View Single Post
Old 10-21-2021, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

Truth is, most of the bands that rode the British blues boom were sub-par. Chicken Shack was more typical than Mac. When I listen to those first two albums, it’s Christine’s voice and piano that stand out. Webb’s guitar work, while above average and compellingly frenetic, is not nearly as distinctive as Green’s or Kirwan’s. His voice and songs are unoriginal, too. The rhythm section is...passable.

Still, it’s true that Stan Webb was the main focal point on stage and on the records. Discerning ears heard Christine and celebrated her talents. I think the most remarkable thing about her work on those first two records is her ability to understand and interpret the blues through her own compositions. She could comp with the band on blues standards from Buddy Guy and Sonny Thompson, but when she assumed the lead, she did so with original material. “It’s Okay with Me Baby” is structurally very straightforward and simple, as are all her CS songs, but the limits of expression she reaches from three basic chords is remarkable.