View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
According to Mick (first book), Mystery was a hit in America, “and Fleetwood Mac at that point didn't mean s**t in Europe”. They had no money coming in, they had a lawsuit thing with Clifford Davies, the Fleetwood Mac name, etc. So yes, Bob was a catalyst though there were many factors that boosted the moving to US.

Bob Welch, in Los Angeles, was anxious to relocate FleetwoodMac to California. On crackling phone ransmissions, he worked to convince me we had to move closer to our all-important record company, our lifeline to our audience. He correctly saw that we couldn't win our lawsuit in England and couldn't make another record until we somehow proved who we were, and renegotiated our record deal. "We can't live on air," he told me. "We'd better get this thing going again somewhere else, or we can forget about it and all get jobs."

I got off the phone and looked around. England in winter seemed desultory, bare, and gray. I felt depressed. Finally I said, look, let's get out of England and go to America. The record company's there, and we have to tell them that we're still here, let's make an album. Neither Christine nor John was keen to do it.
Yes and from Bob's perspective it was even more convincing on his part. Luckily he convinced Mick because the McVies were not going to do it.