View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I hate that she performed "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You." That's an absolute "Stevie solo" song, as is 'Stand Back." I don't like that it's become a staple Fleetwood Mac concert song.
Au contraire. That '87 tour version with just "the girls" on stage was f***ing AMAZING!! That stretch of the set where they go from that, into "I Loved Another Woman" into "Brown Eyes" into "Don't Let Me Down Again" was the best four song stretch of the 60+ Fleetwood Mac shows I've seen starting in 1974. (and upon further review, the songs on either side of those were "Gold Dust Woman" & "World Turning"...making it a phenomenal SIX PACK)

Ok, so tell me what Stevie Nicks penned Fleetwood Mac song has the same rockin' power as "Stand Back" to get the audience on their feet and dancing 4 songs from the end of the set? Right...ZERO, NONE, NADA, ZILCH, ZIPPO, as in "There ain't one". It's a keeper. (although in '87, I shared your opinion, but soon did a 180).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Although I liked that they shook things up by opening shows with 'In the Back of My Mind." it was such a poor choice. They come on stage, the crowd goes wild, and then there is this long extended opening before the song starts, essentially becoming a buzz-kill, quickly sapping all the energy from the audience. It's a good slow-burn song for later in the set, but least effective as an opener. (That said, "The Chain" has really outstayed its' welcome as show opener -- predictable and stale. I was glad to hear, that on the recent tour they opened with 'Monday Morning.")
We just have opposing tastes ALL AROUND, don't we. That was the best effing opening I've seen Fleetwood Mac do. I was a little pissed off that they didn't do the WHOLE song and cheezed out into medley-ing it with "The Chain" (although it DID work from a lyrical standpoint, but I was looking forward to Rick's killer solo at the end of ITBOMM). I thought they should've opened the BTM ALBUM with the song as well. That intro of the song just screams, "opener". And, talk about buzzkills, their opening with "The Chain" during The Dance tour was the real snoozer...crowd goes crazy, and we get Mick pounding quarter notes on his bass drum for 5 minutes....at least the "In The Back Of My Mind" intro was INTERESTING with the voices & ****. "Monday Morning" wore out its welcome as an opening song on the Tusk tour (I have a BIG prob with that song anyway, since it bounced "Station Man" permanently out of the set back in '77)

Oh...and "Love Is Dangerous" was IN the set more than it was out.

Last edited by chiliD; 10-05-2010 at 11:33 AM..