Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2002, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
And while he did direct a lot of his rants at the management company, he most certainly poked fun at her in a major way.
Letterman poked fun at her, yes... i never argued that fact. But you said he made "anti-Stevie" remarks, and I don't think anything he said was ever "anti-Stevie" at all.
It never appeared to be meant with any malice whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Already when Tango came out, there was a lot of antipathy toward Stevie; people were having great fun at mocking her image.
People have been mocking Stevie's "image" pretty much from Day One... again, I don't think that's a good sign that she is/was unpopular.
Anytime you achieve a certain level of stardom, there will always be some backlash in turn.
Heck, in Hollywood you probably haven't "made it" until the first time someone makes a joke about you.

In citing a lack of popularity, you mention the period from 1986 to 1997... but in that time, she had two Top 20 albums (one hitting the Top 10), a Top 40 "best of" compilation, and six Hot 100 charted singles (two of which were Top 20 hits, and a third hitting the Top 5). Not to mention four successful tours.
Even 'Street Angel'... which many consider to be Stevie's Waterloo... charted at #45.
If she had been completely unpopular, it wouldnt have even done that well.

So, I think the facts prove that her popularity may have waned, but she was never completely unpopular.

As for her voice and songwriting abilities... well, that's pretty subjective.
I think "Twisted," "Sweet Girl," "Trouble In Shangri-La," "Bombay Sapphires," "Love Is," and "Thrown Down," rank right up there with some of her best.

And her voice always has had its detractors.... as far back as the very first time Rolling Stone called it "callow."
But that doesn't seem to keep Stevie from perpetually garnering new fans.
Just look at how many YOUNG people became fans (of Stevie in particular) after hearing/seeing "Silver Springs" on MTV.
And true, it was a twenty year old song... but they were still hearing her voice as it is today.

For every argument that Stevie is washed up, unpopular, no longer talented, etc., etc., there are many equally valid (and perhaps even more plausible) arguments that she continues to be a very vital and talented artist.
She's just not everyone's cup of tea... and on that point, we can both agree.

Johnny Stew

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 08-08-2002 at 12:51 AM..