Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Arrow DISCUSSION: Lindsey's songs from Mirage

Here's the 2nd discussion thread for Mirage - all about Lindsey Buckingham's songs.

Songs up for discussion
1. Book of Love
2. Empire State
3. Oh Diane
4. Eyes of the World
5. Can't Go Back

Unlike Christine and Stevie on Mirage, I guess one could say Lindsey didn't have that stand out "hit" like he did for Rumours, Tusk, and Tango in the Night.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey - Mirage

Eyes of the World
Can't Go Back
Oh Diane
Book of Love
Empire State
Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Eyes of the World probably stands out because of its three versions, all of which are awesome. But Can't Go Back is the prettiest. Oh Diane is underrated. Book of Love is gorgeous pastiche. Empire State is delightful lark.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know, all of these songs are nice to bop to, but I can't say there's one in that bunch that I really love or that I find to be more than "pleasant." Probably Can't Go Back is the one I like the most, due to the Melodies awaken sorrows from their sleep lyric.

Michele
Old 10-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

With the exception of Eyes Of The World, I find all of these songs to be terribly banal. The whole '50s throwback theme was so unimaginative and safe to the point it was insulting to the listener. It's like Lindsey was saying:

"Tusk was too out there for ya? Here! I'll give you a heaping dose of EXACTLY what you want!"

In spite of all that, i think Eyes is a pretty terrific song. I usually find myself hitting repeat with that one!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love all of these songs so much! Except Oh Diane . Can't Go Back is easily my favorite. But Book of Love is great to me too.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
You know, all of these songs are nice to bop to, but I can't say there's one in that bunch that I really love or that I find to be more than "pleasant." Probably Can't Go Back is the one I like the most, due to the Melodies awaken sorrows from their sleep lyric.

Michele
Yes! But he works out that concept more fully on Law & Order than on his Mirage tracks.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not too keen on any of Lindsey's songs on Mirage. Eyes of the World, Book of Love, and Can't Go Back are nice enough, but that's all.

Oh Diane and Empire State makes me want to hurt small children and puppies.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Yes! But he works out that concept more fully on Law & Order than on his Mirage tracks.
I totally agree with this. Law and Order works wonderfully. All of the "toy" songs on there really make sense. Bwana is a favorite but there are many others. Somehow on Mirage the experiment just doesn't work for me. There's a weird lack of energy.

What's even more annoying is that two really good tunes--Goodbye Angel and Teen Beat--were left off Mirage.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi there! Now with Lindsey's songs, that I really like!

1. Can't go back. Lovely. Short but lovely! One of my favourites, with Book of Love. Guitars as always, amazing, good song! Can't say more about it, I love it!!!
2. Book of Love. That's the other favourite. I like lyrics because, in one way or another, talk about my...situation... (Tell me who wrote the book of love? Was someone from above???? Ha ha ha haaaa). I love the song, the vocals, everything!
3. Empire State. Well, what can I say...is not "wooow, the song!!", but is nice!
4. Oh Diane. I think I wrote a lot about it in other topics, but well, I love it!! I always write about the demo version, that I made it instrumental to sing it myself, that I changed the name of the girl for another girl...after Gypsy, it was the first song I met from Mirage!
5. Eyes of the World. The first time I heard it with attention, was in the DVD of Boston, but then I heard the original, and I liked it! I love Christine's backing vocals!!

That's all, regards!!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can't Go Back- This one bores me a little. I do like the guitar, but the whole song is a little too instrumental for me.
Book of Love- I really like this one, definitely my second favorite on the album. The harmonies on "love" and "above" are heavenly. Shares some lyrics with The Monotone's version- I guess he really was going for that 50s vibe.
Empire State- NoNONONO NO. I skip this one every time.
Oh Diane- Okay, shoot me, but this is my favorite Lindsey song on Mirage. It's so bouncy and fun! I like the fact that it's kind of stripped down and sounds almost like a raw studio take.
Eyes of the World- Meh. Could take it or leave it. Drums have a fuller sound on this one, which is nice. There is a driving groove, this is my third favorite.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Can't Go Back - I like the lyrics and melody, but I always wished it didn't sound quite so much like a music box or something.

Book Of Love - Great harmonies and guitars.

Empire State - I actually love this song. I probably wouldn't put it on by itself, but whenever I hear it, I remember how much I like it. Weird that works.

Oh Diane - Can I vote for the demo version? So much more passion in that one...

Eyes Of The World - Favorite LB song from Mirage and favorite on the album tied with Hold Me.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueletter18 View Post
Empire State- NoNONONO NO. I skip this one every time.
Oh Diane- Okay, shoot me, but this is my favorite Lindsey song on Mirage. It's so bouncy and fun! I like the fact that it's kind of stripped down and sounds almost like a raw studio take.
Eyes of the World- Meh. Could take it or leave it. Drums have a fuller sound on this one, which is nice. There is a driving groove, this is my third favorite.
All opinions are welcome on The Ledge so I'm just having fun here when I say I will shoot you. I have the shotgun in hand and I'm waiting by the shed to do away with someone who praises Oh Diane and knocks Empire State and EOTW.The gun will also be used to blow Oh Diane into smithereens and then you and McTrouble and 3 other Ledgies can sit in the corner and cry and reminice for your pathetic song. Whoever's idea it was to make that song a single should have been shot too.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
All opinions are welcome on The Ledge so I'm just having fun here when I say I will shoot you. I have the shotgun in hand and I'm waiting by the shed to do away with someone who praises Oh Diane and knocks Empire State and EOTW.The gun will also be used to blow Oh Diane into smithereens and then you and McTrouble and 3 other Ledgies can sit in the corner and cry and reminice for your pathetic song. Whoever's idea it was to make that song a single should have been shot too.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Love, adore, go into raptures - for ALL of Lindsey's on Mirage.

But Oh Diane has made me go swoony for 30 years - and my obsession with The Gorgeous One was born because of this song!

So shoot me now Viv!