View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I don't believe that, either.

And don't hate me for this, but I've not really listened to Heroes much, in my life. Or Penguin. Back in the day of when I was really getting into Mystery, Bare, and Future....I had those on cd. I only had Penguin and Heroes on vinyl. And I've never really been a big vinyl guy. So I never gave either much air time. Just sheer laziness on my part.

But I digress. Heroes never set the world on fire. I doubt Bob would have left, if it had. No way did Heroes sell a million. Mick's own charts... indeed.

I did buy the 5 disc release of the Welch albums, but was moving shortly after, and it's packed away somewhere.
Maybe Mick's album cover scared too many people away Go treat yourself and listen to Heroes again. It has unique charm. It was my first Mac album pre Buckingham/Nicks. I love the blusey brass opener with Chris. It features an angry Chris song which is rare and 2 other love songs that are off the charts. Bob does great on Silver Heals too. I love Mystery and its always been a toss up which album is better. Why is such a strong lure to Mystery so that is impossible to ignore.
Its shocking to look back at Heroes being released in Sept 1974 and only a few months later Stevie and Lindsey join. They did that brilliant radio concert in December 1974 which was wonderful. Its sad we never got Mystery To Me and Heroes Are Hard To Find tours. Lots of drama killed any tours sadly Heroes is almost like a throw away album since its rarely even mentioned or played. You may hear a song from earlier albums but Heroes is like the step child which is ignored yet it was their first album to crack the top 40 with NO single and NO hits and NO airplay and NO tour. Go figure.

Edit: Silly us. We overlooked the biggest clue and signal some of these albums have not received platinum status. Mick does not have any of them listed for sale He is selling the gold Bare Trees but is keeping the platinum one I guess

Found this that could explain the multiple charts. It appears since 2016 RIAA started taking into account streaming and purchases. Prior it was shipments which is why some albums remain dead at 500k

Cut and paste from RIAA site:

RIAA certifications are based on wholesale shipments rather than retail sales. Since 2016, the RIAA album certification has also included on-demand audio/video streams (1,500 streams = 1 album unit) and track sale equivalent (10 track sales = 1 album unit).[2] Additionally, awards are only presented if and when a record company applies for certification. Therefore, the total certified units for a given artist may be incomplete or out of date.

Long story short, we may never know the true answer. If the Mac's label has not filed for updated certification by now, it will never happen.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-23-2022 at 06:18 PM..