View Single Post
Old 06-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Gerald, the Marah record Kids in Philly is a must. It's in my top 10. It's just too bad the band decided to go commercial pop after that. Since you're a fan of the Eels, you're probably familiar with MC Honky's record. If not, go get it. It has a lot of sampling, and it's hard to describe, but it's great party music. It's also great relaxing music. Now that would seem contradictory, right? But it isn't, trust me.

Check out A3's Exile on Cold Harbour Lane. Great record, which includes the theme to the Sopranos, Woke Up This Morning. Their follow-up album, La Peste, is also very good, but I didn't really dig the most recent one. For a more acoustic sound, with hints of bluegrass and jazz, pick up the Be Good Tanyas' Chinatown. Refreshing. Next month, Cracker releases an album of redneck songs, including Jimmy Buffett's Why Don't We Get Drunk, a bunch of Merle Haggard covers and one or two originals. I have some of the unmixed tracks, and it looks very promising. A fun record for parties and driving.

If you like non-mainstream country, check out Rodney Crowell's The Houston Kid. I get chills just thinking about that record, it's so good and profound. There's a pair of songs about characters struggling with AIDS, one beauuuuuutiful song called I Know Love Is All I Need, some really deep stuff about growing up in an abusive situation. If you don't mind a little twang, this album is among the best you'll ever put in your player. Incidently, Rodney has another one coming out in August. From what I hear, it will be more of the same introspection and sparsely, but beautifuly arranged, production.

Do you have any recommendations?

Well thank you so much!! I'll try rodney, AND the rest. Cracker is always on my list, so I'm not afraid of missing that one!

Recommendations? Well, I don't know if you know Drivin'n'Cryin', but their Wrapped in Sky = album is a classic for me. And, more recent, the solorecord of their singer, Kevn Kinney called Broken Hearts and Autoparts ( ) is a great record ( recorded in one week, lindsey! ) That's the countryrocksuggestion. In Heavy bluesrock/stoner or desert rock or how you ***-americans call it the debut-album from Masters Of Reality is an absolute masterpiece, and their follow up, a bit more popcrafted but with ginger baker(!) behind the kit is awsome, too. Maybe it is difficult to purchase them (no big labels, Chris Goss, who essentially is that band, is constantly fighting the bussiness- i like him a lot), it is a problem in Europe! But this really is Led Zep=quality grooverock with a very melodic singer with a warm voice.

And then, a belgium band called dEUS (yes that's the way it has to be spelled) made a debutalbum (Worst Case Scenario) that absolutely belongs to the best alternative popalbums ever.

And of course if i am going to walk to my cd-closet....

But maybe this is enough for now.

Sorry, lindsey, are we overdoing this? on this thread, yeah. Lets do this on chitchat okay!

gerald