Thread: 2008 Tour ????
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I think that's where the coinciding solo careers hurt the parent band. People start getting confused over what's a band song & what's a solo song. (same thing happened in the latter day version of Genesis with Phil Collins, too)

Sure, I would've liked to have heard more from Rick & Billy, too, on the two tours they were together. And, during the '94/95 tour, I would've liked them to have done their own thing instead of relying so much on the Rumours and Dave Mason material. Had they just come out & packed the set with NEW material and mixed in a couple of Rumours tunes (and "Oh Well") and maybe one or two Dave Mason solo hits, I think that lineup would've gotten more respect. That is kind of the formula in what they did in '75...played a few Fleetwood Mac "oldies", added a couple of Buckingham Nicks tunes, and the rest of the set was their latest material and there you have it.

I do completely agree with you about the solo carrers hurting the band as a whole. and Im saying this with much respect, but its mostly Stevies problem. Shes the one who kept putting out records, and touring [sure, Chris had 1 record and toured had a hit, and a minor hit, big deal, and Linds put out 2 records, has a couple of hits, but never toured.] Stevie had some BIG solo hits while with FM, and toured for EVERY album. that hurt the spectre of FM.
But I guess that was a good thing for all post rumours fans , while not being one myself [TBT, Im only on this board for this post, I wanted to see what was said.] I still respect the element the band was. More BTM than Time, but still.

I love how on the Tango/BTM tour they did Isnt It Midnight, and almost completely redid it from the Tango version, I still like the album version more, but the tour version is good too.

and to tell the truth, thats one thing I dont like about the Mac, is they rely on the Rumours stuff SO MUCH! They have SOOO many other good songs from the albums after Rumours [ie Tusk, Mirage, and Tango...and Im sure theres some good songs on BTM, and at least Chris' songs must be alright on Time], but they play between 6-9 songs off of Rumours alone! assured its thier 'best' album, and the one that theyre most known for, but look at all the hidden jems off of Tusk, and even Tango. Mick should have said on the BTM/Time tours 'while keeping the spirit of FM alive, we need to move on from those days, and start fresh, With a whole new setlist!!'

Thats JMO....

PS-I love the original version of 'Oh Well' probably more than Linds' version of it. And Rick/Billys version of it was closer to Peters than the Rumours lineups was. I am giving them credit where it is due, Im not trying to bash them. just stating that I dont like what they did with certain songs....such as GOYW.