View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
There is a fan account of Peter Green jamming for three hours on one song with the Allman Brothers at the NO Warehouse 11/70. That's why I believe the BMW story.
I'd be far more inclined to believe that account than that of Fleetwood Mac jamming for four hours on one song. Jamming with the Allman Brothers, Peter Green would have been able to share the load of playing, not having to bear much or most of the lead work himself. Jamming was never a strength for Danny Kirwan, and listening to Fleetwood Mac's jams on "Rattlesnake Shake" or "Coming Your Way", he could tend to get into a rut with his playing (as could Peter on occasion). As you well know, the Allman Brothers, along with a handful of other bands, were known for very long jams - Fleetwood Mac never were known for jams of great length. The longest surviving jams we have from the band were about 1/2 hour - perhaps the snippets we have from the early '71 tour jams come from significantly longer sessions, but we don't really know. Could they have managed a single four-hour jam? Sure, it's possible but I still have my doubts.

I guess I'm just a "non-believer" about this story, based on it coming from a single account from what I feel is a questionable source, so unless another source can be found for this event taking place, I'll just leave it at that.