View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Gold & Braid never made it onto an album. It’s an oddity in Stevie’s cannon. It was demo’d for Bella Donna but never made the record. She then did a killer live version of it on the Bella Donna tour.
I actually think it is one of the best songs she has ever written. I was lucky enough to see the shows in Beverly Hills, and nobody of course had any idea what that song was. All we knew was that is was a killer song you could dance to. (There was an article in US around that time with some song titles listed, including "A Bit of Gold," "Braid," and "Blue Lamp.") I was at the theater with a sizable group of Macheads and fans. In fact, at first we thought it was not even HER song - we literally thought it was a cover of someone else's song. It sounded like something from Laura Nyro from her "Stoned Soul Picnic" or "Jimmy Mack" years.

Quote:
It didn’t show up again until the Enchanted tour in 98. The 1981 live version was included on the boxset.
I think that's right. Or, wait, didn't she bring it back for the 1983 US Festival?

Quote:
It was certainly a strange choice of opener but I love that she brought it back. The 81 live version is one of my most played Stevie tracks.
I wish the Bella Donna Ultra-Spiffy Deluxe collection had put one of the other 1981 concerts in the collection, like Oakland or Dallas.

I was thinking of great songs that Stevie has essentially neglected for decades, and "Angel" comes immediately to my mind. Fleetwood Mac does it for one tour and one tour only (and it is one of the set highlights almost every time it was done). Stevie Nicks does it for really super-short tour in 1981, and a few performances on her next tour. That's it. Crickets on it until right up to the present. Did she forget about it?

moviekinks.blogspot.com