Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Brisbane -11/10

A few late night/early morning thoughts as I wind down from an incredible concert (let's call it "Isn't it Midnight").

- I was going to go through in somewhat of a logical order, but first things first. Something went very awry in Tusk. I hope someone has video and someone that knows something about music can tell us exactly what went wrong, but as the drums kicked in, it sounded like one of them was... missing. Or something. Seriously, this is why I don't play instruments. But in any case, it sounded instantly off to me. Lindsey looked worried, gestured to Mick, everyone stopped and Lindsey said "Look, we're just going to admit that we're not perfect and start that one again." He called it something to the effect of "the earn and learn version of Fleetwood Mac". Second time was a charm.

- There should be an FM Live drinking game -- one drink every time Stevie plays with her ear monitor or mic pack and you'd be on the floor after Second Hand News.

- Sara was very nice, and I think even better than last time around. Stevie held some great notes towards the end, but from where I was sitting, there was no epic S&L canoodling

- Landslide was dedicated to Dr Bill. (Well, I think it was Bill. I'm second guessing myself now.) Anyway, Stevie said over the years he has shown them all these things to keep them healthy and doing what they're doing at this age, which Stevie referred to as "9000 vampire years". After laughter, she said, "You laugh, but it's true." Really Stevie, I'm not sure that's how vampire years work.

- I think the slowed down NGBA is officially out of control -- some people were actually laughing, and I can see why they thought it was a parody. Overall though, I love the Big Love/Landslide/NGBA set -- a great showcase of Lindsey and Stevie. They were also very cute with each other at the end of Landslide.

- When Christine introduced Mick and his cocktail kit, someone laughed. Christine asked "Are you laughing?" Well yes, because cocktail kit always sounds like a made-up name.

- Stevie's Gypsy intro was the less cute version of the Melbourne one. She did helpfully point out though that when she met Lindsey she "was a senior, in 1966. He was a junior in... 1966"

- I loved the homage to the Gypsy video with the rain effect overlaid on the live video.

- During the encore, John and Stevie fist bumped. It was so amazingly white.

- I hope I don't have to hand back my Stevie Fangirl badge, but it was *amazing* to see Christine. Maybe it's the part of me that has this vague memory of being not much more than five years old, sitting atop Red Hill in Canberra and hearing Say You Love Me coming from I don't even know where, but gosh, hearing Christine live was just so special. She looks wonderful, she looks like she's having a great time, and the others look so pleased to have her back too. I do think Stevie is a less dominant force with Christine around, which the Stevie fan in me is still coming to terms with, but the band is obviously so much more complete with Christine in it, and I'm thrilled to have been able to see it. I mean, hearing Little Lies and remembering this is the first tour ever where these five have done it? Incredible! (FWIW, my mum remains firmly in Stevie's corner.)

- Only the first row was allowed up to the stage. Did this happen at other concerts? I was row 2, and dutifully remained in my place until the first encore. I thought I deserved a reward after behaving myself so well for 19 songs!

I so wish I was going again on Thursday, but Europe is calling me next year and apparently it's true that money doesn't grow on trees. In the mean time, I will remain eternally optimistic that this isn't the last time I'll see them. They're too good to stop just yet.

Last edited by DoubtfulMiracle; 11-10-2015 at 10:20 AM..
Old 11-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great concert report DoubtfulMiracle, i have just arrived home its 1.15am. I was sitting in the 5th row Lindsey's side, i have a crook neck from looking sideways. They started 20 min later than usual, but well worth the wait they were absolutely fantastic...

Yeah i wonder what went wrong with Tusk, i thought it sounded a bit odd at first as well, when the band stopped playing i could see Stevie mouth to John what happened? he just shrugged, then they looked at Mick he said it wasn't me then they all looked towards Lindsey as if to say Lindsey stuffed it up Then they started the song again, no problems after that...

Security ushered a large group of youngish girls directly in front of Lindsey, we were told no crowd surfing to the front row, so my idea of sneaking up the front flew out the window The atmosphere changed way better when everyone was standing later in the set..

I cant wait to see them on Thursday again time for bed.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Poor unfortunate me was stuck up in a tiered section, so footage isn't exactly the best this time round. Anyhow......

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"

Last edited by nicole21290; 11-10-2015 at 01:27 PM..
Old 11-10-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Poor unfortunate me was stuck up in a tiered section, so footage isn't exactly the best this time round. Anyhow......

<
I'm never speaking to you again!!! lol
Old 11-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They're still wonderful videos Nicole, and they help jog my memory of the little things (like Stevie whistling!). Thank you!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulMiracle View Post
I was going to go through in somewhat of a logical order, but first things first. Something went very awry in Tusk. I hope someone has video and someone that knows something about music can tell us exactly what went wrong, but as the drums kicked in, it sounded like one of them was... missing. Or something. Seriously, this is why I don't play instruments. But in any case, it sounded instantly off to me. Lindsey looked worried, gestured to Mick, everyone stopped and Lindsey said "Look, we're just going to admit that we're not perfect and start that one again." He called it something to the effect of "the earn and learn version of Fleetwood Mac". Second time was a charm.
earn while you learn version of Tusk -

i believe Nicole has closer video that she's planning to share, showing the following:
"You'll like Tusk. They had to re-start and Lindsey pretty much mimed slitting his throat multiple times…"

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-10-2015, 06:30 PM

^^^^^ That's was awesome!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't work out what was wrong the first time around.

I loved John and Christine's improvised instrumentals when they stopped. That's a very British thing to do, trying to make light out of an awkward situation!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulMiracle View Post

- There should be an FM Live drinking game -- one drink every time Stevie plays with her ear monitor or mic pack and you'd be on the floor after Second Hand News.
chugg if she plays with it MORE than once during the same song
honey you'd be drunk by the end of Dreams

Quote:
- Landslide was dedicated to Dr Bill. (Well, I think it was Bill. I'm second guessing myself now.) Anyway, Stevie said over the years he has shown them all these things to keep them healthy and doing what they're doing at this age, which Stevie referred to as "9000 vampire years". After laughter, she said, "You laugh, but it's true." Really Stevie, I'm not sure that's how vampire years work.
pretty sure Linds is the only vampire in the band
and do vampires work out and do all this healthy nonsense? no

Quote:
- I think the slowed down NGBA is officially out of control -- some people were actually laughing, and I can see why they thought it was a parody.
people were laughing at my shows
hell, *I* was laughing
it was hilarious and sexual and how could you take it seriously
i love it. it's way better than it was on the other tours in the past 10 whatever years.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
I can't work out what was wrong the first time around.
I bet the backingtrack wasn't started or in sync.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i believe Nicole has closer video that she's planning to share, showing the following:
"You'll like Tusk. They had to re-start and Lindsey pretty much mimed slitting his throat multiple times…"
Nicole's video -

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That is so awesome. They are such a perfectly polished group, that when you get to see a little bit of difference, personality, and humanity......it's so refreshing.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post

pretty sure Linds is the only vampire in the band
Which was admitted in the Slow Dancing video.

Michele
Old 11-10-2015, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Review: Fleetwood Mac, Brisbane Entertainment Centre, November 10, 2015
November 10, 2015 6:00am Noel MengelThe Courier-Mail

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entert...rom=public_rss

WELCOME back Chrissie.

Not that Fleetwood Mac didn’t play great shows in Christine McVie’s years out of the band. But her return for this tour brings so many big songs back to the party — from You Make Loving Fun to Say You Love Me and Everywhere.

Naturally this first Brisbane Entertainment Centre show last night was sold out — there are a few tickets left for a second tomorrow night.

You know what you are going to get, two-and-a-half hours, mostly of hits, plus some album favourites like Gold Dust Woman.

Yet the addition of Christine’s songs, lead vocals and harmonies lifts the night to another level from their tours without her.

Mick Fleetwood and John McVie remain a powerhouse rhythm section, Lindsey Buckingham ensures the energy levels never flag despite this being show No 114 of a world tour, and Nicks’ voice remains a thing of crystalline wonder, from Dreams to Rhiannon, Sara and Landslide.

It’s a beautiful and tasteful visual production, but with this many big songs, they could play by torchlight and still hold our attention.

As Buckingham reminds the audience they put all their personal dramas out there in their songs. It sure beats singing about moon, June and the lesser concerns which can fill the charts for a week and are just as soon forgotten.

It is a long concert, close to three hours on stage, and at one point they even have a false start to Tusk, which not only shows they are human but only seems to fire up Buckingham further.

After such a long time on the road, you might imagine a band going through the motions. But not at this show, and on stage it’s Buckingham who stokes the intensity with some searing lead work and his virtuoso solo turn on Big Love.

Fleetwood grins from ear to ear during his party piece on World Turning, and by the time the 10,000 plus crowd is singing along with Don’t Stop, it doesn’t feel like this is goodbye.

The old hurts might be way in the past but they still have something to say: the word is that a new album is already recorded and set for release in 2016.

Fleetwood Mac play Brisbane Entertainment Centre again tomorrow night.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sure I'm just projecting and substituting my thoughts for hers, but I bet Christine would absolutely loathe being called "Chrissie."

Michele