View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Mitzo, how could you leave off Rooms on Fire?!?

I never cared for Whole Lotta Trouble, in fact I find it annoying. But the podcast almost changed my mind- the lyrics are pretty good, and her vocal delivery is hilariously campy, but those horns or whatever, just too much.

If Rooms on Fire replaced Whole Lotta Trouble, and if Two Kinds of Love replaced Juliet, then I would agree 100% with your list. I also think side one is probably the best and most consistent work of Stevie’s career. Side two sinks the album, with the exceptions of Alice, Doing the Best I Can, and I Still Miss Someone.
Hmm. Room on Fire is just kind of OK for me, it is a bit too midtempo and a bit of a bore. Two Kinds of Love sort of embarrasses me with those lyrics and that sax and yuck. Could have been pretty but she sounds just dumb and overblown on it.

Whole Lotta Trouble is great fun, like a carnival ride of loud horns and urgent vocals and ditzy lyrics. A blast and I love it.

The second side is stronger to me except the first two tracks, Alice and Juliet and Doing the Best make a fantastic sequence, the last of the three being one of my top 5 Stevie songs ever. Juliet actually sounds like it was written over a drum track, the lyrics are stream of consciousness and the melody kind of seems improvised on the spot.

Funny we all hear things a bit different.