed off the voice and fumbled in her bag for her key.

Suddenly a hand appeared out of the dark and reached for her throat. She saw a person with a twisted face. Then a second figure, a little scarier than the first, appeared and too reached for her throat, then a third did the same.

She turned and saw a whole school of people who seemed uncoordinated. Though she was terrified, she tried to calm them by offering to take them to her house to feed them brown rice and vegetables. The people reacted "as children who were helpless with their situation," but were happy, and they followed her as she tried to find her house.

Her handwriting here became harder for me to decipher, but in the end, she followed through with her offer and took the group to her house and fed them brown rice and vegetables. When Mick and everyone else came home, they were a little surprised, "but it was alright."

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."

Last edited by Moz; 12-04-2022 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-2022, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
'This is where it all started when she turned them to vegetarians.'
Most terrifying part of the dream.

Old 12-06-2022, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
The lyrics and sketch book:

"Remember when you told me -
not so very long ago
that you'd always hold me
never let me go
- Chords
Dm. G. A min thingy
Did you alway know it
that your love'd be first to go
being the first one to bestow it
Now I'll never know
Playing around [scratched out]
don't be unkind
if you've made up your mind
to go, [scratched out]
I'd never hold you to me -
but before you go
you must know -
it's like an arrow going through me"

Mystery To Me jotter pad:

when I really give it a thought
I feel as though I need a break
get out into the country air
cos how much can anybody take
------------------
I feel I need a little bit
of piece of mind
and a little bit of sympathy
it doesn't seem to matter
what people say
cos it isn't enough for me

The longest one titled "A dream" is, well, a dream she had. I couldn't make out a few words, but the gist is that Mick left her near the house as he left for the gig one evening. She was scared of the dark so she ran to the house. She was stopped by a "strange man" who approached her and tried to pick her up. She tried to scream but found it difficult due to her fear. Two policemen came and took him away.

As she walked up the stairs to her flat (?), she heard "a voice, or that of a narrator saying, 'This is where it all started when she turned them to vegetarians.'" She brushed off the voice and fumbled in her bag for her key.

Suddenly a hand appeared out of the dark and reached for her throat. She saw a person with a twisted face. Then a second figure, a little scarier than the first, appeared and too reached for her throat, then a third did the same.

She turned and saw a whole school of people who seemed uncoordinated. Though she was terrified, she tried to calm them by offering to take them to her house to feed them brown rice and vegetables. The people reacted "as children who were helpless with their situation," but were happy, and they followed her as she tried to find her house.

Her handwriting here became harder for me to decipher, but in the end, she followed through with her offer and took the group to her house and fed them brown rice and vegetables. When Mick and everyone else came home, they were a little surprised, "but it was alright."
wow! This is all so cool. the lyric bit about the sympathy made me think of Sugar Daddy.

--Lis