User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question PG UNrelated BB King In London question

I know PG is only on "Caldonia" but I'm building up some content to the "BB King In London" album page in the discography and I noticed in the liner notes of my copy that there's someone billed as "The Mystery Shadow" as playing organ on "Blue Shadows" & "We Can't Agree" and in Google-ing it, some reports suggest it's Dr. John and others Steve Winwood but nothing concrete. Anyone here know? I can post this in the performance comments section but just thought I'd ask while working on it and would be more complete if we could come up with the name so let me know if you come across anything substantial on this and naturally I'll list you as a contributor of the page. Thanks for the feedback in advance (fingers crossed that there is some to come).

John
Old 11-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here you go John,
In the November 19-15 1971 issue of Time Out there was an article on B.B. King written while the sessions were being recorded.
The writed listed the players as follows: Ringo Starr, Steve Winwood, Ian Stewart, Klaus Voorman, Peter Green, Alexis Korner, Steve Marriot, Bobby Keyes and Jim Keltner.
He went on to say, "Dave Mason and Jim Capaldi came by to listen, Robbie Robertson had been rumoured; while Clapton, George Harrison and John Lennon promised to appear but never showed."

I think you can take that as "proof positive" that it was in fact Steve Winwood.
I believe his "nom de recording" was in fact taken from a Traffic song - guess it sounded cooler than "Steve Anglo

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 11-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Here you go John,
In the November 19-15 1971 issue of Time Out there was an article on B.B. King written while the sessions were being recorded.
The writed listed the players as follows: Ringo Starr, Steve Winwood, Ian Stewart, Klaus Voorman, Peter Green, Alexis Korner, Steve Marriot, Bobby Keyes and Jim Keltner.
He went on to say, "Dave Mason and Jim Capaldi came by to listen, Robbie Robertson had been rumoured; while Clapton, George Harrison and John Lennon promised to appear but never showed."

I think you can take that as "proof positive" that it was in fact Steve Winwood.
I believe his "nom de recording" was in fact taken from a Traffic song - guess it sounded cooler than "Steve Anglo
Ah! Great! Thanks! Interesting, the Ian Stewart stuff obviously didn't make it to the final cut since he's not listed anywhere in my copy, he could've been a contender but yeah, you're right it's Winwood, and I agree that "Mr. M. Shadow" would beat Steve Anglo any day for a pseudonym!

John
Old 11-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Ah! Great! Thanks! Interesting, the Ian Stewart stuff obviously didn't make it to the final cut since he's not listed anywhere in my copy, he could've been a contender but yeah, you're right it's Winwood, and I agree that "Mr. M. Shadow" would beat Steve Anglo any day for a pseudonym!

John
Am I right to conclude from this that Steve Anglo is in fact Stevie Winwood?
If that is so, I never realised where in fact I had the 2LP box set Raw Blues including Steve Anglo to join John Mayall on a couple of tracks.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, Steve Anglo is Steve Winwood - he is heard on one track on the "Raw Blues" compilation - he plays organ on "Long Night" with Mayall on guitar -
Winwood first used the name when he played on three tracks for another compilation, "What's Shakin'", for the American Elektra label in March of 1966 -
He played keyboards and sang for a one off band Clapton put together for the project called "The Powerhouse"
The recorded, "I Want To Know", "Crossroads" and "Steppin' Out"

The full line-up was:

Eric Clapton: guitar
Steve Winwood: keyboards and vocals
Drums: Peter York
Bass: Jack Bruce
Harmonica: Paul Jones
Piano: Ben Palmer

I would recommed the collection for a couple of Paul Butterfield Blues Band tracks and a great Al Kooper number

"Steppin' Out" was already a mainstay in the Bluesbreakers' set but for whatever reason, "Crossroads" was apparently not performed while he was with Mayall - the arrangement is similiar though

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder