View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 02:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The hardest part is listening to people singing along to her songs in the Keith Urban and Harry Styles videos in total adulation and not knowing if she ever really felt that. I know there was a thunderous roar the second Mick hit the high hats on "You Make Loving Fun" in 2014, but that's really all I can think of. She was always overshadowed, be it Jeremy, Bob, or especially Stevie, and that seemed to suit her personality, but I wonder what she'd think of an arena full of people that isn't a Fleetwood Mac show singing her songs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I don't know if that mattered to her. I mean, I'm sure she knew that plenty of people that admired her and loved her work but she said many times that she felt she was closer to the rhythm section of the band with John and Mick as opposed to the stars of Lindsey and Stevie. She was never one who felt the need to have the spotlight on her even though she obviously deserved it.

Looking back, it's poetic that Songbird closed Fleetwood Mac shows for so many years. It was the one time that the spotlight was completely on Christine. She closed the show just like she is (hopefully) ending the tumultuous history of Fleetwood Mac. It's also coincidental that the Songbird collection was released just a few months ago.
I feel like she did come to understand what she'd accomplished, how much of the band's success was due to her work, and her "legacy" as LB would say, because during one of her interviews in the last few years she was asked (I think it was talking to Johnny Walker on BBC2...) something like what she would tell her younger self or some such and she responded with "You're Christine F*****g McVie, and don't you forget it"