Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default DeLay prosecutor subpoenas Abramoff documents (& Saipan Sweatshops)

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw....10d94572.html

WASHINGTON - The prosecutor in the Texas money laundering case against Rep. Tom DeLay issued subpoenas Tuesday looking for links between lobbyist Jack Abramoff and fundraising by the former majority leader.

Jack Abramoff District Attorney Ronnie Earle issued the subpoenas in Austin the same day that Abramoff pleaded guilty in Washington to federal charges of conspiracy, tax evasion and mail fraud.

Abramoff's plea came in a wide-ranging corruption investigation that is believed to be focusing on as many as 20 members of Congress and congressional aides, including DeLay and one of his former aides. Investigators allege Abramoff and his ex-partner Michael Scanlon defrauded several Indian tribes of tens of millions of dollars in a lobbying scheme that also involved bribery of public officials.

In the Texas case, Earle sought records from Abramoff's former employers, legal firms Greenberg Traurig LLP and Preston Gates Ellis & Rouvelas Meeds, LLP. He also subpoenaed records from a lawyer for the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians, a former Abramoff client, and from a representative for the Barona Band of Mission Indians, a California tribe.

DeLay attorney Dick DeGuerin said Earle "goes where the fish bite."

"Ronnie Earle is an opportunist," DeGuerin said. "He issues subpoenas to try to make a connection between his case and the latest scandal, whatever it happens to be. The Abramoff thing is the latest he's doing. It has nothing to do with the case in Texas. Nothing. Zip."

DeLay is facing money laundering charges stemming from corporate contributions to a fundraising committee he formed for 2002 state legislative elections. Texas law bans using corporate or union contributions for election or defeat of a candidate.

DeLay is accused with two associates of funneling corporate money through Texans for a Republican Majority, TRMPAC, and the Republican National Committee to several state legislative campaigns in 2002.

DeLay has repeatedly denied wrongdoing and labeled the investigation political.

He was forced to step aside as majority leader after he was indicted on money laundering and conspiracy charges in September. No trial date has been set because of pending appeals filed by Earle and DeLay.

Preston Gates Ellis & Rouvelas Meeds contributed $25,000 and the Barona Band, $5,000 to TRMPAC in 2002. The Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians contributed $1,000 in 2001, according to TRMPAC records.

In his subpoenas, Earle asks for correspondence between the subpoenaed parties and TRMPAC; Americans for a Republican Majority, DeLay's national fundraising committee; David Safavian, the Bush administration's former chief procurement official indicted in the Abramoff case; Abramoff, former Christian Coalition director Ralph Reed and DeLay's co-defendants.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Me and the office were talking about this today. Wondering if he would live... ooo, bribery of public officials too!
Sweet. Defraud tribes. It's an American tradition...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is gonna get real ugly before its over.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Me and the office were talking about this today. Wondering if he would live... ooo, bribery of public officials too!
Sweet. Defraud tribes. It's an American tradition...
He was so nasty about it too. In The Truth (with jokes) Franken published Abramoff's emails with Scanlon back and forth about how they wanted all the tribes' money. They are vile creatures. Plus, he calls him "Abraham Jackoff". They don't call it "(with jokes)" for nothin'!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The real scandal of Tom DeLay

Arguably the worst thing Abramoff was involved in was keeping the status quo of indentured servitude in Saipan (Pacific island - US territory). Franken covers this in The Truth (with jokes) and ironically I've been on this section of his book since Abramoff has been in the news for his plea. He lobbied for the fat cat clothing business executives over there who lived like kings off of the backs of people from China, Sri Lanka, and other poor countries. The workers lived behind barbed wire, did not have proper working facilities (broken toilets, showers, etc), and were forced to have abortions if they got pregnant. It seems it has been cleaned up since (http://www.sweatshopwatch.org/index.php?s=54). I can't believe how horrible this man is!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/09/real.delay/
According to law firm records recently made public, lobbyist Jack Abramoff, paid millions to stop reform and keep the status quo, met personally at least two dozen times with DeLay on the subject in one two-year period. The DeLay staff was often in daily contact with Abramoff.
DeLay fully approved of the working and living conditions. The Texan's salute to the owners and Abramoff's government clients was recorded by ABC-TV News: "You are a shining light for what is happening to the Republican Party, and you represent everything that is good about what we are trying to do in America and leading the world in the free-market system"

Later, DeLay would tell The Washington Post's Juliet Eilperin that the low-wage, anti-union conditions of the Marianas constituted "a perfect petri dish of capitalism. It's like my Galapagos Island."
These companies (Tommy Hilfiger USA, Gap, Calvin Klein and Liz Claiborne) could stamp "Made in the USA" on their clothing legally. This is one of the sickest things I have ever heard.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Newtie Gignrich reared his head in the last couple of days and said he thinks DeLay should step down. Oh, the irony.
I'll have to check out Franken's new book. I've always liked his writing.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Wow, Suze - a lot of good info. What a tubscumring. I think I'll pick up that book. Abramoff was part of this week's Newscope (on stariq.com) - it's hard to believe that guy is a Pisces....

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
Newtie Gignrich reared his head in the last couple of days and said he thinks DeLay should step down. Oh, the irony.
I'll have to check out Franken's new book. I've always liked his writing.
Oh Newtie, little Newtie... They're unbelievable. Only because the light is shinging on DeLay so brightly does he say this. Only because he wouldn't want to be tarnished by association.

His book is really informative, and very funny! I'm flying through it but I didn't think I would. I didn't think after Lies anything could be better or even come close. It does though, its a great book! My Mom pulled it from my Amazon wish list and gave it to me for Christmas.

A warning though, it is kind of depressing to go back through everything that happened leading up to the '04 election and after. Franken's theory is that stupid wolf ad won them the presidency. Well, the message that "if you vote for Kerry your children will die" is what got him the presidency. Which we know, but going back through the details in black and white is jarring. But this is where the jokes come in! Thank god Al is funny. Phew.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Arguably the worst thing Abramoff was involved in was keeping the status quo of indentured servitude in Saipan (Pacific island - US territory). Franken covers this in The Truth (with jokes) and ironically I've been on this section of his book since Abramoff has been in the news for his plea. He lobbied for the fat cat clothing business executives over there who lived like kings off of the backs of people from China, Sri Lanka, and other poor countries. The workers lived behind barbed wire, did not have proper working facilities (broken toilets, showers, etc), and were forced to have abortions if they got pregnant. It seems it has been cleaned up since (http://www.sweatshopwatch.org/index.php?s=54). I can't believe how horrible this man is!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/09/real.delay/
According to law firm records recently made public, lobbyist Jack Abramoff, paid millions to stop reform and keep the status quo, met personally at least two dozen times with DeLay on the subject in one two-year period. The DeLay staff was often in daily contact with Abramoff.
DeLay fully approved of the working and living conditions. The Texan's salute to the owners and Abramoff's government clients was recorded by ABC-TV News: "You are a shining light for what is happening to the Republican Party, and you represent everything that is good about what we are trying to do in America and leading the world in the free-market system"

Later, DeLay would tell The Washington Post's Juliet Eilperin that the low-wage, anti-union conditions of the Marianas constituted "a perfect petri dish of capitalism. It's like my Galapagos Island."
These companies (Tommy Hilfiger USA, Gap, Calvin Klein and Liz Claiborne) could stamp "Made in the USA" on their clothing legally. This is one of the sickest things I have ever heard.
I'm listening to The Best of Franken right now and he says this stuff is still going on in Saipan. The merchants above should be avoided, unless they've changed their ways which, at the moment, I don't have time to research.

I want to add that the manufacturers also lie to these, mostly women, and tell them they will be working in America. Then, the women pay (about $8,000) to come over only to find out they are to work in sweatshops! The merchants can stamp Made in America on their products while the workers are not protected by American labor laws. SHAME ON THESE COMPANIES.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

The sad thing is DeLay has been appointed to the powerful Appropriations Committee, so he still has quite a leadership position. He replaces Duke Cunningham, one crook for another.