User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I agree with you- while I think the four Tango songs I mentioned, plus Seven Wonders, are stronger than anything on Mirage, Mirage as a whole is more consistent. I dislike Family Man and When I See You Again, and think You and I, Caroline, and Tango are just ok. On Mirage, the only songs I dislike are Empire State and Oh Diane. Otherwise I can listen to Mirage straight through, and as you said, they sound like a band. Not so much on Tango. But Christine’s growth and confidence as a songwriter from Mirage to Tango is truly impressive. It’s unusual to see someone grow so much as a writer later in life… the opposite of Stevie, whose songs tended to be less memorable as she got older. Although in all fairness, Stevie has released a lot more material than Christine, and the more material out there, the less memorable it may be.
Maybe it's because I was 5 years older for Tango, but Mirage LIVES IN MY HEART. ALL of the songs. They come on, and I remember how much they meant to me. How happy they made me. I used to skip Only Over Ewe, but it finally grew on me, too.

And I love Empire State, which was only a year after Law And Order, so I was still into freaky Lindsey.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Maybe it's because I was 5 years older for Tango, but Mirage LIVES IN MY HEART. ALL of the songs. They come on, and I remember how much they meant to me. How happy they made me. I used to skip Only Over Ewe, but it finally grew on me, too.

And I love Empire State, which was only a year after Law And Order, so I was still into freaky Lindsey.
I used to skip about 1/3 the album when it first came out but listened to the other 2/3 all the time. But now I dig all of it—except “Oh Diane” (which I never liked) and “Straight Back” (which I used to like). Side 1 is especially cool. But “Eyes” on side 2 is also great.

I’ve always dug “Only Over You” primarily because of the surprise of her voice ascending in such a sexy way. It’s like: “oh, we’ve entered a room where people are doing adult things...” After the initial embarrassment of hearing her sing/moan, I couldn’t turn away. Voyeur?
Old 08-03-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I used to skip about 1/3 the album when it first came out but listened to the other 2/3 all the time. But now I dig all of it—except “Oh Diane” (which I never liked) and “Straight Back” (which I used to like). Side 1 is especially cool. But “Eyes” on side 2 is also great.

I’ve always dug “Only Over You” primarily because of the surprise of her voice ascending in such a sexy way. It’s like: “oh, we’ve entered a room where people are doing adult things...” After the initial embarrassment of hearing her sing/moan, I couldn’t turn away. Voyeur?
Oh Diane, I've only slightly come to like it. It's such a weird song on this album. (But, Mirage is weird).

OOY and WYWH are beautiful songs. After hearing it live with the passion she sang it with during BUCKVIE, I might say WYWH is my favorite. OOY that outro grabs me. Pure Buckvie on both outros.

The chemistry between Buck and McVie is kind of amazing. I'm glad Stevie was absent a lot of the time. The other two really shine on Tango and Mirage.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 08-03-2022 at 08:04 AM..