Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie's lack of confidence

Like other hardcore fans, I was extremely dissapointed to hear that Stevie dropped Destiny Rules and Running Through The Garden.

It seems like she's stepping back and letting this be the Lindsey Show. We can only speculate on why those songs were dropped.
But gee, putting Lindsey's new songs (and Beautiful Child) aside, it becomes the same stale old set list.

After all these years, and all the songs she's written, wouldn't she want to do new things? Is attending a Stevie or Fleetwood Mac show just always going to be the same old songs, with just a couple of new ones?

There was a time when the songs of the White and Rumours album were new! And they played the hell out of them and they became classics. Could you imagine attending a Rumours show and hearing them perform just a couple of those songs?

If the newer material isn't performed, how is it ever going to get a chance? It's so frustrating!

Stevie is on autopilot when she sings songs like Dreams and Rhiannon etc... Perhaps she doesn't venture far beyond those songs in concert because they are easy for her to perform and are sure crowd pleasers. Still, I've read her mention that she considers her new songs some of her best work. So why doesn't she perform it? Just two measily new songs?

Given the long spaces of time between their/her albums and concerts, and considering their ages, how many more tours and albums can we reasonably expect from them? I wish Stevie would be a little bit more confident performing new material before the end comes!

Just my taste, but they could perform the entire Say You Will album, and I'd be satisfied and thrilled. I want to be challenged by the artists I love, not placated into numbing familiarity and safety.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Senior Ledgie

I see your point but I have to comment on a few things.

1) I didn't like Rhiannon because there was no piano to it, and it was a shortenend version. However, I liked the "wings" shawl she wore with it and frankly, it wouldn't be a FM show without Rhiannon.

2) I don't like "Running Through The Garden". However, I would like to have seen "Destiny Rules." Also, "Smile At You" which I don't think was ever in the set list. And of course, "Everybody Finds Out", which I think we'd all like to see live.

3) Stevie positively OWNED the crowd with Gold Dust Woman and Stand Back. So, in my opinion, you don't mess with perfection.

4) Beautiful Child and Goodbye, Baby did not get the crowd reaction they should have. They were beautiful, mournful, and "enchanting" for me. I think the crowd just wasn't familiar with them. Another reason why bands play the songs people will recognize.

That said, I think Stevie was totally on, very happy and content, nice to see her smile, she seemed peaceful to me but she still rocked out when she need to!

I can't ask for anything more.

susieq
Old 05-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a safe and easy to please the masses, isn't it?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

PenguinHead, I totally agree with you. She should be performing more from the new album. Actually, the one I'd most like to hear live is "Illume (9-11)" _ I think that would sound fantastic. "Thrown Down" is just a terrific all-around song, too. I can't figure out why that was never even considered for the set list.
I would respect the band so much more if they had decided to really get behind the new album on this tour, instead of making it another "Dance"-style greatest hits affair. They wouldn't have drawn the same crowds or have been able to charge the same sky-high ticket prices, but the show would have felt so much more VITAL. I mean, how can anyone wonder why Fleetwood Mac is no longer considered relevant, when practically all they do on the road is rehash their 1970s hits?
I'm sure I'll still love the concert (which I'm seeing this Friday). But as a rabid fan, I'd like to see them take a few more chances.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love all the classic hits too, but I wish they'd play some other Stevie songs in comparison to what they've chosen. The fact that Destiny Rules was dropped is a bummer. Its not a song where Stevie goes high into her vocal register. I love Stand Back, and its pratically a FM song now, but still remains a Stevie solo song and Id rather here EFO than SB. Just my $0.02...

Im alone now, with my thoughts...
Old 05-21-2003, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am SO SO SO excited about seeing them on June 3rd, but at the same time am almost devastated at the loss of DR and RTTG after the FIRST show!

C'mon!

I am sure I will enjoy the show, and I am grateful, thankful, and very appreciative they are even doing it, but it would be so much better the NEW material was being featured more heavily.

I totally hear ya!

-Sharon
Old 05-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I, too, am disappointed that Stevie dropped both RTTG and Destiny Rules...But it's something I expected because she does do this on concert tours whether due to the strain on her voice, personal stamina issues and/or her feeling that the audience wants only the classic stuff. She dropped Bombay Sapphires quite early on during TISL so I was anticipating something similar happening this time but wasn't worrying too much since my shows are early in the tour but to drop songs so early after the first and third shows was quite a shock to me.

but I'm very glad to hear that long-term fans and Ledgies still enjoyed the concert regardless and I am looking forward to seeing Lindsey perform. the only other FM concert I went to was Tango.

I remember a man when he said to me
He said, "What do you do?"
I sing...

S. Nicks

Photobucket

www.myspace.com/bellafigura64
Old 05-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I too was sad that they took out RTTG and Destiny Rules, as I saw them both in the Columbus show and they rocked! But, I have to say that even if you pull those two out, the show would still ROCK! The sound and the chemistry and the whole flow, was amazing and so worth it.
As for her confidence, maybe she is seeing how much Lindsey has grown and is so proud of him and maybe wants to shine more of the light on him.
Or maybe she is not as comfortable with the new songs as we remember before the tour started she was not happy that they did not have more time to practice.
Who knows...but I will enjoy them while I can..cause one day..and I hate saying this..but they will not be out on the road ever again...
Ok now I am depressed...

Tamara

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." --Eleanor Roosevelt

"Maybe now he could prove to her... That he could be good for her... And they should be together.." --SN
Old 05-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Unhappy

I'm with you, PenguinHead. I'm not sure why the songs were dropped, but I'm very disappointed that we're only getting two new ones from Stevie now. And not even two really strong ones.

One of the reasons I made it a point to go to some early shows was because I thought they might drop something. But sheesh...they only did RTTG one night. They didn't even give it a chance to fail.

I love, love, love Destiny Rules, but I can kinda see why it was dropped. It didn't really get the crowd moving. But why not put RTTG back in? Or try out Thrown Down in place of DR? Or Smile At You?

Truly, when I'm at the show, it doesn't really make that much of a difference to me. But when I start mulling over what the show could be like, it makes my head hurt.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

lol Mike B! My head hurts too!

Of course their show is amazing, and I won't complain a bit once I'm there. Hell, I've heard Landslide, Rhiannon, Dreams and Gold Dust Woman performed a million times...what's one more time?!

I just wish they would mix it up more instead of pandering to the masses (most of which are only peripheral fans at best). And don't get me started on how substandard, inappropriate (a stuffed bear?) and unprofessional their tour merchandise is. They apparently have some piss-pore decision makers surrounding them. Ah. Now my head hurts more!

Moreover, I'm somewhat fearful (for some unexplicably reason) that they won't last long enough to make it to Portland, OR
Old 05-21-2003, 05:32 PM
Ledgie

dont say that penguin I just got tickets to that show!
Old 05-21-2003, 06:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Do we know that Stevie dropped RTTG and DR?

People keep saying that, and saying that they're disappointed and disappointed in her, but do we know the whole story? Seems there's quite a bit of blaming Lindsey for someone Stevie may be totally okay with, and not necessarily due to her confidence level.
& the voice of a choir
& a melody...
nothing else mattered
Old 05-21-2003, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You make very good points flyfirefly!

I did preface that it was tough to speculate on what the circumstances that leads to songs being dropped from their set. But you're right, perhaps some of us have placed the onus on Stevie and Lindsey a bit too heavier than deserved. I'm guilty of that with Stevie, for sure.

Regardless of the circumstances, it's still a little disconcerting and frustrating to see the band you've followed and loved for 26 years live in suspended animation (live-wise) -- essentially doing the same show they've been performing since 1977.

And for those who complain that they don't like hearing new songs because they don't know them...where is the logic in not enjoying it just the same? If someone of that mindset is going to a show (which is usually is taking place to promote a new record), isn't it reasonable to expect new songs? If it's so bothersome, it wouldn't take much effort to get familiarized with the album before attending a show. That kind of "fan" annoys me!

My apologies for the slightly caustic tone...I've had a not-so-good day.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-21-2003 at 07:22 PM..
Old 05-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Doug B...you're going to Rose Garden show? Where are you sitting? My seats this time are a far cry from when Stevie last performed there -- first row! An amazing way to see a show -- youy become a participant and not just a spectator. Even got to shake Stevie's hand. This time I'm in the 19th row. I've fallen from grace.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie gave that interview a few years ago in which she said that the band learned a huge lesson on the Rumous tour. They played the (then) new songs and the crowd didn't take to them. Stevie said that the band learned that if those now-classic songs couldn't grab an audience, then the lesson is not to try to cram new songs down fans' throats. Her words, not mine. Anybody else remember this interview?

I think that they tossed in some extra songs at the start of this year's tour with every intention of dropping whichever new ones THEY felt didn't work. I don't think they picked the right songs to drop, but, then, there isn't much about this band's decisions to promote this album that I think have been wise.

I am disappointed that RTTG was dropped.
I am surprised that TD & EFO were not included. (They seem MADE for the radio, so I'd think the label would be pressing for their inclusion on the tour.)
I am indifferent over the removal of DR. It's nice, but if the set doesn't have room for Seven Wders or SOTM, DR certainly is not good enough to be included.
I am relieved that Smile at You is not in the set. This version would sound like a throwback to TOSOTM tour's Doing the Best that I Can.

BTW, as somebody who saw the show two nights ago, I will attest that Stevie does NOT leave the spotlight to Lindsey. The show is very much a showcase for the talents in their partnership.

- Jake

Last edited by darklinensuit; 05-21-2003 at 10:21 PM..