Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Live in London '68

I found this at a local f.y.e. today for $5.24! I knew it had poor sound quality, but for $5 who could pass it up?

My favorite song is "Don't Know Which Way to Go", another Peter Green guitar gem.
I haven't really listened to the Spencer material yet, but I'll do so soon. Any thoughts?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thankfully you paid as little as you did as the sound is nicht gut. That's one of those ultra budget releases that is basically glorified soundboard (and I've heard better soundboard boots, truth be known). Might as well be bootleg as the band never endorsed that release. Song selection is so so, pre-DK era, but it's damn near unlistenable without the proper audio dynamics. Besides there were far too many rote blues covers that amount to the mundane from that era of the band. If it wasn't for some of Green's compositions and brilliant stringed theatrics, they'd of been AWB* in '68.

Stick to Shrine or any of the various '69 live sound sets - truer FM sound anyway, the way Green preferred it..

* Average White Band
Old 12-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I got some sort of itunes alert yesterday saying that "Live in London 68" title was released Nov 1, 2008.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I got some sort of itunes alert yesterday saying that "Live in London 68" title was released Nov 1, 2008.
iTunes pimping for business as usual with their "alerts" HA! This set has been kicked around for so long it resembles a junkyard dog at this point. It first saw light around 2000 to my knowledge, only to be reissued two or three years back with a different cover. It's also seen light as The Dream, but it couldn't be further from that lofty title if it tried.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
iTunes pimping for business as usual with their "alerts" HA! This set has been kicked around for so long it resembles a junkyard dog at this point. It first saw light around 2000 to my knowledge, only to be reissued two or three years back with a different cover. It's also seen light as The Dream, but it couldn't be further from that lofty title if it tried.
I think I had three copies of this album all under different names and it took me a while to work that one out! My copy says it was released in 1987?

But like all collectors you gotta have it (mine cost $5 too...although $5 was worth more back then!).

Quote:
Stick to Shrine or any of the various '69 live sound sets - truer FM sound anyway, the way Green preferred it..
I've been collecting the miscellaneous ones since I finished buying all the studio albums - Vaudeville Years, Showbiz Blues, Live In Boston I, II & III, Live at BBC, etc. Lots of good stuff on them.

Last edited by chriskisn; 12-15-2008 at 06:50 PM..
Old 12-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I think I had three copies of this album all under different names and it took me a while to work that one out! My copy says it was released in 1987?

But like all collectors you gotta have it (mine cost $5 too...although $5 was worth more back then!).
1987 go figure. Ha! Thanks for the additional clarity on that. And yeah, I guess true blue Mac diehards gotta have it, for "completeness" if nothing else (sure won't be to listen to too often, that's for sure -- ouch).
Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
1987 go figure. Ha! Thanks for the additional clarity on that. And yeah, I guess true blue Mac diehards gotta have it, for "completeness" if nothing else (sure won't be to listen to too often, that's for sure -- ouch).
As a matter of fact I still listen to it quite often. I especially like the songs:
- Don't know which way to go
- Buzz me
- Worried Dream
- How blue can you get
these have never been officially released with A-quality, but they are magnificent in the way Peter and co have put them down. Nothing wrong with that, just ignore the recording quality and let the MUSIC come to you.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
As a matter of fact I still listen to it quite often. I especially like the songs:
- Don't know which way to go
- Buzz me
- Worried Dream
- How blue can you get
these have never been officially released with A-quality, but they are magnificent in the way Peter and co have put them down. Nothing wrong with that, just ignore the recording quality and let the MUSIC come to you.
ROTFL. What can I say? I've tried Wouter, but the dang dynamics just keep coming up short. As I alluded to earlier, there are some good tracks to be had, I grant you that much. But ignore the recording quality ...

... and let the MUSIC come to you?

Lord help me feel the LOVE.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ROTFL. What can I say? I've tried Wouter, but the dang dynamics just keep coming up short. As I alluded to earlier, there are some good tracks to be had, I grant you that much. But ignore the recording quality ...

... and let the MUSIC come to you?

Lord help me feel the LOVE.
Actually I have a Led Zeppelin bootleg on LP that I paid $18 in 1984 dollars that sounds worse than this recording. I had to hear Keith Moon and John Bonham together (L.A. 1977). This CD is not the worst recording ever, it's just not worth $15 in todays dollars. By the inflation calculator, I spent close to $36 in 1984 for a Keith Moon/John Bonham "Moby Dick" . I have the Who live in San Fan '71 boot that may sound better than this FM concert, but it's about 2% slow, which I have corrected with software.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Actually I have a Led Zeppelin bootleg on LP that I paid $18 in 1984 dollars that sounds worse than this recording. I had to hear Keith Moon and John Bonham together (L.A. 1977). This CD is not the worst recording ever, it's just not worth $15 in todays dollars. By the inflation calculator, I spent close to $36 in 1984 for a Keith Moon/John Bonham "Moby Dick" . I have the Who live in San Fan '71 boot that may sound better than this FM concert, but it's about 2% slow, which I have corrected with software.
Yeah I've got a few clunkers I've collected over the years too, so no one has to feel bad in this department. And it is true, if the music really sings for you, you can sometimes overlook certain deficiencies. But still, when something is basically flat and borderline lifeless due to the sonics, you can understand why the band(s) in question refuses to put their seal of approval on such works. That goes for easily 75% of all soundboard boots you find out in the wild too. Most sound like varying degrees of crap; our appreciation of them often rides hand in hand with our appreciation of the group itself. You know the bit.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Live in London" is not actually bad for a bootleg recording from that era.
But then I grew up on Hendrix bootlegs...
What stinks is various record labels trying to make money off it.
I bet some of Buckingham/Nicks era fans have bought that
based on the low price and thought "what the heck?".
It's definitely woth buying if you find it real cheap.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I bet some of Buckingham/Nicks era fans have bought that
based on the low price and thought "what the heck?".
It's definitely woth buying if you find it real cheap.
Well when I was just a new Mac fan I bought a cd that had the Rumours lineup on the front (pretty much the only lineup I really knew back then) and it was the Peter Green lineup on the album. Talk about making money off mac fans by false advertising.

Think it was called You Got To Move or something, and might have actually been another name for this '68 album.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
BINGO LAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Well when I was just a new Mac fan I bought a cd that had the Rumours lineup on the front (pretty much the only lineup I really knew back then) and it was the Peter Green lineup on the album. Talk about making money off mac fans by false advertising.

Think it was called You Got To Move or something, and might have actually been another name for this '68 album.
CLASSIC ROTFL
Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[...]... I haven't really listened to the Spencer material yet, but I'll do so soon. Any thoughts?
I'm more of a P G/D K guy, however I dig some J S statements and "Bleeding Heart" is one of my fav. Sound is rather good on my recording, but it's plagued with distorted spots (aud rec?)

/z