Thread: Unexpected FM
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 02:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I heard Go Your Own Way in yet another television commercial today. It took me a minute to recognize it as it was re-done by a female-sounding group. I didn't make it to the tv fast enough to see what product was being sold...but it was definitely a new version of the song and not a commercial I had ever seen before. Seems like that song is fair game and open for almost anyone who wants to use it... I don't recall hearing that LB sold his publishing rights (but maybe he's sold half???) and if not then he'd presumably have some say in whether or not to let the song be used. Maybe he figures by now the song has been so "productized" by FM and the zillion re-issues of Rumours that having it appear in a commercial doesn't harm the long-standing artistic reputation it has.
Fleetwood Mac controls use of the song. LB gets money for it, but he can’t control the use of it beyond his role in FM.

You can’t take the money away from him, but you can take the control away from him. You know how that works. Think of Michael Jackson and the Beatles. McCartney couldn’t stop Jackson from putting his songs in commercials. But McCartney still got money from the use of the song.Meanwhile, McCartney owns the right to Buddy Holly songs and “over the river and through the woods.” He decides whether they are used in commercials.

As for GYOW, they are such embarrassing commercials. If it was for something cool like an amazing athletic shoe, that would be great. But it’s for old age medical products.

You can remember Lindsey talking about DS being used. It wasn’t a Christne decision, it was a Fleetwood Mac decision.

BTW, I think Lindsey still remains a member of Fleetwood Mac for that era, but there are five of them and if all of them have input then you know he can easily be outvoted.

Last edited by michelej1; 09-16-2020 at 02:09 AM..