Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Law & Order: An Analysis

I will admit it right now, Law & Order is my least favorite solo Lindsey album. I don't dislike it, but I rarely play it all the way through. Suddenly, I had the urge to take all my solo Lindsey albums and play them chronologically to "discover" them again- or maybe find new things about each one I hadn't heard before.

So perhaps it was willful of me to start with this one, since I know it's very likely not everyone's favorite. I wanted to go through each song and discuss, or at least read what other people thought of the album as a whole.

Firstly, let me address this album cover:

WTF is this? I know some people may find it sexy or hot, but I'm just trying to find where Lindsey's actual real face is. It looks like some Baywatch makeup artists came to the photo shoot and tried to make him look llike David Hasselhoff 8 years before the actual show started. So does that mean that LB should be getting some credit for inspiring the Hoff's look on that show?

In any case, yes, Lindsey is gorgeous. But it's so...pristine and "touched-up" in a way that looks unnatural and overdone for Lindsey. So that's how I feel about that shiny/waxy looking Lindsey cover.

Aside from that, the actual music is a little polarizing. I don't mind that at all. I love different stuff. But it also contains my least favorite Lindsey song ever: "September Song," a tune so uninspiring to me that I try to pretend it doesn't even exist.

But it also has some really, really cool stuff that I dig. So I'd love it if you all could join me in a little discussion- general or song-by-song. I'm going to start with the very first track of course...

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 02-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bwana

I really love this song! I adore the opening and how LB's vocals start out. He's incredibly creative in the way he uses his voice to compliment whatever the song is about. In this case, well, I forget what the song is actually about but I think it had something to do with Mick...someone help me out. Anyway, this song is a perfect opening track to me. It shows how crazy awesome Lindsey is, utilizing his backing vocals, sound effects, and perfect beat/music to present a landscape of wild energy and fun.

Here are the lyrics:

Quote:
The night brings the stranger,
The jungle cries for more.
The natives in the villages,
The visitor at the door.
We all have our demons,
And sometimes they escape.
But Bwana is the visitor,
In control of your own fate.

Bwana, Bwana, Bwana,
Bwana, Bwana, Bwana

The night brings on strangers,
The jungle cries for more.
The natives in the villages,
The visitor at the door.
I'll count on someone to explain what this dang song is actually about. Or maybe we can try and interpret it... In any case, the lyrics are pretty straight-forward, simple. Lindsey has a lot of lyrics like this- or had, as I personally feel his lyrical abilities have grown tremendously since this album. I just love the way the song feels and the energy that it gives off. It's fantastic to play while running in the park.

Thoughts?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nico, I put on L & O just for this.

Ok..... Bwana. Made Me laugh so much when I first heard it. So much fun and so Lindsey. Could have gone right on Tusk......A large majority of these could have been on Tusk. I think the solo might be a kazoo. Cause I hear breaths in there.

Great song.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 02-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I quite agree, Mick. "Bwana" could certainly fit on Tusk in a way- but I do appreciate that he made it a solo effort. It has his blueprint on it. His style. I think Lindsey has a gift for creating music completely on his own and, for the most part, it can be a rewarding experience for the listener if you're willing to soak it in. This is an example of that. Off the bat, it's quite a strange trip. But it seems to pull you in on repeated listening.

I think it was a perfect choice for an opening track. It's like, "Hello, I'm Lindsey Buckingham. Welcome to my party."

Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I quite agree, Mick. "Bwana" could certainly fit on Tusk in a way- but I do appreciate that he made it a solo effort. It has his blueprint on it. His style. I think Lindsey has a gift for creating music completely on his own and, for the most part, it can be a rewarding experience for the listener if you're willing to soak it in. This is an example of that. Off the bat, it's quite a strange trip. But it seems to pull you in on repeated listening.

I think it was a perfect choice for an opening track. It's like, "Hello, I'm Lindsey Buckingham. Welcome to my party."
I agree with that. Nice that he kept this gem for his own catalog. It just screams Lindsey, doesn't it?

Here's Pattie's video from '06 Cincinnati...
Old 02-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
I agree with that. Nice that he kept this gem for his own catalog. It just screams Lindsey, doesn't it?

Here's Pattie's video from '06 Cincinnati...
A-maz-ing. I love it and it got such a GREAT response!!!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Nico, I put on L & O just for this.

Ok..... Bwana. Made Me laugh so much when I first heard it. So much fun and so Lindsey. Could have gone right on Tusk......A large majority of these could have been on Tusk.
i know we are not there yet, but you know which song reminds me of Tusk (the song) the most? Johnny Stew... all that groaning and sneering and elephant noises towards the end... he does that now when he does Tusk live.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Johnny Stew freakin' rules but i'll save it for later. lol

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 02-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Elle, I'm very thrilled to read about your newly acquired love for L&O. You know, it's a Lindsey album- the only one really-that I'm not particularly in love with, but I DO love songs from. Perhaps I would benefit from listening strictly to this album for the rest of this week and see where it takes me.

In any case, y'all know I adore "Bwana." I'm leaving it on that song for a day or so and then we can move on.

My goal is for us to discuss each song, share our thoughts on the album, and then perhaps share our favorite songs. This way I can select two for a "Solo Lindsey Favorite song" poll- you know, we're limited to only 10 songs so I have to break it down carefully.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Elle, I'm very thrilled to read about your newly acquired love for L&O. You know, it's a Lindsey album- the only one really-that I'm not particularly in love with, but I DO love songs from. Perhaps I would benefit from listening strictly to this album for the rest of this week and see where it takes me.

In any case, y'all know I adore "Bwana." I'm leaving it on that song for a day or so and then we can move on.

My goal is for us to discuss each song, share our thoughts on the album, and then perhaps share our favorite songs. This way I can select two for a "Solo Lindsey Favorite song" poll- you know, we're limited to only 10 songs so I have to break it down carefully.
that sounds good. do we want to do the by-the-album poll first? we would still have to select 10 songs to put in the poll... so maybe in discussion we can get rid of any extra songs and start the poll with 10 per album. and then select in the poll 2 from each album maybe? or more maybe and do another round to narrow down, b/c 2 from each album would end up with 12 which again we can't put in one poll. or maybe we can select in discussions and just do a poll of all of them at the end as you suggest?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I really love this song! I adore the opening and how LB's vocals start out. He's incredibly creative in the way he uses his voice to compliment whatever the song is about. In this case, well, I forget what the song is actually about but I think it had something to do with Mick...
didn't like it the first few times i heard it, but love it now. as far as i remember the song is supposed to be making fun of Mick and his going to Africa to record the Visitor.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I will admit it right now, Law & Order is my least favorite solo Lindsey album. I don't dislike it, but I rarely play it all the way through. Suddenly, I had the urge to take all my solo Lindsey albums and play them chronologically to "discover" them again- or maybe find new things about each one I hadn't heard before.

So perhaps it was willful of me to start with this one, since I know it's very likely not everyone's favorite. I wanted to go through each song and discuss, or at least read what other people thought of the album as a whole.

WTF is this? I know some people may find it sexy or hot, but I'm just trying to find where Lindsey's actual real face is. It looks like some Baywatch makeup artists came to the photo shoot and tried to make him look llike David Hasselhoff 8 years before the actual show started. So does that mean that LB should be getting some credit for inspiring the Hoff's look on that show?

In any case, yes, Lindsey is gorgeous. But it's so...pristine and "touched-up" in a way that looks unnatural and overdone for Lindsey. So that's how I feel about that shiny/waxy looking Lindsey cover.

Aside from that, the actual music is a little polarizing. I don't mind that at all. I love different stuff. But it also contains my least favorite Lindsey song ever: "September Song," a tune so uninspiring to me that I try to pretend it doesn't even exist.

But it also has some really, really cool stuff that I dig. So I'd love it if you all could join me in a little discussion- general or song-by-song. I'm going to start with the very first track of course...
I hate that cover so much. I don't see Lindsey there, either That alone would almost keep me from buying the album. It is in fact, the only album I don't have of Lindsey's.

I actually just listened to it start to finish for the first time a couple nights ago. It's on Youtube in it's entirety, so I gave it a go after Elle told me she was actually starting to dig the album. In the past, when I've tried to listen to any of the songs...I just couldn't get very far.

Bwana and Trouble are wonderful, and such a neat start to the album, but then after that...hmmm. I admit I liked it better when I just let it continue playing, rather than giving up and going to the next song, but there are still some clunkers on there. I haven't heard it enough to tell you which songs are which, so I'll check back after I give it yet another attempt.

But starting with the frist song - Bwana, I heard a live version first...from UTS tour in Cleveland, on Youtube. I loved it immediately. The cool thing for me was that after hearing it live first, the album version didn't disappoint at all. It was just as cool and fun, and a great way to open the album, I think!

I really want to like the rest of it...so I'm glad you brought this up, as it will encourage me that much more to give it another chance
Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Linds, I saw LB do it in Cleveland live and it was amazing. He had this piece of tape or whatever that was on his stand and he just started blowing into it at one point. Everyone was like, ok, this dude is a genius.

Anyway, I think it's a hard album to fall madly in love with at first listen. If anyone has actually done so, I want to read your account. Because, frankly, it's not the easiest of albums for me, and yet there are some pure gems on it.

Oh and post videos everyone! The more the merrier. I encourage visual and audio examples.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
But starting with the frist song - Bwana, I heard a live version first...from UTS tour in Cleveland, on Youtube. I loved it immediately. The cool thing for me was that after hearing it live first, the album version didn't disappoint at all. It was just as cool and fun, and a great way to open the album, I think!
yeah exactly the same with me ... heard several live versions first, didn't get what the big deal is, didn't like it much, then heard it few more times and started loving it... and when i finally heard the album version liked it just as much.

Trouble... uhm. still not liking it. although i like the stupid noises at its start.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i don't like the album cover either. just doesn't look like him. and he naturally looked very cute at the time, pity that's lost on that stupid cover...

re September song, that's a cover right? to me it's a bit endearing, b/c it sounds so much like something Elvis would sing and how he would sing it - so i assume it's inclusion stemmed from lindsey's love of elvis-like stuff.