The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2003, 12:18 PM

With all due respect, saying that Affirmative Action discriminates against white males is a crock. Plain and simple. I'll start to take conservatives seriously on Affirmative Action when they stop using coded language to disguise racism. "States' rights" anyone?

Affirmative Action exists to correct a historic wrong. That is not a trivial thing. And if it weren't for this historic wrong, you wouldn't have as many minority kids growing up in desperate poverty. So should those kids continue to pay and be denied opportunity because a handful of white suburban kids might not get into the college of their choice? Hell, just send them to their second-choice college. They can deal.

Scores of black and Latino kids are growing up in neighborhoods where opportunity is scarce or nonexistent. If they have lower grades than a white applicant, is it because they had to contend with social, monetary and family pressures the white suburban kid didn't experience? Or is it because the inner-city minority kid is less capable? I'll let you answer that question. Of course white suburban kids have their issues, but to begin to understand why Affirmative Action is necessary we must make an effort to put ourselves in the shoes of the less fortunate.

And don't give me that crap about anyone can succeed in this country. That simply is unrealistic. Though we still do pretty good in the good ole US of A, too many people are falling by the wayside.

As for the issue of illegal immigrants. I say give them all the benefits we enjoy (which are dwindling daily anyway, courtesy of the corporate-sponsored greedy Republicans in Washington). Illegal immigrants will always be drawn to this country. And as long as greedy employers continue to hire them for ****ty wages, they will keep coming.

I say grant them amnesty, give them a decent wage and send them off to college under Affirmative Action. Then we'll start to see some justice.