Thread: R.I.P. Storms
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 12:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Has always annoyed me that those were dropped from the outset. But then again, so was Red Rover.

The way I see it, Stevie didn't give RTTG a chance because (if I'm correct) she just said "Here's a new song" and didn't give it any context. The way she used to introduce "Rhiannon" as being a song about a Welsh witch (sic)... that gave the narrative legs and helped people buy into the otherwise peculiar lyrics. Wasted opportunity with RTTG, given the great story behind it.

PS Same goes for Red Rover. I'm assuming that on the one or two times LB played it on the SYW tour, he didn't preface it with the current clear explanation of the lyrics, which is such a cool little story.
Agreed. I actually like the lyrics to RTTG quite a bit, all the stuff about Stevie comparing herself to a poison as she grows older, imprisoning others, having to come to understand herself, running towards what she knows is wrong, etc. It's a pretty cool window into her angst-y mind lol, especially given the period when it was written (1984 or so) at the height of her drug craze.

The problem is that the song was arranged strangely in both the RAL demo and SYW song. I still love it but I think both forms leave something to be desired. I thought the live clip we had came off very well. Would have loved to have seen it on the Live in Boston DVD.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)