View Single Post
Old 07-20-2021, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
The reason I got into Chicken Shack at the time indeed was Christine, not Stan Webb. Let's face it - he's a hardly bearable howler (to avoid the terms "singer" and "vocalist") and he's not much of a real blues guitarist. That said, it was the tracks that were mostly dominated by Christine's great piano playing and her haunting vocals (the like I've never heard before!) that drew me into the Shack. And - as I mentioned somewhere else here before already - another part that was responsible for that, was the tight rhythm section of Andy Sylvester and Dave Bidwell. So I could've done well without the eccentric Mr. Webb - with the Christine Perfect Trio, if you like.

But that was certainly not to be and by the way she'd recorded her eponimous first album and had a few gigs with her band featuring Top Topham, she'd already changed her style pretty much. Thus I had hoped that it would actually come to a much-rumoured blues album of hers, to maybe once more bringing her fine piano style and her satin vocals to the fore in an according blues setting. But somehow I'm afraid this is nothing more than wishful thinking again.
Yes, sadly, she’s never given us the twelve-bar blues album she threatened to do for decades.

But she’s never let the blues off the hook either. One in a Million, and about five songs from ITM are derived from the blues.

But yeah, that piano playing...we hear it on the first two Shack records and on Peter’s songs from Mr. Wonderful.