Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Happy Birthday to Rumours

Released 35 years ago today. Timeless.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Though I didn't actually buy this album until September of 1978 it changed my life forever. Ofcourse I had heard all the released singles on the radio throughout 1977-78 and it was You Make Loving Fun that hooked me into buying the album and that's when I heard Gold Dust Woman for the first time. To this day I could hear GDW a thousand times a day and never tire of it. The last few minutes of the song is priceless.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would have to agree with you vi fox about your comments on Gold Dust Woman. I bought the album when it came out in 77. It was I Don't Want to Know that hooked me.I heard it on the radio and the was the beginning of this incredible 35 years of music. I found Silver Springs a month later and was just blown away. I ran out and bought everything released prior to Rumours and then waited for their next release. Of course that was Tusk, that became my number one album and song of all time. Happy Birthday!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Is it that time again? Not much else to say.....classic album that will never die.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"I have changed, oh but you, you remain ageless....."

Old 02-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Celebrating the gift! Happy Birthday "Rumours"!

Thanks Mick, John, Christine, Lindsey & Stevie ... and Ken & Richard.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Ledgie

Happy birthday to Rumours. Such a timeless classic album.

Time cast a spell on you, but you won't forget me.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Though I didn't actually buy this album until September of 1978 it changed my life forever. Ofcourse I had heard all the released singles on the radio throughout 1977-78 and it was You Make Loving Fun that hooked me into buying the album and that's when I heard Gold Dust Woman for the first time.
Yes, I didn't buy any albums until after Tusk was released. Then, after hearing Sara, I bought Tusk and eventually went back and got the other two albums. I was surprised that those songs that I had heard on the radio so much were all by the same band. I had never paid attention.

Michele
Old 02-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I know what I'm listening to this evening!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Senior Ledgie

Super-Lame joke of the day: I thought by now this album would be "Second Hand News".
*slinks away in shame*
Old 02-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFan92 View Post
I thought by now this album would be "Second Hand News".
*slinks away in shame*
*stares for a second at the comment*

then...

Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default The best was given, and the best taken out of all of them

When you write those beautiful songs and feel their feelings in an Album like Rumours, it took a toll on them........many thanks for your gift to us all FM!

John McVie, you named the album, good job.

35 years from now others will try to duplicate it, but will fail to reproduce an album like this.

I say a Rumours movie will be made of FM, one day it will produced I'm sure.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll be playing this all night.

~Love is my higher power. Family is my strength. Art is my passion - Kat Von D
Old 02-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

I love the fact that I'm old enough to remember when Rumours was released....

I hate the fact that I'm old enough to remember when Rumours was released...

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Grammy's most deserving Albums of the Year

Grammy's greatest Albums of the Year; Arcade Fire to Beatles
The Republic |azcentral.com

For all the backlash it inspired, Arcade Fire taking home an Album of the Year award from last year's Grammys was among the more deserving wins in Grammy history -- right up there with the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and Stevie Wonder's Triple Crown.
Here's a look at how "The Suburbs" stacks up against the other classic albums on our list of Grammy's most-deserving Album of the Year recipients.

1. The Beatles, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (1967)
Amazingly enough, this is the only time the Beatles took home Album of the Year (although it is worth noting that "Revolver" lost the year before to "A Man and His Music," a Frank Sinatra career retrospective with between-song narration by the Chairman of the Board himself. Narration!) In many ways the Beatles' most important album, "Sgt. Pepper" isn't nearly as conceptual as its reputation (or its artwork) would suggest. But it's a masterpiece regardless, from the time McCartney hits the mike to tell you, "It was 20 years ago today" through "Getting Better" to the album-closing majesty of "A Day in the Life."

2. Stevie Wonder, "Innervisions" (1974)
This was the first of three times Wonder took home Album of the Year in his '70s prime, a streak that caused Paul Simon to jokingly end an acceptance speech when he won Album of the Year with, "Most of all, I'd like to thank Stevie Wonder, who didn't make an album this year." It's a flawless effort that finds him weighing in -- with hooks intact -- on everything from drug abuse to racism and poverty. Hits include R&B chart-toppers "Higher Ground" and "Living for the City." On its 30th anniversary, it finished 23rd on a Rolling Stone list of greatest albums ever, Wonder's highest showing.

3. Bob Dylan, "Time out of Mind" (1998)
It's kind of funny that the only Album of the Year award he ever won was in the '90s -- not exactly the first decade people think of when it comes to Dylan. But unlike most consolation Grammys, this one earned it, having ushered in his late-career resurgence with what sounded like a late-night radio transmission from the afterlife. He sets the tone with "Love Sick," an almost reggae-flavored sleepwalk "through streets that are dead," and follows through with several of his best recordings since the '70s, making the most of producer Daniel Lanois' sense of atmosphere. It's a shame it was up against Radiohead's "OK Computer," though.

4. Arcade Fire, "The Suburbs" (2010)
It's easy enough to see how someone jonesing for an Arcade Fire backlash would mistake "The Suburbs" for an overreaching, self-important mess. It is a concept album weighing in at more than 60 minutes, after all. And the suburban theme is sure to strike some haters as an easy target that's been done to death by now. But here's the thing: They pull it off because they can, at times approaching the emotional intensity (and resonance) of "Funeral," their undisputed masterpiece, while expanding the scope of their sound yet again.

5. Fleetwood Mac, "Rumours" (1977)
This 19-times-platinum effort had put in no fewer than 31 weeks at No. 1 on Billboard's album chart before it took home Album of the Year. And that success was fueled by singles as inspired as Lindsey Buckingham's withering "Go Your Own Way" and the chart-topping "Dreams," by Buckingham's ex-lover Stevie Nicks. A classic breakup album, it documents not one but two romantic collapses in the band, effectively forcing the other halves in each relationship to play on songs about the pain they caused (except Christine McVie, whose husband, John, didn't write any).

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...#ixzz1lwoCDdJn