View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
It's the only Rumours video I don't own(other than I think I have a vhs COPY somewhere). SO CHEESY. Old I'm Not The Boss's closeups are so ridiculous. Tango is/ was overproduced in every way possible. Every facet of it.
That's an understatement on all accounts. I am in the minority around here that does not really care for Tango. Like Time, it has a few excellent songs but its not something I care to play. I understand the pressure Lindsey and the band were under but its just way too programmed and over produced. Everywhere is an excellent example. The album track should have been the demo. A programmed track that they could have pumped life into like the live version. Then Everywhere fades to even more programming of Carolyn. Very little if any group effort. Chris's songs are good and the only ones you hear on the radio today. Even on 80s channels you never hear Big Love or Seven Wonders. They are lost in the glitz pop crap of the mid/late 80s. For an album that had several pop hits, it sold far less than albums that had similar radio success. I actually prefer Behind The Mask overall. This video of their concert is also typical of the late 80s. The visual was more important than the audio. I dont even like Tango's album cover. Slick, "modern" late 80s. Big hair, big shoulder pads, shiny outfits, Debbie Gibson hats, long gloves OH YEAH. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NOT AGAIN BABY NOT AGAIN

The reason Little Lies was the biggest hit and is the only top 10 single you still hear from the album is because it has life (sorry Steve, not because Lindsey left). Its not stuck in the programmed 80s sound. Thank goodness Little Lies did not take the same approach as Everywhere. It would not have had the same success. Long story short, Tango has good bones and some good songs and had tremendous potential but the big 80s synth pop controlled far too much of this album. Stevie contributed all "current" and freshly written songs for Tango. Someone should have stood up and told her the songs were crap and asked her to dig out an older song like Smile At You or something.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-17-2021 at 08:47 AM..