View Single Post
Old 02-26-2023, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
All very interesting. I'd certainly believe that Mick knew more about this than he ever let on. I think at that time, both John and Chris had said they might be leaving the band also, things had just gotten very bad and maybe it was mick's way of somehow hanging on and thinking he could move forward w fm on a different path...always Mick's mindset was 'how can i keep this going?'

--Lis
And then there is the poster that Clifford put up, advertising the NEW Fleetwood Mac, featuring Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie. So I am not sure what was going on there. Mick says in his book, "we saw what was going but we just sort of let it happen to ourselves" [not exact quote].

Clifford Davis HATED Bob Welch. Comments he made in Bob Brunning's book make that clear. But I suspect even Clifford knew replacing someone entirely unique to the scene like Christine or someone with such visual flair as Mick would make things difficult. The band would move from a group of people with personality to a collection of highly competent professionals. I suspect Davis thought he could strong arm the group into the fold by getting the ball rolling without them. Then, with their tails between their legs, they would come back. To this end, maybe Mick felt initially he had no choice but to give Davis some commitment, however tenuous.