The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know this is about recently eaten meals but what unusual things have people had to eat and did they like them?

In the Australian outback I ate crocodile and kangaroo - very nice. I drew the line at bugs though.

At a South African themed weekend at a hotel I ate ostrich - gorgeous.

Anybody eaten anything really icky (and we're not on the TMI thread here guys!).
Old 03-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Curried goat, red beans and rice, collard greens, and a jonny roll.
Seriously. I love trying new stuff.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Home made "chicken" pot pie using these. Omg insanely delicious- two helpings. My step-son's girlfriend baked a chocolate pound cake with caramel frosting. Cripes, I'll need to do extra time on that damned elliptical in the morning.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
Home made "chicken" pot pie using these. Omg insanely delicious- two helpings. My step-son's girlfriend baked a chocolate pound cake with caramel frosting. Cripes, I'll need to do extra time on that damned elliptical in the morning.
Those look good. Even though I've now got my weight under control, I have figured out how I can eat more, just by picking better things for me. Chicken and veggies good! Chocolate cake bad.
Lucky for me, that I don't have much of a sweet tooth...

Although I've been craving some vanilla ice cream today, for some reason....I'll bet it's been over a year, since I even tasted ice cream.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Those look good. Even though I've now got my weight under control, I have figured out how I can eat more, just by picking better things for me. Chicken and veggies good! Chocolate cake bad.
Lucky for me, that I don't have much of a sweet tooth...

Although I've been craving some vanilla ice cream today, for some reason....I'll bet it's been over a year, since I even tasted ice cream.
I don't crave chocolate or sweets, really. But when I'm faced with chocolate cake, I'm all over it.

FYI if you buy those morningstar chicken thingies, be sure to sprinkle some flour onto them before you fry them- they are so good. My mother in law made two pot pies- a "real" chicken one and ours. Ours was much better.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I don't crave chocolate or sweets, really. But when I'm faced with chocolate cake, I'm all over it.

FYI if you buy those morningstar chicken thingies, be sure to sprinkle some flour onto them before you fry them- they are so good. My mother in law made two pot pies- a "real" chicken one and ours. Ours was much better.
I don't really care for chocolate. No one believes me, but it gives me a headache. I like chocolate mixed with something else, like Reese's(my all time favorite) or Snickers. But a dark chocolate cake, with chocolate icing? Honestly, I can feel my head throbbing, just thinking about it.....bleck!

I just went to Trader Joe's today, and stocked up on a bunch of their healthy stuff. I love their tuna, in either red or green curry sauce. I put it over a bed of rice, and not counting the rice, only has 210(red curry) or 200(green curry) calories. Even better? $1.49! Cheap, delicious meal! I also buy their curry sauces, and throw my own chicken and veggies in it.

I had been told that a TJ's was coming to my town. Apparently, I was lied to! I know there's one in Indy(an hour away from my town). I guess I need to plan a trip around that, so I could finally buy some perishables.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Whatever happened to Stuckeys? I remember those a a kid when my family would drive down south for vacations.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Curried goat, red beans and rice, collard greens, and a jonny roll.
Seriously. I love trying new stuff.
Curried goat sounds good.

I don't have a sweet tooth - when all around me are opting for sickly chocolatey desserts I am always going to go for the cheeseboard.

I love squelchy chewy things like snails and whelks ( the husband always wants to puke when I eat those things

Old 03-14-2011, 05:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Last night we had Tuna & Sweetcorn Chowder (homemade) - my recipe calls for a couple of teaspoons of hot curry powder to be added and it peps it up a lot and brings out the flavour. We had crusty bread to dunk in. Deeelish
Old 03-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post
Curried goat sounds good.

I don't have a sweet tooth - when all around me are opting for sickly chocolatey desserts I am always going to go for the cheeseboard.

I love squelchy chewy things like snails and whelks ( the husband always wants to puke when I eat those things

You are me. I'd pick cheese or nuts over sweets, any day of the week!
Love me some escargot!
BTW- what is a whelk?

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 03-14-2011 at 10:14 AM..
Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Last night we had Tuna & Sweetcorn Chowder (homemade) - my recipe calls for a couple of teaspoons of hot curry powder to be added and it peps it up a lot and brings out the flavour. We had crusty bread to dunk in. Deeelish
Damn, that sounds deeelish!!!! Curry makes everything better! Tuna and sweetcorn.....mmmm.....thanks, now I'm hungry!

Got my sights set on a chinese restaurant tonight!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You are me. I'd pick cheese or nuts over sweets, any day of the week!
Love me some escargot!
You and me would have some fantastic meals out together methinks! All those chillies and curries! All that cheese!

Do you like icky cheeses like a really ripe Camembert or Gorgonzola? I like 'em when they are ready to walk off the shelf

Like any cheese though, doesn't have to have legs!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Damn, that sounds deeelish!!!! Curry makes everything better! Tuna and sweetcorn.....mmmm.....thanks, now I'm hungry!

Got my sights set on a chinese restaurant tonight!
Yep, love Chinese too!

We like to go and have a really posh Chinese meal, but we also love going to our local Oriental Buffet place where you can just pile up your plate over and over and eat things in any order you want.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Today's the start of my new diet, as such I shall be having half a bowl of Special k cereal with soya milk, as I did for breakfast and lunch.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You and me would have some fantastic meals out together methinks! All those chillies and curries! All that cheese!

Do you like icky cheeses like a really ripe Camembert or Gorgonzola? I like 'em when they are ready to walk off the shelf

Like any cheese though, doesn't have to have legs!
I do like em a little stinky, but even I have my limits...
I never met a cheese I didn't like, until I bought some limburger, a few years ago. It was on sale, and I thought, "hell, I like all cheese.....surely it's reputation is worse than it actually is". Nope, while IN the fridge, my Mom and I kept saying, "what's that terrible smell". It was IT, IN A CLOSED FRIDGE, bothering us in the next room. I had to put it out on the porch, and dispose of it, the next day.
Last month, I had some Stiltson(?) that was very stanky, but in a good, bleu cheese, sort of way. I couldn't leave that sh*t alone!