User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I was way too young to be aware of it in real time but I'd have to agree that Hold Me and Gypsy were so strong that they were the primary reasons that Mirage sold so well. And not just the songs but the videos too.
THIS. Gypsy especially. MTV was new and hot. The video for Gypsy is(IMO) what really caught people's eye to Mirage.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
THIS. Gypsy especially. MTV was new and hot. The video for Gypsy is(IMO) what really caught people's eye to Mirage.
It did for me. That video was the perfect visual complement to that song. Had there been no music videos at the time, I suspect “Hold Me” would still have reached #4 in the US, because it’s just that kind of song—a surefire hit. “Gypsy” would likely have done well, too, but I doubt it would have had such longevity in the public imagination without the video. This is not a knock at that song, which is lovely, but an acknowledgment of how crucial visuals were in Stevie Nicks’ mass appeal. Christine made and sang earworms. We didn’t need to see “Say You Love Me” or “Everywhere” in order to be charmed by them. In fact, they were made to be savored on airwaves. But Stevie’s power is so completely tied to her stage presence, her theatrical skills in song performance.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It did for me. That video was the perfect visual complement to that song. Had there been no music videos at the time, I suspect “Hold Me” would still have reached #4 in the US, because it’s just that kind of song—a surefire hit. “Gypsy” would likely have done well, too, but I doubt it would have had such longevity in the public imagination without the video. This is not a knock at that song, which is lovely, but an acknowledgment of how crucial visuals were in Stevie Nicks’ mass appeal. Christine made and sang earworms. We didn’t need to see “Say You Love Me” or “Everywhere” in order to be charmed by them. In fact, they were made to be savored on airwaves. But Stevie’s power is so completely tied to her stage presence, her theatrical skills in song performance.
I was already neck deep in my fandom when Mirage came along, so I'd have worshiped it regardless, but the Gypsy video truly seemed like a work of art at the time.

It's amazing how quickly $he slid downhill with her drug use, song writing, and voice. From the Bella Donna masterpiece in 1981 to the TURD OSOTM in 1989. Drugs are bad kids....

And yes, Chris is the earworm queen! It amazing how she always finds such catchy hooks!
Old 03-23-2021, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Admit it... you stretched and danced in front of your floor mirror just like Stevie did in the video. I can even picture paper flowers in the background.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Admit it... you stretched and danced in front of your floor mirror just like Stevie did in the video. I can even picture paper flowers in the background.
Not so much. I've never been in touch with any "girly side" of me. Really.

YOU KNOW, now that you bring it up....it ALWAYS pissed me off that people ASSumed that I only liked FM because "that $tevie is so HOT!". Guys in high school would say that, and I'd just roll my eyes and let it roll off my shoulders. I always enjoyed the music far more than the drama. Perhaps the reason I loathe shippers so.... Shipping is so f*cking stupid.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of soap operas, either. I live in reality. Well, not really, but MY reality!
Old 03-23-2021, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick promoted his Peter Green Concert today and the BBC interviewer today said to Mick to come back and talk about the Fleetwood Mac Live album.

Mick said he'd love that. If it were Billy Joel in that situation, Billy would've said I have nothing to do with that release but I'll come back because I have nothing else to do.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yeah, I've never been a fan of soap operas, either. I live in reality. Well, not really, but MY reality!
See but if this was a soap we could’ve recast Stevie or wrote her off the show years ago. Hell, maybe the 2000’s era jerk Stevie is actually an evil twin and the real Stevie is locked away on an island somewhere just waiting for Lindsey to come rescue her?? Alright, I’m done
Old 03-23-2021, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
See but if this was a soap we could’ve recast Stevie or wrote her off the show years ago. Hell, maybe the 2000’s era jerk Stevie is actually an evil twin and the real Stevie is locked away on an island somewhere just waiting for Lindsey to come rescue her?? Alright, I’m done
Do you mean, like her plane could crash? Or Karen was really her lesbian lover, and killed her in some passionate scene? Or $he contracts a horrible combination of V.D.'s, and suffers Al Capone's fate?

Now that's a soap opera I'd watch!!!
Old 03-23-2021, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Do you mean, like her plane could crash? Or Karen was really her lesbian lover, and killed her in some passionate scene? Or $he contracts a horrible combination of V.D.'s, and suffers Al Capone's fate?

Now that's a soap opera I'd watch!!!
She does love her Dickens .How about dancing around her house for joy in her chiffon gown and twirling too close to the fireplace like Miss Havisham?

Old 03-23-2021, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
She does love her Dickens .How about dancing around her house for joy in her chiffon gown and twirling too close to the fireplace like Miss Havisham?
You win! Your plot is far more interesting than mine!

More than her walls would be flaming!

Ain't no Preparation H gonna put out that fire!