User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default 'Runaways' movie

Does anyone have an opinion about the upcoming movie about The Runaways? This is the band Joan Jett and Lita Ford were in before they went out on their own. It has the possibility of a good story. I just hope Hollywood won't go crazy with 'artistic license' and make it like a lot of movies that end up being a mockery of the band they tried to spotlight.

Last edited by holidayroad; 01-25-2010 at 10:42 AM..
Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
Does anyone have an opinion about the upcoming movie about The Runaways? This is the band Joan Jett and Lita Ford were in before they went out on their own. It has the possibility of a good story. I just hope Hollywood won't go crazy with 'artisitic license' and make it like a lot of movies that end up being a mockery of the band they tried to spotlight.
i want to see it~
Old 01-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I find it amusing there would be a movie made about them. Very few people cared about them. They were barely famous. Joan went on to have maybe two solo hits, Lita maybe two as well and that was it.
From the pics I've seen though, Kristen Stewart looks cute as Joan Jett.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From what I've heard from "insiders", it's very "Cheri Currie & Joan Jett" oriented and paints Lita in a very bad light. (the dreaded, going for "dramatic artistic license", I think)
Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I find it amusing there would be a movie made about them. Very few people cared about them. They were barely famous. Joan went on to have maybe two solo hits, Lita maybe two as well and that was it.
Well that's not really true, maybe you didn't care about them but they were hugely influential and inspired a lot of other girl bands that have emerged over the years from The Go-Go's to Courtney Love to The Donnas, to name but a few.
Plus The Runaways' story is a good one and could potentially make a great film, which is more the point of this biopic I'd say. Not all biopics are of household names, in fact a good deal of them aren't.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this film. Here's the trailer:

Last edited by trackaghost; 01-25-2010 at 02:01 PM..
Old 01-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I don't understand why it should be funny. They may not have been a massive hit in the U.S, but they sold out plenty of shows and were huge in other countries. They were well-respected and they opened for acts like Tom Petty, The Ramones, and formed alliances with Blondie and many UK punk bands. For bunch of teenage girls rocking it the 1970's, I'd say they were pretty awesome.

I can't wait for this film. It's based on Cherie Curry's biography, so it'll be very Dakota Fanning heavy. Dakota sounds pretty cool as Cherie, and I'm looking forward to more of the music they'll perform in the film. Should be interesting to see how they sound. Kristen Stewart looks similar to Joan Jett, but I'm not sure she can pull it off. I don't really like her much as an actress, but hope she can do a worthy job.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Fabulous Stains
Starring Diane Lane

Now THAT was a good movie. Have you seen it?

I have NO interest in a movie about The Runaways. If they were as successful as a couple of you think, they probably wouldn't have broken up so soon.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen: The Fabulous Stains
Starring Diane Lane

Now THAT was a good movie. Have you seen it?

I have NO interest in a movie about The Runaways. If they were as successful as a couple of you think, they probably wouldn't have broken up so soon.
I don't think you even read our posts. Oh well.

I have seen The Fabulous Stains, it's a great movie (and about a fictitious band). Interestingly though it was not a hit at the time (Paramount were disappointed with reactions to test screenings and only released it at a few arthouse cinemas) and only achieved cult status over the years thanks to late night showings on TV.
Proving the point that something doesn't have to be commercially successful to be worthy or good.

Btw, there's quite a few great bands that had short careers, Cream is the first one that comes to mind.

Last edited by trackaghost; 01-25-2010 at 08:22 PM..
Old 01-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I was just reading about this today... The movie debuted at Sundance last night...

I'm looking forward to the movie... I read the book years ago by Cheri Currie "Neon Angel" that the movie is based on... Should be interesting. The girls look amazingly similar to their real life counterparts especially the Joan Jett character.

Joan's probably had just as many top 40 hits as Stevie's had as a solo artist. She's no slouch.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Do you feel the need to be antagonistic about everything?

Music taste is subjective - in other words, your opinion is not the be all and end all. I personally think The Runaways were brilliant; here's a band that defined girl power, being independent and basically just being full of attitude - and they were only in their late teens. They are the definition of "riot grrl". I can't wait to see the film, I'm expecting amazing things because it's been hyped up so much.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Moon View Post
Do you feel the need to be antagonistic about everything?
Am I, little girl? That's how I view you too.

Last edited by vivfox; 01-25-2010 at 11:44 PM..
Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered

You sure can look at things funny.

I am guessing because Vivica Fox has had a long, yet pretty bland career, that it qualifies her for a movie?

I am thinking they would probably center on the Fiddy Cent story line most.

The Runaways are not my favorites but I think it still sounds like an interesting story. Friends to start a band that makes it big only to cause all kinds of strive between the friends. It even sounds some like Fleetwood Mac. Without the intraband horseplay.

was Eric Clapton was in Cream? Janis Joplin's career wasn't all that long was it? Didn't she change bands a couple times too?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8rBoi View Post
You sure can look at things funny.

I am guessing because Vivica Fox has had a long, yet pretty bland career, that it qualifies her for a movie?

I am thinking they would probably center on the Fiddy Cent story line most.

The Runaways are not my favorites but I think it still sounds like an interesting story. Friends to start a band that makes it big only to cause all kinds of strive between the friends. It even sounds some like Fleetwood Mac. Without the intraband horseplay.

was Eric Clapton was in Cream? Janis Joplin's career wasn't all that long was it? Didn't she change bands a couple times too?
I could care less about Vivica's movie career. She's a hottie. That's all I care about.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Registered

Quote:
I could care less about Vivica's movie career. She's a hottie. That's all I care about.
Thats how I personally feel about Spencer Pratt.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

remember the movie 'foxes'?, cherie curie was in it w/ jodie foster, man i just love that movie!!!~ i saw joan jett on her very first tour when i was 14~ i am super excited to see the movie, i hope it does well~ didn't the runaways drummer die not to long ago from lung cncer i think it was?~