Thread: Mirage at 40
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 04:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This was a great article. Thanks for sharing. Mirage is very special to me because it was the start of my cult worship of the band. When I first joined this board, Mirage was trashed as much as Say You Will is today. I am glad to see many warm up to this album. This was the end of an era for the band. Yes the band did regroup 5 years later for Tango but we know it was not the same and pretty much a Lindsey solo album. Mirage is the last true studio album of the classic 5 line up. Stevie was in her prime vocal ability 1981-1982. My only frustration is that the angry Smile At You was left on the cutting room floor. Mirage is so poppy and upbeat friendly maybe they thought Smile At You did not fit with the mood. But I say that is the reason it needed to go on the album. The band was not getting along, drug abuse was rampant, solo careers scheduled. Things would NEVER be the same. No back up vocalists, no additional players on stage, etc. They could have milked Mirage for much more with an extended tour, a video for Love In Store, etc. It was the early 80s before BIG HAIR, drum machines, etc. It hit that sweet spot. The album was too light pop for rock stations so the album did not change things since Tusk songs were not being played on rock stations either. But the music is good and that is all that matters. There is a bit of irony how Lindsey took control of Tusk to not let the band be a commercial brand for the record company. Yet the backlash made the next 2 albums (Mirage and Tango) exactly that. Radio friendly pop songs.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-16-2022 at 04:35 AM..