View Single Post
Old 12-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It also consolidates the govt.'s efforts and aids the govt. with the collection of information on suspected people and the seizing of their bank accounts. In theory, the Act is a good idea. However, in application, many people from diverse political ideology feel the Act goes too far in its invasiveness of personal civil liberty. For example, people feel they have a right to rent a book at a library and not have the govt. track it. No such right exists per se in the Cont., but it is kind of creepy to have the govt. monitoring what you read. Yet, if someone was checking out advanced nuclear warmaking theory or biological germ warfare, I think the govt. should know about it. The fear is the govt. will use the info. in a much broader application than just for the "good" goal of preventing terrorism.

It also relaxes the criteria for obtaining a search and other type of warrent and in some instances allows a seach or arrest without a warrant. They also can hold a suspect for an unspecified peiod of time and have also used the Act and other laws to deny the right to counsel. Again, this can be seen as a good thing if it is used to fight terrorism. The problem is when they use this for other means.

In sum, I think the Patriot Act is a bad thing in application. I cannot, however, think of a better alternative.

save the cheerleader - save the world