View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Slipkid, I've read the accounts too. Still doesn't mean that they are true (conspiracy theory or not). The first account of it, as far as I can tell, appears in Bob Brunning's book - and all other accounts are clearly based on that one (including Martin Celmins' version). And the account in Brunning's book comes from Clifford Davis! So Brunning and Davis are now the authoritative sources for info on the band? And not as if Davis had any reason to build up another Peter Green myth... There are elements of Davis' story as written in Brunning's book that are extremely hard to believe, and in my view they cast doubt on the whole account.

I've never read an account by anyone else who claims to have been at that show who has repeated the four-hour "Black Magic Woman" jam story - though if I've missed one someplace, I'd love to see it. But with only Clifford Davis' story to base it upon and without some independent account of this incident, I still have major doubts as to whether it really happened.
There is a fan account of Peter Green jamming for three hours on one song with the Allman Brothers at the NO Warehouse 11/70. That's why I believe the BMW story. There are also liner notes from a 2 CD FM collection of outtakes that Danny Kirwan tried to brain Peter Green with a beer bottle out of pure frustation after the concert. I think that came from that BMW jam.

Bob Brunning knows Peter Green "changed" when he went to visit him around late 1971. He brought tapes of his Brunning Blues Band, that Peter had played with in 1969. Peter Green did not want to hear it! He just wanted to go to the local pub. The trigger happened AFTER Fleetwood Mac.

In Peter's case, he was never a true acid casualty. He was just depressed, because he felt the burdon of ripping off authentic American black blues musicians. Which is silly compared to Jimmy Page. What a waste.

Last edited by slipkid; 03-12-2012 at 01:24 AM..