The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-20-2003, 02:28 PM

Exclamation 1-Star Reviews from Amazon . . .

For perspective, here are some 1-Star (i.e. not flattering) reviews from Amazon.com: (I'll post others in a different message)

Paul Duffy, Phoenixvill, PA
This is Motown music for white people: same rockers, same ballads, same lyrics, same beat, guaranteed to convince Clinton era self-satisfied baby boomers that if they're wealthy all is right with the world. Hard to believe this band was once a well respected British Blues band in the early 70's. Of course back then, Eric Clapton hadn't turned into Perry Como, either. Anyway, that was long ago. Since the alignment with Buckingham and Nicks, this out fit went straight for the middle of the road. Along the way, Buckingham recycled ideas that were kinda cute first time through, entirely predictable 20 some years later. McVie lays down bass parts by memory, Fleetwood injects ideas that suggest there was something at the bottom of all this, and Nicks seems to have embraced the parodies of herself.
Anyway, if images of Bill Clinton honking mediocre sax (and likely it was dubbed, given his penchant for inauthenticity) while FM paraded anthemic power chords over inane lyrics, make you weak with nostalgia, then this is for you. For anyone who welcomed punk's rebellion against the corporate formulaic bloated junk of the 70's, this will make you nostalgic for the vitriol of Johnny Rotten and Sid Viscious.
I've seriously insulted the friend who sat me down to listen to this by sticking a safety pin someplace private, but it's the only way I can deal with this garbage. Has a nice beat, though......

Christopher Dabrowski from North Augusta, SC United States
For even the most ardent fans of Fleetwood Mac, Say You Will may prove to be an epitaph on a tombstone for this once great band.
Though the abscense of Christine McVie serves as a dissapointment to most, that is not the problem with this release. The CD should have been entitled the Buckingham Nicks finale. While the rythmn section of Fleetwood and McVie are quite superlative in form on Say You Will, they seem like the backup of the other members.
The album is full of techno pop synthesized guitar and vocals by Buckingham and Nicks. It is completely divorced of reality as if
it were the remnants of some mad dream. Buckingham has never really proved himself to be of the caliber of former guitarists Peter Green or Bob Weston from the spectacular Behind The Mask release. Save for four or five songs, the album meanders on in the new millenium.
Fleetwood Mac should have called it a day after the great live The Dance CD. It was their peak of a very long career.

A Music Fan, Chicago, IL
Upon my first few listens, I feel safe deeming "Say You Will" a massive disappointment. The absence of Christine McVie is a major impediment since it is too Stevie and Lindsey-centric. The tracks are hardly memorable and some are downright lousy. Perhaps if they didn't focus some much on quantity (18 total tracks), the quality would be significantly better. The only standout is the title track, and even that song seems destined for obscurity and will likely wind up relegated to a doctor's office soundtrack.

Pink Floyd
Old 04-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They pretty much said Lindsey is a mediocre guitar player. Does anymore need to be said about their so-called reviews? They obviously wouldn't know music if it flew up and bit them in their asses. Clapton is FAR from the best, IMO.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:33 PM

Default Here's one more . . .

Wendy and Gerald, Moorpark, CA
About 1975, I was 30 years old when Fleetwood Mac came up with Rumours. Wow, what an album. I have loved almost everything they've recorded as a group since. Their live perfomances were just plain fantastic.
When they broke up, it was a terrible thing for music. However, their reunion was all the sweeter. The Dance was a great concert/dvd that I've watched dozens of times.
Christine quit the band in the middle of their tour, and that was the end of Fleetwood Mac again.
Now they're back again recording without Christine. I bought the new album with great expectations, but wondering what they'd sound like without her. Too bad I had to find out!
This album is a disaster. I can honestly say there isn't one song to redeem this mess. No need to analyze each song, they're all pretty awful. It hurts to say it since I am a very big fan.
When they recorded this album, couldn't they hear the difference in quality? Where are the catchy hooks and lyrics? I'm sure they worked very hard on this album, but where's the results?
I wonder if when they perform some of their old songs if they will sound the same. Christine was the voice on many of their biggest hits. If their new tour is based mainly on this album, save your money. Try to find a copy of Say You Will to listen to before wasting your money. They you will Say you Won't.....

Pink Floyd
Old 04-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Bob Weston on Behind The Mask? That answers that question. The first guy, well you know, a little Preparation H never hurt. And the third guy, well exactly how much time do you spend listening to music in your psychiatrist's office? I'm sure he's an expert of the doctor's office music scene. Oh well...
Old 04-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default WHAT ever.

"Buckingham has never really proved himself to be of the caliber of former guitarists Peter Green or Bob Weston from the spectacular Behind The Mask release."

Um, yeah, lost ALL credibility RIGHT there in that sentence.

I don't get these HUGE FANS that HATE everything about the album. Yeah, whatever. I've NEVER been so disappointed with a band I LOVED so much that I HATED their entire new album. Gimme a break.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think everyone on the Ledge should go to Amazon and post complimentary reviews for the album. I read those crappy reviews and my stomach turned over. I feel like that was the worst thing someone could of done on Amazon to the band. People read those reviews and if there are 1-star rated then that will turn a lot of people away. Who is with me? Lets go post some wonderful reviews for this wonderful album.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 04-20-2003, 04:58 PM

Thumbs up Good idea

Well, posting a review is a good idea to me. But I'd hate to see a lot of gushing comments just because we're fans. I mean, if you don't like certain aspects, say so. But if you truly love the album, let's get that out there, too. There are lots of four and five-star reviews there. Way more than the bad reviews.

BTW, I had a good laugh at the Behind the Mask reference.

Who the hell thinks Behind the Mask is FM's crowning achievement?

Pink Floyd
Old 04-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking DONE!

I went to put in my 2 pennies. I did GUSH, but I also was honest. I really do LOVE this album and I didn't embellish if I didn't feel it. So..that said, my review, I guess, will be up soon?
Old 04-20-2003, 05:31 PM

I think it takes several days for a review to show up.

Pink Floyd
Old 04-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking I love reading...

reviews by people who don't really have a frikkin' clue as to the album...Betcha that first reviewer just judged the albm cover and not the songs...Whatta putz!!! LMAO...Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-21-2003, 08:17 AM
Ledgie

One man's "one star" is another man's masterpiece. It's average rating is four out of five songs.

BRIAN
Old 04-21-2003, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by rianbay1
One man's "one star" is another man's masterpiece. It's average rating is four out of five songs.
?? Do you mean 4/5 stars, or that they like 80% of the songs?

According to Jessica @ lindseybuckingham.com, Thrown Down will appear on Friends soon so that should help even more.