Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2003, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Post Lindsey's self-quotations throughout the years.

We all know LB likes to reuse his previous musical ideas. Before someone comes here and starts to use this list I've made as a way of denigrating Lindsey, I will say this. Lindsey’s “self-quotations” aren’t always that obvious and they are often used in different contexts and usually have a different meaning and feel to them. That’s how I see it.

So, I’ve made a list of his recyclables. I’m sure it’s not complete and other people can obviously add their own suggestions to it. May this list be sent to someone who is going to interview Lindsey and then be used as a basis for an interesting discussion.

I’m not really listing the lyrics here (hell, my screen name has appeared in three different songs), but they can be discussed too.

Here goes:

“Stephanie” (verse riff) > “Eyes Of The World” (the main riff) > “Bang The Drum” (vocal interaction and the keyboard riff in the chorus)
“Lola (My Love)” (the main riff) > “World Turning” (the main riff is basically a variation)
“Lola (My Love)” (the main riff) > “The Chain” (the little arpeggio at the end of the bar) > “Destiny Rules” (the dobro tone hints at those two)
“I’m So Afraid” > “Tango In The Night” (chords during solo) > Murrow (chords during solo)
“Not That Funny” > “I Know I’m Not Wrong” (the chords and the middle eight)
“Take A Little Time” > “That’s How We Do It In LA” (the guitar riff changed into a keyboard riff. Thanks to ChiliD for this one.)
“Johnny Stew” > “Gift Of Screws” (the guitar doubled with vocals, some similar parts)
“Big Love” > “Doing What I Can” (the chords, the riffage and a bit of the guitar solo)
“Big Love” (acoustic) > “Go Insane” (acoustic) (the four “bookend chords”)
“Big Love” > “Miranda” (chords, riffage)
“Big Love” (the chorus riff) > “Destiny Rules” (the opening riff)
“You And I Part 2” > “Surrender The Rain” (the keyboard riff in the chorus)
“You Do Or You Don’t” > “Bleed To Love Her” (the middle eight)

Hope you can understand what I mean. Also, a while ago I heard that the guitar in “You And I Part Two” is phrased similarly to the chorus guitar riff in “Big Love”. Does this mean that he wants us to believe Tango In The Night is a concept album?

The question is: WILL THIS EVER END?